Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaleidoscope 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Its a month a before?

Yeah, I misread it first. Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

desk tidy wrote: »
    Looks like it was up on their website but they took it down.

28th - 30th June 2019

Kaleidoscope Family Festival

The first annual Kaleidoscope Family Music & Arts Festival on the picturesque grounds of Russborough.

good spot!
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uQEEP6vOX6wJ:www.russborough.ie/whats-on+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

The lineup for both of these tomorrow now makes for very interesting reading.

This new one is just one week after B&S. I wonder how they feel about that.

Looks like it was up on their website but they took it down.

28th - 30th June 2019

Kaleidoscope Family Festival

The first annual Kaleidoscope Family Music & Arts Festival on the picturesque grounds of Russborough.

First ever post .. suspicious intentional leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I guess I was wrong on the date then probably thought to rival ATN would be on the same weekend. Looks interesting though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Was thinking the same , Maybe they have been listening to these threads :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I wonder what size festival we are talking about? 'Family friendly' would suggest smaller - 10k to 20k perhaps?

If it is on the bigger side of that, they haven't left a huge amount of time for sales so the line up would want to be pretty clear in what it has or to be pretty affordable to shift tickets.

Interesting anyway - media launch tomorrow is from 11.30AM so will be curious to see what is on offer for everyone!

I wonder what size festival we are talking about? 'Family friendly' would suggest smaller - 10k to 20k perhaps?

If it is on the bigger side of that, they haven't left a huge amount of time for sales so the line up would want to be pretty clear in what it has or to be pretty affordable to shift tickets.

Interesting anyway - media launch tomorrow is from 11.30AM so will be curious to see what is on offer for everyone!

I doubt they are expecting a sell out in the first year tho , but yea i suppose they will still want a strong turn out for the first year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is the UK version not happening then?

3 months seems a quick enough lead-in time.

I doubt they are expecting a sell out in the first year tho , but yea i suppose they will still want a strong turn out for the first year

No, I would think you're right. They will certainly be looking at the longer game of the next 5-10 years and staking a claim for those that might feel that EP is no longer for them, maybe.

Even still, though, Festival Republic won't want money down the drain even in year one and if it is a 3-day camping fest, I'd wonder how many would jump on board - or how many of those that would like to jump on board have already gone for B&S, ATN, EP or other fests or holidays.

• Advertisement

I'm not expecting any more than 15k, and I'm not expecting the music to be a massive draw.

they're timing it with primary school holidays, so I'd imagine kids are the main focus and a nice enjoyable relaxed family day/weekend out will be the selling point, not music headliners.

It's the same weekend as Glastonbury FWIW, so might get a few of the smaller acts playing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Wiggles and Baby Shark to headline

maximoose wrote: »

Aaaand that's stuck in my head again.

Mods - surely that's worth a ban? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lol I was just about to say Baby Shark headlining.

I'm not expecting any more than 15k, and I'm not expecting the music to be a massive draw.

they're timing it with primary school holidays, so I'd imagine kids are the main focus and a nice enjoyable relaxed family day/weekend out will be the selling point, not music headliners.

It's the same weekend as Glastonbury FWIW, so might get a few of the smaller acts playing there.

Don't think primary school holidays are til July?

Looked like the London one was a 1 day festival with below line-up. This one seems to be over a few days judging by dates though

LIVE The Flaming Lips / Ghostpoet / Mystery Jets / The Go! Team / Beth Orton / The London African Gospel Choir presents Graceland / Beans on Toast / Oh My God! It's The Church / Xylaroo / Dat Brass

WORDS & COMEDY Dr John Cooper Clarke / Katherine Ryan / Mark Watson / Andrew Maxwell / Caught By The River / Bang Said The Gun / Funzing Talks / Jonny & The Baptists / Mike Garry

PERFORMANCE & THEATRICS Rift Theatre / Gorilla Circus / The Glory / Tin Shed Theatre Co. / Handlebards / Molly Orange

DJs & PARTIES The 2 Bears / Norman Jay / Mike Pickering / Don Letts / Hip Hop Karaoke / Soho Radio

FAMILY Science Museum / Flying Seagull Project / Chicken Shed Theatre / Albion Kids Show

Eod100 wrote: »

Looked like the London one was a 1 day festival with below line-up. This one seems to be over a few days judging by dates though

LIVE The Flaming Lips / Ghostpoet / Mystery Jets / The Go! Team / Beth Orton / The London African Gospel Choir presents Graceland / Beans on Toast / Oh My God! It's The Church / Xylaroo / Dat Brass

WORDS & COMEDY Dr John Cooper Clarke / Katherine Ryan / Mark Watson / Andrew Maxwell / Caught By The River / Bang Said The Gun / Funzing Talks / Jonny & The Baptists / Mike Garry

PERFORMANCE & THEATRICS Rift Theatre / Gorilla Circus / The Glory / Tin Shed Theatre Co. / Handlebards / Molly Orange

DJs & PARTIES The 2 Bears / Norman Jay / Mike Pickering / Don Letts / Hip Hop Karaoke / Soho Radio

FAMILY Science Museum / Flying Seagull Project / Chicken Shed Theatre / Albion Kids Show

Its all very "grown up", isn' it?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭desk tidy

Haha not guilty! Just a curious punter. I read gigs & events all the time but never post anything.

I think with it being in a country estate, family and arts oriented everything points to an old ep style festival. Now that EP seems to have good momentum going they can probably safely split it up. Even if the new one fails, by that time EP will be a fully fledged Oxegen 2 and be pretty unstoppable.

Will be sad if this is the case though as it's the same weekend as Glastonbury.

Its all very "grown up", isn' it?

Yeah it seemed to finish up at 10.30, probably because of a curfew if it's in a park in London. Finishes a fair bit earlier than a weekend festival but not exactly a kid friendly time earlier. Seemed to start at 12 so maybe idea was parents could bring their kids for the day.

Guess EP tries to sell itself as a family friendly festival too but is a weekend camping one. Not sure besides some things at Minefield maybe is there much going on specifically for kids at it though. Maybe plan is to have this as the more family friendly option?

Haha not guilty! Just a curious punter. I read gigs & events all the time but never post anything.

I think with it being in a country estate, family and arts oriented everything points to an old ep style festival. Now that EP seems to have good momentum going they can probably safely split it up. Even if the new one fails, by that time EP will be a fully fledged Oxegen 2 and be pretty unstoppable.

Which is what ATN is.

If they go for the same family/grown-up flavour as the UK festival posted above, I really cannot see this working. ATN was in first on the grown up front and has already established itself well. Also B&S is the week before and that has a solid family contingent year on year. No-one that is already committed to either B&S or ATN as a family festival will go to the new one this year. Families tend to plan their summer weekends out well in advance. The weekend this is targeting is the same weekend that many families with primary school kids head off on holidays before the UK schools break up and prices go high season.

Eod100 wrote: »
    primary schools usually finish on the last week of June I thought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

maximoose wrote: »

I wouldn't laugh too hard. They could end up taking a lot of the acts that would be associated with an older crowd and package them with the whole family vibe. That’d leave them with more money and space to go after the younger crowd without the hassle of dealing with families.

It’s been quite clear over the last few years that they’re not bothered with catering for the family element. A lot of the people that use the family camping are just local families. If this is the case it’s probably quite shrewd of them.

primary schools usually finish on the last week of June I thought?

Yeah you're right sorry. Got mixed up thing it was weekend before 21st. Yeah guess that Friday is start of the holidays

I see it as the complete opposite. old EP (ie. 10+ years ago) was somewhere where people in their 20s/30s (mostly) went to get mangled for a weekend. ATN and B&S are that festival now.

from the very limited info so far, this seems like the complete opposite, probably a nice, "middle-class" event catering for families, probably focused on kids play areas and arts/crafts and good food, with maybe a couple of music stages with a safe music booking strategy and probably finished up by midnight. doesn't sounds like there'll be any Rave In The Woods at this!
    (although given that we have very few details so far, this could be way off! :pac: )

i wonder how many extra tickets they can shift if they get rid of the family tickets/kid numbers counting in the capcity at EP?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I wouldn't laugh too hard. They could end up taking a lot of the acts that would be associated with an older crowd and package them with the whole family vibe. That’d leave them with more money and space to go after the younger crowd without the hassle of dealing with families.

It’s been quite clear over the last few years that they’re not bothered with catering for the family element. A lot of the people that use the family camping are just local families. If this is the case it’s probably quite shrewd of them.

Yeah that makes sense. Think the Monday is usually first day back at school for kids so not sure how many kids could be brought in first place there.

What is capacity of EP these days, like 57,500? Think Oxygen got to 80,000 in its prime so maybe aim is to to get to 67-70 over next few years. Freeing up space reserved for families could help them do that. EP probably are more aligned with Glastonbury-type festival than Oxygen. They must see a demand with tickets selling out in December with no sign of the line-up.

This festival seems a small but rushed. Whether that was due to selling out so far in advance or emergence of ATN is another question. Maybe they were planning to do it anyway but seems bit of a coincidence than it emerges when ATN starts. Then again maybe with a smaller capacity they're confident of selling out in the 3 months til festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BBeats

LIFE & Hi:Fi came close, but there hasn't been a decent dance music festival here since Homelands, certainly not on that scale anyway compared to events in the UK like Southport weekender, and Gottwood Festival

Mr.S wrote: »
    Bit odd to pair it with the EP lineup announcement though, or are we still calling that a family boutique festival ;)

I am guessing the strategy is something like:

EP: much the same type lineup as last year, mixed bunch
    Kaleidoscope: Safe music, family oriented

EP: we listened to you and are now bringing you more of what you want (aka Oxe2)
    Kaleidoscope: Safe music, we are the number one family festival in Ireland.

in 2020 neither of these will appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I am guessing the strategy is something like:

EP: much the same type lineup as last year, mixed bunch
    Kaleidoscope: Safe music, family oriented

EP: we listened to you and are now bringing you more of what you want (aka Oxe2)
    Kaleidoscope: Safe music, we are the number one family festival in Ireland.

in 2020 neither of these will appeal to me.

It wouldn't surprise me if that happened either, like you it would result in me not being hugely interested in either. They would be seriously at risk of losing the 25-35 year old age bracket (and more!) if they did that I would say. In a funny way, they would be playing right into ATNs hands as opposed to competing with them.

We are probably judging too early though, see how we feel about it this time tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm not sure EP needs to care about losing that age bracket anymore, it sells out in like hours now? days? It was skewing extremely young last time I went a couple of years ago, and I'm not sure a few thousand oldies are really their concern anymore.

I can tell you right now , i will do **** all work until this line up is announced. Ill be checking back non stop until i am disappointed with the line up :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

any chance it will be broadcast and we can watch it live?

Advertisement