Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this

Options
  • 09-03-2019 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

Clearing side of my house where I had a few pots and bits, found this.

I don't remember planting it! Any takers on what it could be? To compost bin it, or plant it?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd plant it, or even leave it there to see what grows out of it. A blueberry plant, perhaps?

Lovely doggy, BTW. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think it might be goat willow which can commonly self seed.

If that's what it is it will naturally grow into a small to medium sized tree so not ideal for most gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Thanks for that guys. I won't plant it in a bed, but for now will leave it in the pot.

That's Peter my dog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Cotoneaster?

Self seeds all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

100% Willow, which one is tricker but probably as already mentioned Goat Willow, Salix Caprea which is very variable could be a small shrubby form or far more tree like.

btw I grow about 40 different willows in the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Cotoneaster?

Self seeds all over the place.

Don’t think so

If its something, goat willow, that can be be grown into a dense small bush shape, I might actually plant it.

Lawn at front of my house slopes towards the house, and the first metre of grass at the house side is always pretty saturated. I'm considering making a bed all along it and planting some thirsty shrubs that can be kept 500-700mm high max.

There are probably a billion better candidates than this tree? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

My brother planted one of them near our house. We had to remove it with a track machine eventually. I tried killing it by every possible means but it just kept sprouting...

Defunkd wrote: »
    My brother planted one of them near our house. We had to remove it with a track machine eventually. I tried killing it by every possible means but it just kept sprouting...

Okay wow, thanks for the warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Clearing side of my house where I had a few pots and bits, found this.

I don't remember planting it! Any takers on what it could be? To compost bin it, or plan
    weeds, commonly found near new builds

• Advertisement
Advertisement