Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal orders

Options
  • 09-03-2019 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Considering using a postal order to pay a bill / fee directly to someone.
    Is it enough just to know the persons name and address? No need for bank a/c details i presume. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

In this day and age - why? Just ask them for an IBAN and do an account transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Why in this day and age would you use a postal order?

Edit: I was beaten to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

You basically just need to know their name.

There are two fields on it :
    Pay ......... (name of payee)
    At ........ (name of post office / town / city i.e. at Cork or at Dublin usually suffices).

The only time I've ever had to use one of these was to pay the Chinese Embassy for a Visa.
    Weirdly their only accept Postal orders!?!

They had no card facilities, won't take cheques or cash, you can't pay online and will only accept An Post money orders. I've absolutely no idea why that would be the case, but that's pretty much the only time I've ever had to use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Russian Embassy was the same a few years back when I was getting a visa

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Mountain_M78

Berberis wrote: »
    Russian Embassy was the same a few years back when I was getting a visa

Thanks to the last two replies. All i needed to know!

(U didnt say . . " in this day and age" hehe

Thank you both.
    Just a question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Thanks to the last two replies. All i needed to know!

(U didnt say . . " in this day and age" hehe

Thank you both.
    Just a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anteayer wrote: »

The only time I've ever had to use one of these was to pay the Chinese Embassy for a Visa
    I havent been in a while but last time they took some sort of AIB transfer I think, but out accoutant said it would cost even more and be more hassle.

To the OP, does your payee know your plan?? I would be furious if someone tried to pay me with a money order without asking first, and if I did begrudgingly accept I would be well pissed off at the fact they had to pay over the odds, that I did not get that money, and that I am possibly hugely put out by having to cash the damn thing.

I expect embassys stick with them as they are seen as official, traditional and tied to government bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rubadub wrote: »
    I expect embassys stick with them as they are seen as official, traditional and tied to government bodies.

And as good as cash so no paper trail. Not surprised it's the favoured currency of the Russian embassy!

Advertisement