Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What framework should I focus on (.net core or Laravel).

Options
  • 09-03-2019 5:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

Hi

I'm currently looking for a new job, following redundancy. I have around 1 years experience in Laravel. I've been learning .net core recently, I'm currently building an app following along a course. The stack is .net core web api , Bootstrap4, Entity Framework, and Angular 6. I love this stack it's so nice. I plan on building my own app soon.

Regarding finding a new job, should I focus on what I've been learning recently, or what I have work experience in.?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

For me it depends. How good was your redundancy, was it a golden handshake such that you need never work again? For my comment below I'm assuming it wasn't and that you will have to find with eventually. However, if it was then just stick to the framework you enjoy the most.

In the situation where you will need to find work, is there any good reason you can't do both?

Work on your new framework as a hobby most of your free time, prioritise your job hunt on opportunities in that area, since that's what you find most interesting.

As a complete practicality though, keep your skills in laravel fresh by doing at least a few hours a week, concentrate your job hunting in laravel on higher paying opportunities as you have the experience there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 coredev123

Baz_ wrote: »
    For me it depends. How good was your redundancy, was it a golden handshake such that you need never work again? For my comment below I'm assuming it wasn't and that you will have to find with eventually. However, if it was then just stick to the framework you enjoy the most.

In the situation where you will need to find work, is there any good reason you can't do both?

Work on your new framework as a hobby most of your free time, prioritise your job hunt on opportunities in that area, since that's what you find most interesting.

As a complete practicality though, keep your skills in laravel fresh by doing at least a few hours a week, concentrate your job hunting in laravel on higher paying opportunities as you have the experience there.

I was only there 8 months, but he said I'd get a great reference off him. I'm not desperate for work, so I'm willing to wait until the right opportunity arises.

I'm constantly coding now that I'm off.

Advertisement