Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should sports incorporate avenues for non-gendered people?

• 09-03-2019 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

So for example you would have men’s soccer, ladies soccer and then non-gendered soccer for those who do not identify as a gender.

Everyone talks about equality but this issue is being ignored?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No.
    Because it’s stupid imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭wobatkicker23

No.
    Because it’s stupid imo.

Excuse me? That is totally backward and sexist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

How is it sexist if you don't identify as a sex?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

There is nothing stopping transgender and non-binary people from setting up something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

So for example you would have men’s soccer, ladies soccer and then non-gendered soccer for those who do not identify as a gender.

No because it wouldn't be a level playing field and a fair competition.

• Advertisement

Sheeps wrote: »
    There is nothing stopping transgender and non-binary people from setting up something like this.

Transgender people and non-binary people have nothing in common?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What do you think?

No because it wouldn't be a level playing field and a fair competition.

I can’t play basketball in the NBA because I am 5’2. Are you saying that’s fair?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I have all the medals in all the sports in my gender-class, just because theres no one to compete against doesn't mean I shouldn't be world champion

I can’t play basketball in the NBA because I am 5’2. Are you saying that’s fair?

Yup you don't get to decide if you get to play in the NBA your talent and skill is what gets you there. So there clearly hasn't been a 5'2 player that has been talented enough to make it into the NBA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They all have heads. As Shakespeare wrote, “if I agree with you, do I not nod?”.

Where’s the league for people with no heads? Justice for the nodding-challenged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

You came on here, asked a question in AH, when someone who does not agree with you givers THEIR OPINION, you cut them down:confused::confused::confused:

I agree that it should not be incorporated as in my opinion, even if you don't agree with it I am still entitled to it, this is PC madness and everyone is afraid to speak out if they differ from it.:mad:

You are either male or female. Simples....

(Krispie now sits and waits for the ambush of band wagon jumping opinionites..):D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If there are enough non gender people available to play in sustainable tournaments or competitions then they should lobby to have them set up, I’d be confident there isn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

I actually think it should happen. I hope it gets the attention and respect it deserves. I won’t be watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sick of this gender/equality politically correct nonsense that seems to be nigh on impossible to escape these days.

To answer the OP.

Go on and ask me bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sick of this gender/equality politically correct nonsense that seems to be nigh on impossible to escape these days.

To answer the OP.

Go on and ask me bollocks.

And me ghee.
    Just for balance.

Yup you don't get to decide if you get to play in the NBA your talent and skill is what gets you there. So there clearly hasn't been a 5'2 player that has been talented enough to make it into the NBA.

So you think women should be competing in men’s sports and if their physical barriers prevent them it’s due to lack of talent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Again, what's your opinion on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

You seem to be looking for outrage and an argument op. Keep looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

They wont let me, a 40 year old,on the local U 21 soccer team even though I identify as a 20 year old.

• Advertisement

So you think women should be competing in men’s sports and if their physical barriers prevent them it’s due to lack of talent?

Nope I do not.

Would you like to see a female boxer fight a male boxer?

Don't care

Nope I do not.

My point was that me being too small to play in the NBA is the same as a woman being to weak for men’s sports.

You implied that I should be able to make up for my physical deficiencies through talent. Why can’t the same logic be applied to women?

My point was that me being too small to play in the NBA is the same as a woman being to weak for men’s sports.

You do understand that there are biological differences between men and women so in general yes women are too weak physically to compete in men's sports. If you think otherwise you are seriously deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You implied that I should be able to make up for my physical deficiencies through talent. Why can’t the same logic be applied to women?

Or a dwarf being too small for the high jump.

You do understand that there are biological differences between men and women so in general yes women are too weak physically to compete with men. If you think otherwise you are seriously deluded.

There are biological differences between me and the athletes in the NBA. Most obviously, height!

Or a dwarf being too small for the high jump.

Well in fairness they would be competing in parasports.

There are biological differences between me and the athletes in the NBA. Most obviously, height!

And your point is?
    Most men are more physically talented than women which is why they don't compete together.

I'll ask you again:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Have no division gender in sport. Then the best get paid the most / win things based on merit

• Advertisement

And your point is?
    Most men are more physically talented than women which is why they don't compete together.

I'll ask you again:

No I wouldn’t because I don’t think it’s fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Nope I do not.

If they are both at the same level why not?

It's not like they would pick two random boxers and pair them together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

There's no problem with transgender people in Motorsport. The car doesn't care what gender you identity with as long as you're fast enough.

No I wouldn’t because I don’t think it’s fair?

And that would be the same for 99% of other sports whether it's single competitor sport or a team sport. Yet you want there to be gender neutral sporting teams.

And that would be the same for 99% of other sports whether it's single competitor sport or a team sport. Yet you want there to be gender neutral sporting teams.

What I am saying to you is that I face much of the same physical deficiencies that women do in my pursuit to play in the NBA.

Yet I have to suck it up while they get to play in the WNBA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Muggsy Bogue was 5'3" and played 14 seasons in the NBA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So there clearly hasn't been a 5'2 player that has been talented enough to make it into the NBA.

There was 5'3 Muggsy Bogues... and he was even in Space Jam

What I am saying to you is that I face much of the same physical deficiencies that women do in my pursuit to play in the NBA.

Yet I have to suck it up while they get to play in the WNBA.

You don't have to suck it up you can go play in the NBA G league formally known as the D League and play all the NBA you want.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_G_League

Omackeral wrote: »

Was gonna post that but I presumed that the OP would knit pick and say that he's one inch over 5'2 so it doesn't count as a valid example.

You don't have to suck it up you can go play in the NBA G league formally known as the D League and play all the NBA you want.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_G_League

No 5’2 player plays in those leagues.

You don’t seem to be getting my point. Why can’t women suck it up and play in those lower leagues too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Was gonna post that but I presumed that the OP would knit pick and say that he's one inch over 5'2 so it doesn't count as a valid example.

You saw the future

• Advertisement

There's no problem with transgender people in Motorsport. The car doesn't care what gender you identity with as long as you're fast enough.

Women actually have an advantage in motorsport, because they are on average smaller and lighter, which allows you to ballast the car with a lower centre of gravity. Quite a lot of controversy over F1 drivers having to basically starve themselves to hit target weight.

No 5’2 player plays in those leagues.

You don’t seem to be getting my point. Why can’t women suck it up and play in those lower leagues too?

Because it wouldn't be a fair competition to have men and women competing against each other.

I feel like we're going in circles here a 5'2 man can't play in the NBA because he isn't good enough. To say that his height is the only contributing factor would be very naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Personally i'd rather see resources put in to mental health services OP.

I'm all for each to their own to a point. I'm getting uneasy with how far all this is going. These people have psychological issues that should not be normalised and they should receive the appropriate help that they need.

Where is the line going to be drawn between civil liberties/fair play and mental illness? It has to be drawn somewhere.

That's my opinion on it.

Because it wouldn't be a fair competition to have men and women competing against each other.

I feel like we're going in circles here a 5'2 man can't play in the NBA because he isn't good enough. To say that his height is the only contributing factor would be very naive.

What other contributing factors are there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is it nearly time for the pub yet. ?

What other contributing factors are there?

In no particular order:

Skill/talent
    How accurate is he from the free throw line.
    How accurate is he at shooting 2 point shots?
    How accurate is he at shooting 3 point shots?
    How good is his vertical leap/how high can he jump?
    How good is his defense?
    How quickly can he run the length of the NBA court?
    How many assists does he average per game?
    How many rebounds does he average per game?
    How many blocks does he average per game?
    How good is his work ethic?
    How good is his attitude?
    How many fouls does he average per game?
    From what part of the court does he make most of his shots?

In no particular order:

Skill/talent
    How accurate is he from the free throw line.
    How accurate is he at shooting 2 point shots?
    How accurate is he at shooting 3 point shots?
    How good is his vertical leap/how high can he jump?
    How good is his defense?
    How quickly can he run the length of the NBA court?
    How many assists does he average per game?
    How many rebounds does he average per game?
    How many blocks does he average per game?
    How good is his work ethic?
    How good is his attitude?
    How many fouls does he average per game?
    From what part of the court does he make most of his shots?

Are you being deliberately dense?

I am saying you can be born with genetics that determine you won’t play in the NBA no matter the hard work you put in. That’s seen as fair for men but the exact same argument is made for the separation of women’s sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Typically, anyone of any or no gender can compete in the "male" events if they're good enough, the only exceptions usually being fighting sports that involve contact, which is more about safety (and why we have weight divisions as well). The closed competition is the female competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Since there is no such thing as non gendered people, I vote no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I am saying you can be born with genetics that determine you won’t play in the NBA no matter the hard work you put in. That’s seen as fair for men but the exact same argument is made for the separation of women’s sports.

Smallest player in the NBA is current 5' 9" (175cm), which is about average height, sure the chances of making it are low, but it clearly is proven as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement