Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creedmoor 150th anniversary match...

• 09-03-2019 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

This has appeared on another forum that I write on, and I thought that it might engender some interest here -

Rick Weber has been hosting long range ML matches at the Oakridge TN range for quite a few years. It would be hard to find anyone that has done more to keep our sport alive for LRML shooting in the United States then Rick.

In 2024 it will be the 150th anniversary of the famous Creedmoore matches held between the Irish and the American teams.

Starting this year March 22 and 23, Rick has decided to recreate those matches held so long ago on Long Island. The matches will lead up to the 2024 match and the 150th anniversary.

Rick has been busy getting stuff ready for this year. The targets used will also be a recreation of the same targets used in the original matches.

There is a facebook page of Creedmoore150.

I spoke to Rick yesterday and he has some really neat ideas that he is working on. I cant speak to all of them, but I think in 2024 it will be a fall match, could be a week long, good chance that there will be teams with entry fees and nice prizes.

A good read for the original matches and how big of a deal they were for the times is the book "Irish Riflemen in America". This book I think is very interesting, it also discusses some of the sight seeing they did after the matches and how big of a celebrity status these shooters had. Also keep in mind that shooting sports at this time period was perhaps the most popular sport.

God willing I will be in Oakridge shooting in a few weeks and I am really looking forward to the 150 year match.

Wouldn't it be really neat if the Irish could put together a team and be here for the 2024 matches?

I am hopeful that David M. will hop in here and provide even more details since he is one of the leading experts in this area.

Fleener

David M is David Minshall, secretary of the MLAGB and many times international long-range shooter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi can’t seem to find it on Facebook can you add the link please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I have just received this message from Art Fleener over in the USA, after I mentioned the possibility that there may not necessarily be many rifles suitable for this kind of shooting match in the Republic.

'Tac - I would be willing to loan a LRML rifle to an Irish shooter and all the necessary things to shoot. I think that I could find others that would do the same, enough for a 4 person Irish team if you are so inclined. I realize that they would not be necessarily as competitive as they could be, but I know our shooters here, they would have plenty of help and friendship.

Art'

Seems like a bona fide offer to me, and knowing Art Fleener by repute, i'm sure it is.

Any takers?

If so, please contact David Minshall in the first instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Tac,
    I take it this lad knows that there is an Irish team and a US team that has been shooting the Creedmore cup every3or 4?? years in Ireland at Midlands rifle range and are now this year shooting it in the USA?:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Not with muzzleloading rifles, or with cartridge-firing long-range rifles of .45calibre or over. This is to be a replication of the original Creedmore shoot in which the Irish team came within a whisker of beating the American home team. I recall that they only lost, by the smallest margin, because one team member put a shot on the wrong target, an easy thing to do at 1000, 1100 and 1200 yards.

I'm sorry, I thought that was clear from the title - ML - muzzleloading. This year, however, and right up to the actual competition in 2024, BP suitable long-range BP cartridge rifles like the Remington rolling Block and Sharps will be permitted. You will recall that at the original competition the Irish team were shooting Rigby-style and Rigby-built muzzle-loading rifles, and the Americans were not.

I'm only posting this, in spite of my posting a while back in which I said that I would not post any more about this kind of shooting because the likelihood of anybody here learning about it is pretty slim. Also, there ARE shooters in Northern Ireland who may well express some interest in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

AH...Thanks! that makes sense now.:pac: The who won the Creedmore is another one of those non-stop shooting debates like 45ACP Vs 9mm. Could be argued also the Irish won it, because one of the US teams had a misfire on one shot too.

Always did fancy a "Quigley style" or Creedmore Sharps rifle myself. In a parallel universe,where such things would be legal in Ireland to own and shoot with not too much trouble.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Well, Art has offered the use of his genuine Made-in-Dublin Creedmoor rifle to any Irishman who goes to the shoot - can't be fairer than that. As we seem to have gotten about as far as we can here, would you be kind enough to take a minute of your time to PM me?

Thanks.

Okay, folks - this, I think, will put an end to my input on this thread. Rick Weber, the organiser called me late last night with this -

tac - Thanks for the emails, sorry in my delay in response.
    One good thing, 2024 is 5 years away. We have a lot if time to get support for the Irish - if they choose to attend.
    If the Irish due want to attend, there are plenty of USA shooters who have extra rifles and equipment who can have everything ready for the Irish shooters - especially when they find out how strict Ireland is in such as you’ve described.
    Thanks for thinking of this.
    Rick

I guess that if anybody else wants to know any more they can get in touch with me via a PM.

...and in the end, there was only silence....................I guess that having modern rifles that shoot like lasers spoils you for having to do some REAL shooting work with a bullet that trundles along a about a third, and less - MUCH less - than a modern long-range rifle bullet.

I'm disappointed - here is a chance to show the world just how good Irish shooters STILL are, and you've s**tcanned it.

I'll not mention it again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That is a great attitude to take when people decide not to partake. Insult them, and the Irish shooting community in general.

There is essentially no ML shooting in this country and if most lads are like myself they don't even know the basics for loading or shooting such a rifle and who wants to embarrass themselves especially on an international level?

Then there is a cost. An American trip can cost on average €4,500 per person. Some lads can afford it, and some save tirelessly to try and make it. Most though cannot afford such a cost. One trip, even every 5 years, is costly enough especially when you factor in the cost of maintaining a consistent level of performance throughout the year (practice, home comps, Bisley each year, etc) which can run into the thousands in travel alone. The average annual cost to a lad can be €2,500.

Lastly there is the REAL Creedmoor which most lads will aim for over some/most other event(s).

However you continue to insult those who may be interested and possibly put off anyone who might have had an inkling of enquiring about it. In case the subtle sarcastic remarks are a little too subtle i'll be blunt.

You're being downright ignorant and insulting, and frankly who'd want to be involved if this is your attitude. Simply because no one has the same interest as you, you accuse them of "sh*tcanning it".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tac foley wrote: »
    I'll not mention it again.

You're dead right about that.

Thread closed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement