Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hue vs cheaper alternatives- worth it?

Options
  • 09-03-2019 8:28pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have a good few Google homes, am starting to stock pile Hue products and tp link plugs in advance of moving into a new build next month.

Obviously Hue is pricey compared to other options (what I have I've picked up on specials etc), is ot worth dabbling in some cheaper options (thinking Sonoff, Ticken and IKEA specfically).

I've read here IKEA stuff can have issues...I bought a cap smart plug on Amazon and it stops now and again so am thinking it's not worth it and just stick with the hue and tp link stuff.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ive two if the yeelight and are very happy with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

ted1 wrote: »
    Ive two if the yeelight and are very happy with them.

Do you normally use hue?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do you normally use hue?

Nope.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have quite a few Ikea smart lamps. They are so much cheaper I just had to try them. I would estimate that 1 in 20 will have some sort of issue. However if you just buy a few spares you can simply swap out the faulty ones. Besides Ikea will replace faulty lamps without any question. Their returns policy is excellent, no argument whatsoever.

In summary, it’s definitely worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I think BK mixed and matched IKEA and Hue and ended up replacing IKEA with Hue in the end. You would probably be fine if you went all in on IKEA though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I have ikea on two outdoor gu10 lights. Have these in a night/day schedule and then a few hue bulbs in the house and a strip.

The ikea lights can be buggy and sometimes the schedule doesn’t kick in or the brightness doesn’t increase like it should.

For my need it’s ok but I would have fathered the hue, not a massive saving compared to getting some of the bargains.

I am interest in the sonoff light switches however for the three way switches in the hall and landing and for the led light fixtures I have with non replaceable bulbs or with too many bulbs to justify going smart bulb on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I have some IKEA bulbs on my Hue system. They do the job but we're a pain to syne to the Hue hub at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I've four Sonoff plugs and have had no issues in about 2 months of daily usage, switch on and off outside lights. Think they cost about €8/9 each, would have no issue using other bits and pieces from them

Advertisement