Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tell my teachers I'm in pain.

Options
  • 09-03-2019 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I still haven't told my teachers personally about my arthritic thumb and this past week it has been really painful with it only getting worse. I'm not sure how to approach them and what exactly to say. I'm shy and don't want it to sound like an excuse since it only hurts in the heavy writing classes which are Irish and English and I don't want it known to my classmates. They know I have arthritis as my parents have informed them but I'm almost too scared to tell them when it hurting so I push through it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Talk to your Year Head and agree on a way to let the teacher know. Your parents have already informed the school so there will be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Is there a teacher you trust and get along with? If there is nobody you can approach, maybe ask your parents to speak with your teachers? I understand that you are shy, but your teachers will not know of your issue unless you tell them ;) most teachers are down to earth and will help you out as best as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 G2fan

Is there a teacher you trust and get along with? If there is nobody you can approach, maybe ask your parents to speak with your teachers? I understand that you are shy, but your teachers will not know of your issue unless you tell them ;) most teachers are down to earth and will help you out as best as they can.

I'm not sure like when to approach them through, like they're never seems to be "right time"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

G2fan wrote: »
    I'm not sure like when to approach them through, like they're never seems to be "right time"

Just wait back at the end of a class for a minute and tell them when everyone else is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

G2fan wrote: »
    I still haven't told my teachers personally about my arthritic thumb and this past week it has been really painful with it only getting worse. I'm not sure how to approach them and what exactly to say. I'm shy and don't want it to sound like an excuse since it only hurts in the heavy writing classes which are Irish and English and I don't want it known to my classmates. They know I have arthritis as my parents have informed them but I'm almost too scared to tell them when it hurting so I push through it.

Forget about subject teachers... go to learning support or year head or deputy or principal. They'd be the ones to talk about it and see if they can help also maybe notify all staff , you might get some special accommodations for the LC if you have a physical difficulty.

Worst thing to do is push through pain , you can get a repetitive strain injury from that.

Don't worry about making yourself known, we have had a few kids with mobility / arthritis in our school and teachers are made aware and that's that. No big deal. Teachers can sometimes forget though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement