Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The message you have entered is too short.

Options
  • 10-03-2019 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭

I have been getting this message when I try to post.
    1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

To the best of my memory, it is happening with quoted posts only.

Here's an example of where it happened. The first time I clicked on submit, I saw the message above. So I clicked on 'back', hit Enter to add an extra line of space between the closing [/QUOTE] and my own text, and submitted again, and it posted fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I've been getting the same issue recently as well. I have to hit back and then submit again. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 attempts. I dont have to enter any extra text

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Perhaps you are typing between the quotes, which is akin to editing the quoted post, rather than a proper reply, which should be outside the quoted post.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Sounds like your whole post was inside the
    the first time
    Wearb wrote: »
    Perhaps you are typing between the quotes, which is akin to editing the quoted post, rather than a proper reply, which should be outside the quoted post.

if this was true then hitting back and the submit button again would not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No, that's what I thought at first - that I'd put my post inside the quote tags by accident - but it wasn't like that.

Either I just go back and click on Submit and it posts, or else I hit Enter after the [/QUOTE] and it posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there is an issue alright as i have been experiencing the following when i quote posts.
    1. when i click submit post, instead of submitting it brings me back to the page to submit the post. however the post is not in the box so i have to repaste it in and then click submit again.
    2. sometimes when i quote posts the post is not there when the page comes up, but the post hasn't been deleted. i would have to click quote post a couple of times before it appears.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

osarusan wrote: »
    I have been getting this message when I try to post.

To the best of my memory, it is happening with quoted posts only.

Here's an example of where it happened. The first time I clicked on submit, I saw the message above. So I clicked on 'back', hit Enter to add an extra line of space between the closing and my own text, and submitted again, and it posted fine.
    Hi folks, can you let me know what version of the site you're using, your browser, and the device? Are ye writing text immediately after the closing bracket, after hitting Enter once, or adding more line breaks? Also, do you preview your post or publish straight away? Thanks.

I have not been noting details of exactly what i am doing when it happens but i dont think it is out of the ordinary. I'll make a not when it happens again and post it here. How do i figure out what version of the site i am using? I am using it on desktop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Legacy site on Firefox. I've been getting it since Friday and just assumed it was the announced work on the site.
    Sometimes when quoting a post and replying, the quoted post won't show up. When it's just an ordinary reply being posted, sometimes I get the message is too short response.

For both, I just go back one page and forward again and the problem disappears when submitting reply.

Boards.ie Employee

Legacy site on Firefox. I've been getting it since Friday and just assumed it was the announced work on the site.
    Sometimes when quoting a post and replying, the quoted post won't show up. When it's just an ordinary reply being posted, sometimes I get the message is too short response.

For both, I just go back one page and forward again and the problem disappears when submitting reply.
    Thanks.

Boards.ie Employee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Legacy site on Firefox also.

Very similar to all that has been mentioned above.

Boards.ie Employee

We are currently upgrading PHP and running it on one node to test. When quoting or replying, you may end up switching to / from this test node, which can produce quirky errors like this. Thanks for highlighting and it is being looked into to ensure that this is the case.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

475311.jpg

Error page.

btw it worked ok on my second attempt.

I did notice that the page inserted a few spaces before my reply on my first attempt, but not on my second.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement