Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime wheels?

Options
  • 10-03-2019 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Anyone got experience with these? I'm upgrading the wheels on my climbing bike and I see they are very well priced and very light. My thought though is what's the catch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Andy Magic wrote: »
    Anyone got experience with these? I'm upgrading the wheels on my climbing bike and I see they are very well priced and very light. My thought though is what's the catch?

Have a few teammates with them and don't seem to have any complaints about them. Don't think the bearings in them are the greatest but you'd be hard pushed to find better value for a really decent set of wheels by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a pair of these:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/prime-blackedition-38-carbon-wheelset/rp-prod166557

They are light, roll well and the bearings are still smooth. They are still perfectly true.I have them about a year and a half. They haven't had a lot of use, they are my best wheel. I use the for sportives, summer days, high days and holidays.
    The hubs are rebranded Novatec hubs, which have a good reputation.
    Prime wheels have a two year guarantee and I think, I read recently, that they give 40% allowance on damaged or crashed wheels.
    Hub bearings and free hubs are available from C.R.C. and, compared to Fulcrum or Campagnolo, are much cheaper.
    I am in the market for a pair of wheels for my winter bike, the Prime alloy wheels are on my short list.
    These ones:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/prime-pro-road-wheelset-2019/rp-prod162469

They have the same hubs as the carbon wheels, that I already have.

If it's your bag, Prime wheels are tubeless ready, although that was not my experience. The rim tape had to be replaced before the tubeless tyres sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

They are very good . I’ve a pair of the 38s and a pair of a better known brand in 35 depth that cost more . The prime feel faster and spin longer when you spin them stationary. Delighted with them .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm returning a pair but there is nothing wrong with them. Weighed them in work and they were within a gram of claimed weight, seemed nice and smooth etc.
    I think the price is down to getting the market share first, and then they will slowly get closer to their competitors prices. Online peole seem to say that they are easily serviceable and any issues are hastily dealt with via the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ive a set iof the RP28s and love them. No issue at all. Have them a year now, not huge mileage on them but still fully true and are solid. Ive tight clearance on rear on frame and have never felt any rub in races etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I know a chap who's rear disc Prime kept popping spokes. First of all, the supplied spares were incorrect length (or so the LBS said), but when I've checked the spoke tension myself after the 2nd or 3rd time, all spokes were seriously under-tensioned. It's not necessarily a norm with Primes, just a piece of anecdotal evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

I love the look of these wheels, price looks fantastic for what you seem to get too and I am looking at these as an upgrade to existing wheels. I have never tried carbon rims so am wondering what the braking is like, especially in the wet.

I am no lightweight so worry that I'll be riding around with no brakes effectively if they have poor stopping power in the wet.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

I love the look of these wheels, price looks fantastic for what you seem to get too and I am looking at these as an upgrade to existing wheels. I have never tried carbon rims so am wondering what the braking is like, especially in the wet.

I am no lightweight so worry that I'll be riding around with no brakes effectively if they have poor stopping power in the wet.

Thanks,

I have a pair of the Prime 50mm Tubs and love them, they roll really well and I've no complaints about them, they feel like a more expensive wheel than what I paid!

However they are the disk brake version so I have no issue in the wet, I've not done any much riding on rim brake carbon wheels myself, but I feel like the common consensus is that in the wet, carbon rim brakes with a carbon brake track do not perform well compared to an alloy rim.

That being said, if you were worried wet braking, there are carbon rims with an alloy (aluminium?) braking surface that wouldn't be as light, but would probably give you more confidence in the wet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I have a pair of the Prime 50mm Tubs and love them, they roll really well and I've no complaints about them, they feel like a more expensive wheel than what I paid!

However they are the disk brake version so I have no issue in the wet, I've not done any much riding on rim brake carbon wheels myself, but I feel like the common consensus is that in the wet, carbon rim brakes with a carbon brake track do not perform well compared to an alloy rim.

That being said, if you were worried wet braking, there are carbon rims with an alloy (aluminium?) braking surface that wouldn't be as light, but would probably give you more confidence in the wet

Very interested in a disc version of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

godtabh wrote: »
    Very interested in a disc version of these.

Well worth the price of admission!

I think when I got mine, they only did a center lock version, so something to keep in mind too.

You can always shoot me a PM if you have any questions about them, happy to answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Alek wrote: »
    I know a chap who's rear disc Prime kept popping spokes. First of all, the supplied spares were incorrect length (or so the LBS said), but when I've checked the spoke tension myself after the 2nd or 3rd time, all spokes were seriously under-tensioned. It's not necessarily a norm with Primes, just a piece of anecdotal evidence.

I bought 2 sets of wheels from superstar components a few years back and they both came with spoke repair lifetime guarantees. There was problems with both pairs and there was a lot of sending them back for repairs. Both sets have been fine for a long time now. I'm convinced that if the right persons tensions them you won't have issues but if you get the wrong mechanic/builder (and I guess quality varies enormously) you're in for problems.

The major advantage of using a small reputable wheel builder as far as I can see is that you know who will be putting the wheels together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thanks,

I was all for buying a set of the RR38 clinchers a few years ago but the lack of reviews and the anecdotal evidence on some of the UK forums about braking being only mediocre in the wet meant I increased my budget and went for Fulcrum Carbon Quattros which have excellent wet braking and is on par with alloy rim wheels I have previously owned.

I am however considering a set of Prime carbon disc wheelsets for my winter bike.

The major advantage of using a small reputable wheel builder as far as I can see is that you know who will be putting the wheels together.

Maybe I should open a business... how much worth is 0.1mm lateral trueness? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭makker

Bought a pair of these, set of road wheels from the range, cost me about €250.

The front wheel was very untrue. Wasn't too bothered as it was more the rear wheel i needed. A lot of flex in the spokes in both wheels, low enough tension just going by pinching with fingers.
    Put them away for a couple of months until the winter and then put on the rear wheel. Rear wheel didn't feel great, loads of flex when climbing out of the saddle. Spoke popped within 300km.
    Got on to CRC. They said that spoke tension not covered by warranty so tough luck.
    Have got both wheels repaired now but not tried them as don't have much confidence in them.
    I wish I had added an extra tonne and got a set of zondas, much better wheels.
    Despite that, know a few people with prime wheels and seem happy.

Alek wrote: »
    Maybe I should open a business... how much worth is 0.1mm lateral trueness? :D

A lot I'd say. Ireland isn't exactly brimming with wheel builders. Most people here like myself have probably gone to the UK but would have happily done business here.

Building a reputation is probably the hardest part, many guys have bad stories when it comes to lbs mechanics and wheels

makker wrote: »
    They said that spoke tension not covered by warranty so tough luck.

Sounds mad, you would think a badly built wheel is the first thing covered under warranty. Did you end up dealing with someone who didn't know what they were on about I wonder.

With superstar components they give a lifetime truing guarantee (will replace 2 spokes per tru if need be) but they don't guarantee against hubs or rims

A lot I'd say. Ireland isn't exactly brimming with wheel builders. Most people here like myself have probably gone to the UK but would have happily done business here.

Interesting, I thought otherwise - thinking of the popularity of the sport... Haven't researched this before, as I've been building myself for myself and friends ;)
    Building a reputation is probably the hardest part, many guys have bad stories when it comes to lbs mechanics and wheels

That's true, it may be very difficult to gain a name, especially not working full time as a mechanic already, meeting people and generating some positive word of mouth.

Still, its not impossible, if I think of a business like this one in example: https://singletrackworld.com/gritcx/2019/02/06/first-look-custom-gravel-wheels-from-sharp-precision-wheels/

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭makker

Sounds mad, you would think a badly built wheel is the first thing covered under warranty. Did you end up dealing with someone who didn't know what they were on about I wonder.

With superstar components they give a lifetime truing guarantee (will replace 2 spokes per tru if need be) but they don't guarantee against hubs or rims

I was surprised not covered by warranty. I got on to them initially and they stated this but said to fill out a warranty claim form anyway and return and they would make an assessment. I did that and they reinstated that "spoke tension or broken spokes not covered by warranty as this is a maintenance issue"

In their defence they said as an act of goodwill they would cover the cost of repairs up to a certain amount (maybe €30 or thereabouts). Anyway just brought them to the cheapest bike shop I know as didn't fancy trying to get cash back off them, and got them repaired for €15 (10 for rear spoke and 5 for front true).

My main regret is reviewing the product without using it as you can't add/amend current review, as a bad review is there to see for all prospective buyers.
    Lesson learned anyway, ignore CRC emails asking you to review product immediately and use product for a few weeks before reviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Ive been running a set of the 50's tubular as my cx race wheels, they have taken lots of beatings and no problems. The hubs are very smooth so far as well.

Re a wheelbuilder, I have a very good one on Killarney, Denis O'Shea, The big little bike shop, he has built cx wheels for about 30 guys this year, and has rebuilt 3 powertaps for me over the last few years, Ive never had a problem. He's a class act.

Advertisement