Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Land/building hoarding in Sligo

• 10-03-2019 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

What powers does Sligo CoCo hold in terms pushing along development/redevelopment within the town boundaries? Can they write to owners of sites in zoned areas and of empty commercial buildings within the town and inform them that they are to develop/let/sell or face compulsory purchase?

Enterprise Ireland and Sligo CoCo have brought a lot of new jobs to the town in recent months but Sligo has had very few new planning applications made for new housing developments. People and their families will have to move into the town to fill some of these new jobs and I’d love to know where they will all live? Is it an option for the CoCo to CPO the eyesore that is the apartment block at the back of Glasshouse? It could help provide social housing units within the town.

In terms of commercial properties there are a number of buildings in the town that are empty, some derelict. How are these buildings aiding business and promoting tourism within the town? If I was a business owner within the town I would be asking the relevant people a lot of questions about what is being done to bring more life/business/tourism/development into the town.

The jobs seem to be coming but let’s not forget about homes/schools/a hospital building that is fit for purpose.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

In addition to the jobs and more will come once the next industrial park is serviced on the new road at Caltra.

This road and the bridge at doorley park will open up land for development.

Many of the jobs will be filled by people on the live register within commuting distance of Sligo. I think there are of the order of 7,500 on the live register within 45 minutes commute of the town.

Some of the jobs such as overstock will require staff to relocate to Sligo, while many of the jobs such as Abtran and Eir, (700 planned between them) I would imagine would predominantly be filled by people already living locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

And what about a revival of the Centre Block plan on a smaller scale?

Also are there any significant plans for the “buildings” along Adelaide St?

From the council press releases etc... O Connell St refurbishment starting soon. Also plans to convert Stephen st carpark into a civic space with a cantilevered structure over the river.

Other areas in the public realm are being planned for improvement. http://www.sligococo.ie/planning/SligoCityCentrePublicRealmPlan2018/

http://www.sligococo.ie/planning/SligoCityCentrePublicRealmPlan2018/SligoCityPublicRealmActionPlan.pdf

http://www.sligococo.ie/planning/SligoCityCentrePublicRealmPlan2018/PublicRealm_MaterialSpecification.pdf

Also the long term development is laid out.

http://www.sligococo.ie/cdp/

And the submission to the national planning framework.

http://www.sligococo.ie/planning/NationalandRegionalPlanning/DraftNationalPlanningFramework/SCC-NPF-Submission-Mar2017-300dpi-v2.pdf

And what about a revival of the Centre Block plan on a smaller scale?

Also are there any significant plans for the “buildings” along Adelaide St?

Some great plans on my links above. Some great ideas for the Abbey and opening it back to the river with a green corridor to one side.

dingding wrote: »
    From the council press releases etc... O Connell St refurbishment starting soon. Also plans to convert Stephen st carpark into a civic space with a cantilevered structure over the river.

Other areas in the public realm are being planned for improvement. http://www.sligococo.ie/planning/SligoCityCentrePublicRealmPlan2018/

http://www.sligococo.ie/planning/SligoCityCentrePublicRealmPlan2018/SligoCityPublicRealmActionPlan.pdf

http://www.sligococo.ie/planning/SligoCityCentrePublicRealmPlan2018/PublicRealm_MaterialSpecification.pdf

Also the long term development is laid out.

http://www.sligococo.ie/cdp/

And the submission to the national planning framework.

http://www.sligococo.ie/planning/NationalandRegionalPlanning/DraftNationalPlanningFramework/SCC-NPF-Submission-Mar2017-300dpi-v2.pdf
    I only had a brief look through these but they seem very detailed and impressive.

But this still leaves the question, what about:
    The Glasshouse apartments
    The Source building
    The old AWare shop
    The Adelaide
    The old Boots shop
    Broderick’s newsagents
    The old Brooks timber yard
    McCoskers/Gilroy Tiles on Castle St
    Kavanaghs pub
    The old Tommy Hillfiger shop
    The old cinema on High St

Not to mention all the small derelict shop units boarded up around the town.

Wine Street car park is one of the key locations in this town, and although it is better looking than it was this time last year there is nothing attractive about it. I thought the Council should design and tender for construction and say a 25year lease on a multi storey car park which would enable the current car to be redeveloped. This town has so much potential, particularly with tourism but the town itself needs to be more attractive.

• Advertisement

I only had a brief look through these but they seem very detailed and impressive.

But this still leaves the question, what about:
    The Glasshouse apartments
    The Source building
    The old AWare shop
    The Adelaide
    The old Boots shop
    Broderick’s newsagents
    The old Brooks timber yard
    McCoskers/Gilroy Tiles on Castle St
    Kavanaghs pub
    The old Tommy Hillfiger shop
    The old cinema on High St

Not to mention all the small derelict shop units boarded up around the town.

Wine Street car park is one of the key locations in this town, and although it is better looking than it was this time last year there is nothing attractive about it. I thought the Council should design and tender for construction and say a 25year lease on a multi storey car park which would enable the current car to be redeveloped. This town has so much potential, particularly with tourism but the town itself needs to be more attractive.

Have a look a the commercial property on daft. Some of these are for rent and owned by the same company.

I think Brodericks is going to be some sort of Yeats interpretative centre.

I think there may be an issue about the cost of rents in the town centre which makes the cost of doing business expensive there.

Nama would have / have had the glasshouse apartments but this may be resolved shortly so hopefully some of this will be developed soon.

Regarding the brooks timber yard the council have plans for the docklands area as outlined in the project 2040 response document.

The wine st car park was part of a land deal to develop the area. This fell through with the crash and with the recent upgrade of the carpark it may have reverted to council ownership.

I think there is no shortage of car parking spaces in Sligo with connaughton road, the glasshouse, quayside and wine st, together with the on-street parking.

It is planned to convert the quay st car park to a civic plaza / park in time.

The wine st car park was part of a land deal to develop the area. This fell through with the crash and with the recent upgrade of the carpark it may have reverted to council ownership.

I think there is no shortage of car parking spaces in Sligo with connaughton road, the glasshouse, quayside and wine st, together with the on-street parking.
    It was more in relation to the financial situation of the Council. I really cannot see how they could afford to lose out on income from parking fees while any significant development takes place. It would have to long drawn out phased development. That is why I was saying replace the lost parking spaces first then develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

It was more in relation to the financial situation of the Council. I really cannot see how they could afford to lose out on income from parking fees while any significant development takes place. It would have to long drawn out phased development. That is why I was saying replace the lost parking spaces first then develop.
    Sure they have been happy to loose out on a certain car park for the last 20 years

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Sure they have been happy to loose out on a certain car park for the last 20 years

On that point, is it more occupied than normal of late?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Occupied is occupied. They're going nowhere. There were a load of scrapped cars there last week that seem to be gone now.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Occupied is occupied. They're going nowhere. There were a load of scrapped cars there last week that seem to be gone now.

In fairness to the parties involved if the solution offered is likely to cause conflict it is not a viable option and I can understand refusal. On the other hand if you a housing list. offered a house in 3 different locations which you refuse, are you not removed from the housing list? Is this not a similar type of situation? How many solutions have been offered and refused over those 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dubonthemove

Enterprise Ireland and Sligo CoCo have brought a lot of new jobs to the town in recent months but Sligo has had very few new planning applications made for new housing developments. People and their families will have to move into the town to fill some of these new jobs and I’d love to know where they will all live? Is it an option for the CoCo to CPO the eyesore that is the apartment block at the back of Glasshouse? It could help provide social housing units within the town.

As someone who has moved to Sligo for one of the mentioned jobs I'm very disappointed with the housing available. I also know that I'm not the only one.

I wonder where the planners expect people who are moving to Sligo to live?

*The rental market is over priced and is very limited in quality and types of property.

*No larger family homes have been built in years.

*The council make it very difficult to get planning for a new home even if you do have parents / family from a specific area.

*Most houses that are for sale need a load of cash spent on them but the sellers still expect a premium price.

The overall housing infrastructure is very poor in my opinion. The council should be doing more to encourage developers to build, not just writing reports so it looks like they are doing something.

The local politicians also have a role to play. Its no use bringing more jobs to an area if the people who come can't find a nice place to live.

In addition to the jobs and more will come once the next industrial park is serviced on the new road at Caltra.

This road and the bridge at doorley park will open up land for development.

Many of the jobs will be filled by people on the live register within commuting distance of Sligo. I think there are of the order of 7,500 on the live register within 45 minutes commute of the town.

Some of the jobs such as overstock will require staff to relocate to Sligo, while many of the jobs such as Abtran and Eir, (700 planned between them) I would imagine would predominantly be filled by people already living locally.

If you called one of those call centres, depending on how strong their Sligo accent is, you’d nearly be better off getting an Indian call Centre instead. I work with a guy from Tubbercurry and I can honestly say I haven’t got a clue what he does be saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

What powers does Sligo CoCo hold in terms pushing along development/redevelopment within the town boundaries? Can they write to owners of sites in zoned areas and of empty commercial buildings within the town and inform them that they are to develop/let/sell or face compulsory purchase?

In terms of commercial properties there are a number of buildings in the town that are empty, some derelict. How are these buildings aiding business and promoting tourism within the town? If I was a business owner within the town I would be asking the relevant people a lot of questions about what is being done to bring more life/business/tourism/development into the town.

The jobs seem to be coming but let’s not forget about homes/schools/a hospital building that is fit for purpose.

Property taxes can be used to discourage the hoarding of derelict property. If a landlord is getting an income, fair enough but if the property is costing him money, he will be more likely to sell.

Property taxes can be used to discourage the hoarding of derelict property. If a landlord is getting an income, fair enough but if the property is costing him money, he will be more likely to sell.

So what I take from that comment is that the individuals/companies/financial institutions that hold these properties are not short of a penny and can afford to pay the tax and leave these buildings empty or derelict, to the disadvantaged to locals, visitors and those unemployed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

So what I take from that comment is that the individuals/companies/financial institutions that hold these properties are not short of a penny and can afford to pay the tax and leave these buildings empty or derelict, to the disadvantaged to locals, visitors and those unemployed.

For the commercial buildings if they are empty they don’t pay the council the corporation tax\rates what ever it’s called now. There was something in the papers last year that they wanted to vote on it in the council to charge rates to vacant buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Not necessarily, not that it would matter. Land must not be wasted. In some countries, ownership is based on a lease from the state in order to ensure there is no dereliction of property. If the 4 million people in the republic had to live in county Cork, we would have to learn to make the most of what we have and not waste any land. If you look at small densely populated countries like the Netherlands, Israel, Rwanda and Singapore, you can how this is possible with the right leadership.

Just happened to come across re vacant sites in Sligo and who owns them:
    http://www.sligococo.ie/planning/VacantSitesRegister/

• Advertisement
Advertisement