Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Impact cordless vs normal cordless

• 11-03-2019 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭

Am in market for a cordless drill and see sets with an impact cordless as well as an originally cordless.
    As the impact one;t has a 1/4" drive socket, it wont take off the nuts from the tractor :D
    Any thoughts on the pros/cons of the impact option: what are they useful for?
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Youdunnit

Am in market for a cordless drill and see sets with an impact cordless as well as an originally cordless.
    As the impact one;t has a 1/4" drive socket, it wont take off the nuts from the tractor :D
    Any thoughts on the pros/cons of the impact option: what are they useful for?
    Thanks as always

Drilling into Timber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Youdunnit wrote: »
    Drilling into Timber
    It has no chuck

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Impact drivers have a quick release chuck and the gearbox is different so there’s less speed and more torque.
    They complement a cordless drill but aren’t a replacement for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Great for undoing any screws, and hex bolts up to about 13mm.

One big advantage is that they’re smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It has no chuck

Apologies I meant Fixing not Drilling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Great for driving screws. Especially 50mm and up. The beauty of it is that you don't need a lot of forward pressure like you do with a normal drill. That makes it easier on your wrist and easier to use in awkward places like over your head.

They are not really up to driving long concrete screws and opening nuts. An impact wrench is great for this

I couldn't live without an impact. I have 3 that I use regularly. My drills are used a lot less. Maybe 10%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have a Bosch cordless impact driver which combines a 1/2" drive with 1/4" hex insert, I wouldn't use it for undoing wheel nuts but it's great for driving screws , hex head fixings and undoing stubborn fixings. Great torque and unlike a regular cordless drill/ driver no strain on your wrist if doing heavy work. I use it together with a cordless drill/ driver from Bosch, one complements the other but on it's own the drill/ driver would probably be more useful for the DIYer, that said I never use the drill/ driver to drive screws, it's purely used for drilling now and the impact driver for everything else. If buying as part of a kit/ combo it makes sense to get an impact driver as you'll get more use from the expensive lithium ion batteries.

Lumen wrote: »

I seen those before ,how would you get them back though out of timber

• Advertisement

I seen those before ,how would you get them back though out of timber

Really?

They're disposable. One hole per bit. A total con-job.

:confused:

Maybe hold off on offering advice there horse if you can't figure out how to take a (any) drill bit back out of the hole you just created with it.

I think some people here are confusing impact driver with impact wrench .
    I dont have an impact driver but was recently talking to my uncle (a full time cabinet maker) and he said once you get one its very hard to go back to a drill driver.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Really?

They're disposable. One hole per bit. A total con-job.

:confused:

Maybe hold off on offering advice there horse if you can't figure out how to take a (any) drill bit back out of the hole you just created with it.

You seem to be a bit of a d1ck about it but anyway

If they get stuck on a knot or not enough power

I should have expanded but thought it would be obvious

not if you're using a chuck but push in hex

There’s a reverse function too. They are torquier than an equivelant cordless drill because of the low gearing. You lose out on speed though.

That said, if you need just one tool and not have to buy all new drill bits, a cordless drill with 2 speed gearbox would be a better compromise.

You seem to be a bit of a d1ck about it but anyway

If they get stuck on a knot or not enough power

I should have expanded but thought it would be obvious

not if you're using a chuck but push in hex

You don't use an auger bit with an impact driver or a drill running in hammer mode.

So you put it in the chuck, bore the hole and reverse if/when you need.

You don't use an auger bit with an impact driver or a drill running in hammer mode.

So you put it in the chuck, bore the hole and reverse if/when you need.

There's times you have to be able to pull with an auger if you're drilling wood over a period of time

It's not always simply forward/reverse

And I've drilled an awful lot of holes in timber ,I was merely curious

There's times you have to be able to pull with an auger if you're drilling word over a period of time

It's not always simply forward/reverse

And I've drilled an awful lot of holes in timber ,I was merely curious

In close to 40 years using augers, the only thing I've 'pulled' the auger for is to clear swarf/chips as I'm working. Never to free a stuck auger. They're not designed for it and if you've used the traditional square shank augers for any amount of time you'll know it's a handy way to break the drive off them.

If you're doing it right, you'll never need to forcibly pull an auger out of anything. If you find you need to do that every now and then, well, you should spend more time being curious about how to improve your technique than what tool can compensate for your errors in basic work.

In close to 40 years using augers, the only thing I've 'pulled' the auger for is to clear swarf/chips as I'm working. Never to free a stuck auger. They're not designed for it and if you've used the traditional square shank augers for any amount of time you'll know it's a handy way to break the drive off them.

If you're doing it right, you'll never need to forcibly pull an auger out of anything. If you find you need to do that every now and then, well, you should spend more time being curious about how to improve your technique than what tool can compensate for your errors in basic work.

Disagree but I'll leave it there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Idioteque

I'd say for your average DIY'er doing stuff around the home, a cordless 18V Impact Driver + Combi Drill would be more useful if you were looking at a set.

You could alway buy the Impact Driver later if you knew you'd no pressing need for it. I used mine when building stud walls and attaching battons to concrete block but haven't used it much since, whereas I've used the combi drill for lots of general purpose stuff.

I use a seperate corded SDS drill for heavier work that I'd lose the will to live doing with a cordless drill - can pick some good ones up for less than €100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

At this point id buy an Impact Driver over a standard drill, I cant do any work without mine. My Bosch Cordless drill pales in comparison to me Brushless Impact. On all counts.

And they will take Express Concrete screws with ease. I know because ive put in about a thousand in the last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement