Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York holiday

Options
  • 11-03-2019 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

Going to NYC in a few weeks time. I have never been and would have a couple of questions if someone wouldn't mind helping me out.

Am I better of bringing cash with me? Or can I withdraw it from an atm over there? Do you have to sign when paying by card or is it pin verified?

Flying into JFK. Staying in Manhattan. What's the best way to get from the airport? Taxi or subway?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Bring some cash for tips on the way to and in the hotel. Put the rest on a prepaid card like Post FX.

Taxi to Manhattan, it's a fixed price from JFK ($55 plus tolls last time I was there) and you get to enjoy the sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Air train to Jamaica station, then subway to manhattan. One change but not complicated, cost around 10 bucks in total. Buses run from airport to port authority 42nd street for 20 bucks. Taxi alternative if extra cost not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

+1 on the An Post currency card.
    Use for purchases , dining etc and take cashback as there are no charges.
    Cash withdrawals at an ATM will incur a fee.
    Keep track of spending on the app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd go Revolut over An Post as you can top it up any time from your phone.

Air train to Jamaica station, then subway to manhattan. One change but not complicated, cost around 10 bucks in total. Buses run from airport to port authority 42nd street for 20 bucks. Taxi alternative if extra cost not an issue.

very handy and economical if you don't have lots of luggage.

use maybe revolut (download app and order card now). very handy for online purchases also.

basically you get the market rate except on Sat and Sundays when it's market rate + 1%

compare to near 3% on normal cc card etc

limited free atm withdrawal then a charge.

app is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just on these 3- or 6-passes you can get for the major sights. Is it an app you download on purchase or a card? If it's an app, do I have to download two separately for two people, or are two 3-passes loaded onto the one phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Are the an post cards chip and pin verified or do you have to sign like the old way. Thanks for the info so far. May get a taxi from the airport.

I see there are sims available on Amazon that work in America. 1000 minutes and 30gb data. Is that the best to stay in contact with at home and over there?

Are the an post cards chip and pin verified or do you have to sign like the old way. Thanks for the info so far. May get a taxi from the airport.

I see there are sims available on Amazon that work in America. 1000 minutes and 30gb data. Is that the best to stay in contact with at home and over there?

https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

Valid 12 months in 71 countries

Activate before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Air train to Jamaica station, then subway to manhattan.

What have people got against Howard Beach station? It's served by the JFK AirTrain, is closer to the passenger terminals and is also on the NYC subway network.

the posts below are from different threads but from the past 12 months ..........
    aaronm13 wrote: »
    The train is pretty painless getting downtown. Get the AirTrain to Jamaica Station then change to the subway.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109532245&postcount=9
    Don't know about Newark but at JFK, you do need to buy a ticket for the AirTrain ($5.50) which brings you from the terminals to Jamaica Station and you get the subway (using your Metro Card) from there.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108107015&postcount=22

The Airtrain serves Jamaica (NYC subway lines E, J & Z) and Howard Beach (A line), get the train to the station which has the better subway connection to your hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Sticky needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

coylemj wrote: »
    What have people got against Howard Beach station? It's served by the JFK AirTrain, is closer to the passenger terminals and is also on the NYC subway network.

Depends on what part of Manhattan you want to get too. Jamaica Station is quicker for Times Square and upwards whereas you'd be better off using HB if you want to get to the south of Manhattan. there's an Express on the E line too whereas I don't think there is on the A.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Depends on what part of Manhattan you want to get too. Jamaica Station is quicker for Times Square and upwards whereas you'd be better off using HB if you want to get to the south of Manhattan. there's an Express on the E line too whereas I don't think there is on the A.

So you'd agree that telling people about the AirTrain and implying (by failing to mention HB) that Jamaica is the only stop on the network with a link to the NYC subway is poor advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

coylemj wrote: »
    So you'd agree that telling people about the AirTrain and implying (by failing to mention HB) that Jamaica is the only stop on the network with a link to the NYC subway is poor advice?

No, not at all. Someone who works for the Howard Beach Tourist Board might but I'm just talking from experience. I didn't realise it was necessary to give an opinion on every single method out there even if you haven't used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

I would say the reason Jamaica is always mentioned is most people who visit NYC stay in midtown and would have experience taking the E.

The A is the train you should take if you're staying below 14th street or in Brooklyn, E if above, though if your visiting during the autumn or winter, always the E. The Howard Beach station is outdoors and can be bloody freezing, especially if the wind is blowing in off the coast ;)

I personally would always try and take LIRR if possible. Yes, its about $5 to $7 more expensive (peak v off peak) buy typically gets you into midtown quicker (about 20 minutes compared to 35 minutes on the subway)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Going to NYC in a few weeks time. I have never been and would have a couple of questions if someone wouldn't mind helping me out.

Am I better of bringing cash with me? Or can I withdraw it from an atm over there? Do you have to sign when paying by card or is it pin verified?

Flying into JFK. Staying in Manhattan. What's the best way to get from the airport? Taxi or subway?

Thanks in advance

I always bring cash and card if necessary. I use these guys who will bring you directly to your hotel and far cheaper than a taxi.

With regards credit cards, it tends to be signature in bars and pin in shops like Macys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Do I need to print out my esta and bring it with me to the airport? Or will it be in their system?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

No need to print. It will be on their system linked to the passport details you provided.

Advertisement