Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laws about guaranteed hours.

Options
  • 11-03-2019 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Good evening, I have a question about the new law surrounding guaranteed hours.

I'm working for company X for approximately 3 years. We initially worked under contracts with no guaranteed hours. However, I have worked full time (35 hours or more) since I started.

We received new "guaranteed hours" as per the new law. However, I have been "guaranteed" 24 hours.

My attendance has been perfect, aside from one occasion where I ended up hospitalised due to serious illness and was off sick (unpaid, documented with sick certs) for one month, last year.

My questions are -

Can they reduce my hours due to me being sick for one month last year?

And if so, do I have grounds to appeal on the basis of the year prior to illness, where I worked no less than 35 per week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

The 24 hours is probably just for the sake of the contract. I work part time and have always been on a 6 hours guaranteed contract but always get the agreed upon 17.5 hours. However, if they start cutting your hours down to 24 hours a week I don't think there's anything you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Hmmm.

Is this relevant?

Banded hours
    Where your current employment contract does not accurately reflect the average hours per week that you actually work over a 12-month period, you are entitled to a banded contract.

A banded contract gives you the right to work an average of the hours in your specified band for 12 months. There are 8 bands covering a certain number of hours per week (for example, 6-11 or 11-16 hours per week).

You can find more information in our document on the working week on how to request a banded hours contract and how to complain if you feel your request was unreasonably refused.

Advertisement