Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is Ballina like?

• 11-03-2019 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I'm in the UK but every Monday someone comes and takes me out who's come over from Ballina which is what made me join this forum. They told me tonight that Costa there is not very good. However there's a good pub by some river.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Ballina in Mayo or Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Crystal meth capital of Ireland.
    Avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Ballina co Tipperary? Pub on the river is Flanagans. Lovely spot in the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Jonathan1990

Ballina in Mayo or Australia?

Mayo must be the name of Ballina's county somewhere in North West Ireland I believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

I'm in the UK but every Monday someone comes and takes me out who's come over from Ballina which is what made me join this forum. They told me tonight that Costa there is not very good. However there's a good pub by some river.

Having a bad Costa would put me off travel to a place,alright.
    You have your adventurous head screwed right on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Costa is a dump no matter what town it is in. Mocha Beans is lovely. Two lovely places by the River Moy, Cot and Coddle and also what used to be called Crockett's(not sure it is still called that).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Dillons is also a great spot for grub

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Jonathan1990

Having a bad Costa would put me off travel to a place,alright.
    You have your adventurous head screwed right on.

I did have a look at places in Ballina on Trip Advisor.

Ballina is a grand town, but I'd be using it as a base to explore some of the amazing Mayo countryside and coast rather than spend much time in the town itself. There are good pubs and restaurants there, but the real beauty lies beyond Ballina.

Lacken, Killala and Ballycastle are 3 villages within a 30 minute drive of Ballina definitely worth exploring. Downpatrick Head at Ballycastle with its cliffs and sea stack, it's one of my favourite places in Ireland and if you like the great outdoors, I'd highly recommend it.

Costa is shíte in general IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Ballina is a grand town, but I'd be using it as a base to explore some of the amazing Mayo countryside and coast rather than spend much time in the town itself........

Exactly :)

OP, take yourself off to youtube to get an idea of whats on offer ( lots & lots ) in the vicinity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

My wife is from there so she'd kick my ass if I badmouthed the place. It's actually really nice though. Has a rough side but what town doesn't? The River Moy is a great spot for fishing and Belleek Woods are only a walk from the town. Enniscrone beach is only 10 mins up the road. The only quibble I have with Ballina (and Mayo in general) is the bloody drive to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

Stayed in Ballina (in Mayo) once; it's a decent enough town. Not really a lot to see in the town itself (though the cathedral's nice enough), but fine for spending the evening in, and there's plenty of lovely scenery and historic sites and such all around to go explore during the day (definitely don't miss Downpatrick Head). Don't know why you'd want to go to a Costa rather than one of the local coffee shops, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Some things I like about Ballina:

- the Jackie Clarke museum, a lovely little museum and garden in the centre of town
    - the Ballina Arts Centre - not the busiest arts centre in the country but they put on an interesting programme
    - watching the fishermen on the Moy
    - going for a walk in Belleek Wood and getting lunch in Jack Fenn's
    - The annual Salmon festival
    - having a cocktail on the Ice House terrace

Advertisement