Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new job problems with co worker

Options
  • 11-03-2019 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all - need advice on a workplace issue experiencing with a difficult worker

Working on a team of 2 whereby my coworker who is a level below me is difficult to work with to say the least - but am hesitant to make a complaint to management as this could affect the relationship and make things even more hostile but at same time I feel something needs be said. Even for my own sanity and to make them aware of this issue.

The co worker has done the following-

1.Refused to assist with work when I asked on one occasion thought was not busy at the time.

2.Yelled at me on the office floor when I worked on a query that he deemed was his- accusing me of " taking that to suit myself and to make myself look better" basically bit my head off over absolutely nothing

3. Does not do as asked at times - have numerous instances

4. Speaks in an abrupt ,aggressive tone

maintains a poor attitude( on mobile phone regularly throughout day - , negative , comes across hostile at times

the co worker is also new to the role but am cautious to complain as it will possibly make me look bad and could create a more hostile atmosphere...

any advice appreciated .. I feel I should say something but need to phrase and tread carefully

I am still on probation and he is not as is internal transfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

mkdon wrote: »
    Hi all - need advice on a workplace issue experiencing with a difficult worker

Working on a team of 2 whereby my coworker who is a level below me is difficult to work with to say the least - but am hesitant to make a complaint to management as this could affect the relationship and make things even more hostile but at same time I feel something needs be said. Even for my own sanity and to make them aware of this issue.

The co worker has done the following-

1.Refused to assist with work when I asked on one occasion thought was not busy at the time.

2.Yelled at me on the office floor when I worked on a query that he deemed was his- accusing me of " taking that to suit myself and to make myself look better" basically bit my head off over absolutely nothing

3. Does not do as asked at times - have numerous instances

4. Speaks in an abrupt ,aggressive tone

maintains a poor attitude( on mobile phone regularly throughout day - , negative , comes across hostile at times

the co worker is also new to the role but am cautious to complain as it will possibly make me look bad and could create a more hostile atmosphere...

any advice appreciated .. I feel I should say something but need to phrase and tread carefully

I am still on probation and he is not as is internal transfer

I could have written that post. Slightly different circumstances but very very similar.

I've tried calling him out, got aggression back.

Tried being overly positive, met with silence.

Went to HR, he denied everything, said all was going grand.

I count down the hours of the day and I'm sick going in in the morning every day, which is not how it's supposed to feel with someone you are supposed to manage.

Is there any way one of you could get a sideways job move? It's what I'm hoping for but for now it's a matter of coping. Make sure you take all your breaks and that you get out of the toxic environment at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

Caranica wrote: »
    I could have written that post. Slightly different circumstances but very very similar.

I've tried calling him out, got aggression back.

Tried being overly positive, met with silence.

Went to HR, he denied everything, said all was going grand.

I count down the hours of the day and I'm sick going in in the morning every day, which is not how it's supposed to feel with someone you are supposed to manage.

Is there any way one of you could get a sideways job move? It's what I'm hoping for but for now it's a matter of coping. Make sure you take all your breaks and that you get out of the toxic environment at every opportunity.

nice to see I am not alone on this.

terrible though - so would your advice be to do nothing ?
    I need to be careful how go about it

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Are you this persons Manager?

If so at next 1:1 explain behavior is not acceptable and improvements are required. Set out clear expectations and document it. Send the person a copy of the meeting minutes and keep a copy on file.

If you are not the manager. At your next 1:1 with your manager explain the issues and the impact. Let them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I guess the key here is whether this person reports directly into you or not, as mentioned above.

If they do, then I would be pulling them aside and telling them in no uncertain terms that this behavoiur shall not be tolerated. Are they still on probation?

If not I would speak with my direct supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mkdon wrote: »
    nice to see I am not alone on this.

terrible though - so would your advice be to do nothing ?
    I need to be careful how go about it

Be absolutely polite and professional. Treat the person as someone you might meet in a shop, i.e. you have no relationship with them. It will take time to adjust the mindset but it is ultimately healthier. I;m not sure about the supervisor just yet unless it is hell on earth. It may be the bedding in period, which can take a while at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Start keeping notes, and keep it very factual. You are on probation, so you need to keep this professional and clean.

Assuming this is an office job, I take it you can email him a task request (or whatever system you use.. point is, you want to build a data record).
    Do as much as you can with him via email, and set clear instructions & deadlines. Never give him a task verbally.

I had this with a remote colleague years ago and my manager asked me to track it. I created a log table in Excel something along the lines of Date - Task descriptor - Deadline met (yes/no) - Reason for delay/non-delivery - My Corrective action & Time spent
    Within 3 weeks, I had 25 tracked instances of her screwing up tasks, and she was removed from my account.

My then employer were all about the data, so in one respect, it doesn’t matter if he is rude on the phone if it doesn’t directly relate to what your team works on. If this fella is supposed to support your team’s tasks, and he isn’t doing it, then that is impacting your productivity. So if he doesn’t do his piece, log it.

I do wonder if his old team are glad to see the back of him, if he is this belligerent in a new job. Could be some horse trading in the background with management?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Reading OP, I am not certain that being "one level below" means that this co-worker is OPs junior, or is a direct subordinate to whom OP has to assign tasks.

My comments to the points mentioned, one by one:
    1. "Refused to assist with work when I asked on one occasion thought was not busy at the time." - what assistance are we talking about, is it included within his role boundaries/tasks ? maybe he knows that this is not for him to assist, so then it's up to him what tasks he prioritizes when he's not as busy.
    2. This is feedback, and OP must learn something from it for next time.
    3. Is OP responsible in assigning tasks to this co-worker ? if yes, then there should be a record of failed/delayed tasks somewhere before escalating higher up.
    4. I would take communication issues with a grain of salt; it may depend on cultural differences (such as ethnic background), or even brain wiring.

All workplaces may have challenges one way or another, its up for individuals to match them with opportunities for growth.

Advertisement