Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing the registered county on my car

• 11-03-2019 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Anyway to do this? Would like to have my own county on my reg.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't think you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Buy a new car, worth noting if you import a used car it gets the county where you reside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

you can :)

register the car in northern ireland, or england, and pay the registration fees. Then claim export rebate, then import car back into ireland and pay VRT.

Easy, possible, and not a bit cheap or worthwhile :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Squatman wrote: »

register the car in northern ireland, or england, and pay the registration fees. Then claim export rebate, then import car back into ireland and pay VRT.

Believe it gets assigned it's original reg that's matched to the VIN in that scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It gets reissued it's old ROI registration plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Doesn't the car get it's original reg if you reimport it?

Just buy a new car or import one OP, and be sure you are living in the county that you want the reg to display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Love then or hate them... I can't understand why we never introduced personal number plates.

(Reserving a number isn't the same)

I do realise that 113 , 911 are popular numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Believe it gets assigned it's original reg that's matched to the VIN in that scenario.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Mint Sauce wrote: »

Just buy a new car or import one OP, and be sure you are living in the county that you want the reg to display.

All above is not true.

After what Squatman is proposing so exporting and claiming VRT export refund and then importing the car and paying VRT again, it gets assigned new registration numer.

That seems to be the only possible way to obtain new registration numer for a car in Ireland. (effectively just changing reg number).

Please see below for relevant text from Revenue Document:
    6.12 Re-imported vehicles
    A vehicle that has been removed or exported under the export repayment scheme
    and has received a VRT repayment becomes unregistered in the State. If this vehicle
    re-enters the State on a permanent basis, it must be presented at an NCTS Centre for
    registration within the normal timeframe. VRT is liable at the time of registration
    and a new State registration number will be issued. It will not be possible to have
    the vehicle motor taxed without receiving the new registration number, as the NVDF
    will have recorded that the vehicle under the previous registration number has been
    permanently removed or exported. Displaying the original number is an offence
    under section 131(6) of the Finance Act of 1992 and is subject to penalties under
    section 139 of the same Act

Source: https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-03.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just suck it up OP.
    Get the right county next time you buy a car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

If VRT wasnt reclaimed on the Export does it revert back to its original number once re registered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

This might actually be the definition of a first world problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

bazz26 wrote: »
    Mint Sauce wrote: »

apologise and bow down to your master !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Well, that's 2 minutes of my life wasted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I keep saying that the Government are missing a trick here

All they need to do is allow someone buying a car the opportunity to request a new reg when the VLC goes through - charge say €100 for it even.

Lots of people (including me!) would pay it.. I miss my D-reg!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Black marker and tippex.

Obviously not road legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they should scrap the county regs altogether and just have random 2-letter codes. The name of the county is already on the plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

loyatemu wrote: »
    they should scrap the county regs altogether and just have random 2-letter codes. The name of the county is already on the plate.

No. Until the nonsense of 1x1/1x2 in 2013 onwards, we had a very clear, easy to understand system.

If we're going to scrap anything just go back to simple 2-digit years.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    No. Until the nonsense of 1x1/1x2 in 2013 onwards, we had a very clear, easy to understand system.

If we're going to scrap anything just go back to simple 2-digit years.

I don't like the non-standard nature of the last section of the plate, could be one digit, could be 6. A national system of YY-LL-NNNN would give us plenty of registrations in a standardised format. You could put the county crest on the place like they do in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

i quite like the plates, distinctively Irish.

Mind you, the County initials are illogical, all should be two letters....CK for Cork for instance in fairness to Clare and Cavan.

The Irish county name is superfluous too in my view.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »

Mind you, the County initials are illogical, all should be two letters....CK for Cork for instance in fairness to Clare and Cavan.

It was single letters for City Councils and 2 letters for county councils (hence Waterford having both W and WD). Now the merged Tipp councils have gone rogue by using just "T"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Easy. Import it into Northern Ireland and you can a plate from Antrim, Derry, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Armagh, Down or Belfast.
    I'd hurry up though, these will be AM, DY, TY, FH, AH, DN and BT before long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Easy. Import it into Northern Ireland and you can a plate from Antrim, Derry, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Armagh, Down or Belfast.
    I'd hurry up though, these will be AM, DY, TY, FH, AH, DN and BT before long.
    When did Belfast become a County?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

When did Belfast become a County?

When they gave out registration letters.
    When did Limerick city become a county or Waterford, prior to the amalgamation? They were county boroughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Anyway to do this? Would like to have my own county on my reg.

I'm guessing you're a Dub.

miller_63 wrote: »
    If VRT wasnt reclaimed on the Export does it revert back to its original number once re registered?

Yes.
    If VRT wasn't refunded upon export, car upon returning to Ireland is not due VRT and gets assigned the same reg number it used to have.

Isambard wrote: »

Illogical is that they had 26 letters in the alphabet, and 26 counties, but they still decided to use 2 letters for most of them.

Same as that they decided to split year in half, and use who character on number plate to be either 1 or 2 and never anything else.

Having county letter(s) in reg number is pointless, as it doesn't really show car owners county of residence (except on new car by first owner still living in the same place when he lived when he bought the car). pretty much useless.

If we want to go by years, let's do the following.

2 number showing year.
    1 letter changing consecutively every 2 weeks for whole year (26x2 week = 52 weeks = year).
    and set of consecutive numbers.

So f.e.

20-A-321 (car registered in first two weeks of 2020)

19-F-1005 (car registered in between 11-12 weeks into 2019 so between 12th and 25th March 2019).

It would be obvious that the higher the letter, then newer then car withing the year.
    So this would spread sales evenly over the year as surely someone with reg T could be showing to his neighbours that his car is nearly brand new in October, while someone with reg B or C got their car around January, February.

Having county letter(s) in reg number is pointless, as it doesn't really show car owners county of residence (except on new car by first owner still living in the same place when he lived when he bought the car). pretty much useless.

If we want to go by years, let's do the following.

2 number showing year.
    1 letter changing consecutively every 2 weeks for whole year (26x2 week = 52 weeks = year).
    and set of consecutive numbers.

So f.e.

20-A-321 (car registered in first two weeks of 2020)

19-F-1005 (car registered in between 11-12 weeks into 2019 so between 12th and 25th March 2019).

It would be obvious that the higher the letter, then newer then car withing the year.
    So this would spread sales evenly over the year as surely someone with reg T could be showing to his neighbours that his car is nearly brand new in October, while someone with reg B or C got their car around January, February.

• Advertisement

When they gave out registration letters.
    When did Limerick city become a county or Waterford, prior to the amalgamation? They were county boroughs.
    Why didn't you mention Derry City and County Derry then which have separate registrations(UI and IW)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

CiniO wrote: »
    Illogical is that they had 26 letters in the alphabet, and 26 counties, but they still decided to use 2 letters for most of them.

Same as that they decided to split year in half, and use who character on number plate to be either 1 or 2 and never anything else.

Because there are actually 32 counties and they were future proofing.

The real reason of course is that they are not county designated, they are Local Authority designated, and there used to be 29 of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The really humorous part is that while they respected the split county (TS/TN) and city/county (W/WD, L/LK) in many places it was completely ignored in the largest market, ie Dublin. No D, DF, DS, DLR etc. Imagine the plate snobbery which could have ensued.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The really humorous part is that while they respected the split county (TS/TN) and city/county (W/WD, L/LK) in many places it was completely ignored in the largest market, ie Dublin. No D, DF, DS, DLR etc. Imagine the plate snobbery which could have ensued.
    Dublin County Council wasn't split until 1994 - 7 years after the new system came in. Even though I live in Fingal, my motor tax is still payable to Dublin City Council.

....and Fingal wouldn't be 'DF' - it would be 'F' or 'FL'. It's not 'Dublin Fingal', it's simply Fingal.

Dublin County Council wasn't split until 1994 - 7 years after the new system came in. Even though I live in Fingal, my motor tax is still payable to Dublin City Council.

....and Fingal wouldn't be 'DF' - it would be 'F' or 'FL'. It's not 'Dublin Fingal', it's simply Fingal.

there were 2 different local authorities then though, Dublin Corpo, and Dublin Co Co. I assume the Corpo handled all the licensing requests for the county, and the same in Cork and Galway. I'm also assuming the system is all centralised now (in Shannon?) so the county codes are a historical legacy we could just get rid of.

YY-LL-NNN
    start with (say) 19-AA-001 and just increment the number until it rolls over to from 19-AA-999 to 19-AB-001 and so on
    that's over half a million potential plates a year (even if you leave out I and O to avoid confusion). Stick the county crest on the opposite end to the Euro flag and you're done. The mayor could still be reserved 19-DN-0001 if so desired. You could even allow people to reserve certain personalised plates if they're sad enough to want that (19-LV-1979 for our glorious leader?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

loyatemu wrote: »
    there were 2 different local authorities then though, Dublin Corpo, and Dublin Co Co. I assume the Corpo handled all the licensing requests for the county, and the same in Cork and Galway. I'm also assuming the system is all centralised now (in Shannon?) so the county codes are a historical legacy we could just get rid of.

the plates are based on the local authorities who collect motor tax. Motor tax is still collected by LAs and is not centralised

DCC collect all of the 4 Dublin LAs motor tax hence there is only D

same for Cork

TN and TS were two different LAs, They have recently been merged and so now there is only T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Whatever county you pay the VRT in, is the county on the reg plate.

Been there, bought car in Belfast to take back to Wicklow, but paid VRT in Letterkenny as I was visiting relatives before heading south. As a result, got DL on the plate even though the car hasn't spent a single night in Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Gazzmonkey wrote: »

Been there, bought car in Belfast to take back to Wicklow, but paid VRT in Letterkenny as I was visiting relatives before heading south. As a result, got DL on the plate even though the car hasn't spent a single night in Donegal.

It's whatever address you put on the application...not where you paid for it.

i believe you should be able to choose your plate in it's entirety , if want to pay for the privilege, and the year and County could be shown separately (ie where the County name now is ) provided it's not obscene or offensive, and you should be able to swap the number between vehicles and sell it if it suits . Thus I could have 1 SAM BARD if i so wanted.

Such an obvious source of revenue, I can't think why the Govt. doesn't currently do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

All they need to do is allow someone buying a car the opportunity to request a new reg when the VLC goes through - charge say €100 for it even.

Every dealer would be rushing to buy the rough road battered border county cars and re-reg them with a D plate.

Every dealer would be rushing to buy the rough road battered border county cars and re-reg them with a D plate.

As mentioned above in this thread they can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes the notion of a fleet of "false flag" CNs and DLs would lead to panic in the second hand trade.
    However just adding a space for previous reg. to the log cert. could sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Ballcocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

That seems to have been changed. Paid vrt in Dublin, got my local area's plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

McGaggs wrote: »

That seems to have been changed. Paid vrt in Dublin, got my local area's plates.

Now you need proof of address, id and pps to vrt a vehicle.

So you can go to any vrt office but it will be registered with the county on your prood of address.

that's been the case for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

They most definitely are - there could be a nice cash flow from this.

Up until the province was showing on car regs in Italy, people would routinely change it when buying a second hand car, paying the related fee. Now, it was a practical issue down there due to the complete lack of civil sense - bring a car with a Naples or Rome reg to Turin or Milan or vice versa - and it used to be defaced/damaged; even if people deny it, it was mostly due to football fanatism (go feckin' figure); So everyone changed regs.

Now, there isn't such a problem in Ireland luckily, but the Government could easily cash in on D reg snobs...nothing wrong with it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Slightly off topic but when getting VRT'd, can you choose the number or are you allocated one?

Hypothetically say one had a 2008 car to register, 08 MH 13 hasn't been issued (leaving the obvious superstitious reason to one side!) could one choose that plate or would one get 08 MH 17xxx?

*I have nothing to import nor wish to move to an 08 for now, purely curious!

Slightly off topic but when getting VRT'd, can you choose the number or are you allocated one?

Hypothetically say one had a 2008 car to register, 08 MH 13 hasn't been issued (leaving the obvious superstitious reason to one side!) could one choose that plate or would one get 08 MH 17xxx?

*I have nothing to import nor wish to move to an 08 for now, purely curious!

it would cost you a grand if they were willing to do it, but I think you have to choose a number that hasn't been reached yet rather than one that was skipped for whatever reason. I have a notion it's only possible on new cars but I've no idea why I think that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I imported a car last year that got a 3 digit number: 132 ww xxx. I always wondered if they filled in a gap or if there was less than 1000 car registered in Wicklow in HE 2013.

Nice not to have the artificially high 'import' number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

All above is not true.

After what Squatman is proposing so exporting and claiming VRT export refund and then importing the car and paying VRT again, it gets assigned new registration numer.

That seems to be the only possible way to obtain new registration numer for a car in Ireland. (effectively just changing reg number).

Please see below for relevant text from Revenue Document:

Source: https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-03.pdf

Ignore the above : you're wrong. And my neighbours S8 has the plates to prove it.

Next ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement