Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing the registered county on my car

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

The whole year and country thing is ridiculous to be honest. In Germany, your registration number is personal to you and will change depending on where you live.

The first characters represent where the owner lives and the remaining characters are random.

For example, DR-ABC123 would be a car registered in Dresden, when the owner moves, it will be HA-XXXXXX if they move to Hannover. I'm open to correction on this though.

Some countries have just random strings of characters, if we did that here, we'd have more than enough combinations possible.

LLL-LLL where L is a letter, 26*26*26*26*26*26 = 308,915,776 possible combinations. No more year and county snobbery.

I think two plates per year is not enough and we need the town here too. In case of Leixlip, Co. Kildare we should have:

20-01-KE-LX-nnn
    20-02-KE-LX-nnn
    20-12-KE-LX-nnn

...for Jan-Dec 2020. That should be enough granularity and ensure properly long numberplates. For Dublin we could just have the Dublin codes:

20-01-D-4-nnn. But there should be a way to distinquish between the blebs in Ringsend and somewhere proper. So maybe:

20-01-D-4-BB-nnn for Ballsbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

samih wrote: »
    I think two plates per year is not enough and we need the town here too. In case of Leixlip, Co. Kildare we should have:

20-01-KE-LX-nnn
    20-02-KE-LX-nnn
    20-12-KE-LX-nnn

...for Jan-Dec 2020. That should be enough granularity and ensure properly long numberplates. For Dublin we could just have the Dublin codes:

20-01-D-4-nnn. But there should be a way to distinquish between the blebs in Ringsend and somewhere proper. So maybe:

20-01-D-4-BB-nnn for Ballsbridge.

Far too many characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

I like the current system, it adds some character to the cars, especially if it's not a D reg plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Far too many characters.

Ringsend or Ballsbridge ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Slightly off topic but when getting VRT'd, can you choose the number or are you allocated one?...
    I asked that at the VRT office when I last imported one. Their reply was that they won't tell you what numbers are available - you must ask about each one individually. I'm not sure how long their patience would last though if you had a long list of desired numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

I asked that at the VRT office when I last imported one. Their reply was that they won't tell you what numbers are available - you must ask about each one individually. I'm not sure how long their patience would last though if you had a long list of desired numbers.

You can check next number coming up roughly in your county. A bit of playing around on the Cartell site with numbers should give you an idea of sequences.

For example: The last 1985 Car registered in Meath was 85 MH 15018

https://www.cartell.ie/ssl/servlet/beginStarLookup?basketId=xyxRschGmE5VKSckyzFLyufYpIqqUPJF&registration=85mh15018

Which tells me the next available number is 85 MH 15019 as there are no details on this when entered into the Cartell site.

Shouldnt take long to narrow down your year when looking.....power of deduction. Although I wouldnt heavily rely on it as there may be 24hrs between the Govt registration and Cartell site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Portugal have the month AND the year. Simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

miller_63 wrote: »
    You can check next number coming up roughly in your county. A bit of playing around on the Cartell site with numbers should give you an idea of sequences.

For example: The last 1985 Car registered in Meath was 85 MH 15018

https://www.cartell.ie/ssl/servlet/beginStarLookup?basketId=xyxRschGmE5VKSckyzFLyufYpIqqUPJF&registration=85mh15018

Which tells me the next available number is 85 MH 15019 as there are no details on this when entered into the Cartell site.

Shouldnt take long to narrow down your year when looking.....power of deduction. Although I wouldnt heavily rely on it as there may be 24hrs between the Govt registration and Cartell site.
    Not so easy when it's a Dublin reg and a relatively new car.

Unless things have changed, they don't allocate all numbers in sequence. I'm not sure if it was possible to look up numbers online at the time I asked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Not so easy when it's a Dublin reg and a relatively new car.

Unless things have changed, they don't allocate all numbers in sequence. I'm not sure if it was possible to look up numbers online at the time I asked.

'roughly'

'I wouldnt rely heavily on it'

Wheres the head in hands emoji when you need it :p

Cordell wrote: »
    I like the current system, it adds some character to the cars, especially if it's not a D reg plate.

Yea, and the Kildare and Wexford regs add double the character compared to Cork or Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

mikeecho wrote: »

I do realise that 113 , 911 are popular numbers.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

galwaytt wrote: »
    Ignore the above : you're wrong. And my neighbours S8 has the plates to prove it.

Next ?

I don't get ya here.
    What to ignore? Who is wrong?
    And what about your neighbour plates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

highdef wrote: »
    Why?

Porsche 911, If you can afford the hundred and sixty odd grand for one, you will probably stretch the extra grand for a 911 reg.

I've no idea what 113 is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Fait Marifoirai 113 ? No? I'll get my coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Crock Rock wrote: »
    The whole year and country thing is ridiculous to be honest. In Germany, your registration number is personal to you and will change depending on where you live.

The first characters represent where the owner lives and the remaining characters are random.

For example, DR-ABC123 would be a car registered in Dresden, when the owner moves, it will be HA-XXXXXX if they move to Hannover. I'm open to correction on this though.

Would that not be a bit of an administrative nightmare. Say for example for fines parking and traffic violations. I understand that the system should recognise that DR-ABC123 which somebody was caught speeding in is now HA-XXXXXX but it is adding another layer to the whole process.

Also, if moving house and selling car in around the same time it could be a bit of hassle. Whatever about motor check websites not being up to date I would expect that you will have scenarios where recently newly issued registration numbers are not recognised at all.

Then I could only imagine it would attract significant administrative costs that the motorist would be fitting the bill for. Most would probably agree the cost of motoring is expensive enough already without adding something else to it. Vagabonds would hardly thank you for it anyway.

Moreover I think and as another poster mentioned this thread really epitomises first world problems. If it was possible to give a thread a thumbs down I'd be giving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

It's whatever address you put on the application...not where you paid for it.

Ok why do I have DL plates then?

My address was and still is Wicklow, but car was inspected in Letterkenny.

Strange no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Gazzmonkey wrote: »

Strange no?

Strange indeed, I'm VRT'ing 30 cars a week and they all have their respective counties correct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Gazzmonkey wrote: »

Strange no?

I paid my VRT in Galway, and had my Waterford address down on the form and I have a W reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

bazz26 wrote: »
    It gets reissued it's old ROI registration plate.

I’m aware of at least 2 buses that were exported to the UK and reimported with different registrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not sure if it's has been posted already, buy I read that if a vehicle is exported under the VRT refund scheme and then re-imported later, it gets a new registration number.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I've had two different Irish reg numbers on my car. It was exported, vrt refunded and then reimported.

Advertisement