Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 40% increase in rent in RPZ between tenancies, is this legal?

Options
  • 11-03-2019 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

In a nutshell, an apartment was being rented by an acquaintance of mine and they had an opportunity to relocate and took it. After giving notice to the landlord that they would be leaving, they put us forward as a candidate to move in ASAP after they had left and gave us contact details for the landlord.

This person had been renting this place for ~3 years AFAIK and had been paying €850p/m (I think there was a customary 4% increase or so at some point during their tenancy, not 100% on this detail).

So, I got in touch with the landlord and he informed me that the place would be €1200p/m. This place is most definitely within a RPZ.

Is this all above board?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In short, based on what you’ve told us, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

Is there any course of action you would suggest in a situation like this?

Do landlords generally just get away with this type of behavior or is it worth following it up in any way?

It's absolutely sickening to see this going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RTB line has been that the new tenant has to complain once in and paying the new amount. Which is effectively no enforcement at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

Why am I not surprised to hear that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

justjustin wrote: »
    Is there any course of action you would suggest in a situation like this?

move in, keep paying, when moving out ask for refund (through RTB, and adding damages ;))

you can also ask for refund once you get Part 4, but then they might try to kick you out...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Input the details to the rpz calculator. That will tell you the increase allowed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Move in, pay the rent and deposit asked. Wait 6 months and then complain to the RTB. Get the excess rent refunded and the rent reduced. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ning sudnaen

This is normal Ireland has good laws to prevent corruption, but said laws are badly enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

justjustin wrote: »
    In a nutshell, an apartment was being rented by an acquaintance of mine and they had an opportunity to relocate and took it. After giving notice to the landlord that they would be leaving, they put us forward as a candidate to move in ASAP after they had left and gave us contact details for the landlord.

This person had been renting this place for ~3 years AFAIK and had been paying €850p/m (I think there was a customary 4% increase or so at some point during their tenancy, not 100% on this detail).

So, I got in touch with the landlord and he informed me that the place would be €1200p/m. This place is most definitely within a RPZ.

Is this all above board?

You might need a little more detail before joining the morally outraged party. Was the property renovated ?

Advertisement