Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple March Event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Streaming service.. ugh!! Going by Apple’s previous actions, this will be a load of hoopla and the service will only be available in the USA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Streaming service.. ugh!! Going by Apple’s previous actions, this will be a load of hoopla and the service will only be available in the USA.

It's different with services like Apple News, Siri, etc which were basically half-baked betas with region specific versions that had to be developed. Apple Music launched in over a 100 countries simultaneously. I imagine their streaming video service will be much the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It's different with services like Apple News, Siri, etc which were basically half-baked betas with region specific versions that had to be developed. Apple Music launched in over a 100 countries simultaneously. I imagine their streaming video service will be much the same.

Indeed, but there is also talk of bundling a number of Apple services together, some of which are not widely available already which may complicate matters and hinder a widespread rollout.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Music services are much easier to manage and sell than video services.

Spotify isn't geolocked, netflix is....dose.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The question I'm asking is... does anyone need another streaming service?

I guess they're trying to follow the money now that other sources are drying up.

What are they going to offer to lure people away from Netflix or Prime?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dades wrote: »
    The question I'm asking is... does anyone need another streaming service?

I guess they're trying to follow the money now that other sources are drying up.

What are they going to offer to lure people away from Netflix or Prime?

Exclusives. They have a lot of money to throw at filmmakers. In which case they don't necessarily have to lure people away from Netflix. Just convince them that their tv shows are worth a monthly subscription too.

How much content can someone consume?!

I'm reminded of what's going on with Sports Subscription channels. Originally Sky held all the cards... football, tennis, golf, rugby ... but slowly the content is being divvied out among BT, Eir, Virgin Media etc.

A lot of people have given up their multiple sports subs and just go to the pub.

How much content can someone consume?!

I'm reminded of what's going on with Sports Subscription channels. Originally Sky held all the cards... football, tennis, golf, rugby ... but slowly the content is being divvied out among BT, Eir, Virgin Media etc.

A lot of people have given up their multiple sports subs and just go to the pub.

Pub = Kodi/IPTV

You'd wanna be a millionaire to be able to afford the top sky package if you're anyway in to sports.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Aren't there new apple screens coming out also?

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's getting very annoying indeed if you like the original content shows for each platform. Don't even get me started on the shows that are still on cable tv like Game of Thrones!
    Now TV frequently have good offers for stuff on Sky. I see you can watch GOT on one of their entertainment packages for 15 quid a month. I use them for Sky Sports for 19 a month, and with no contract can just walk away in May when the footy season finishes.

Winter is Coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Another streaming service. Netflix slowed down torrenting. It on the rise again because of the amount of streaming services now.

Apple stream needs to be on every device. I can get Spotify, Netflix and Amazon prime on all my devices. Even sky now supports most of the main devices. It’s only 720p though.
    Hopefully they don’t limit it IOS devices.

Another streaming service. Netflix slowed down torrenting. It on the rise again because of the amount of streaming services now.

Apple stream needs to be on every device. I can get Spotify, Netflix and Amazon prime on all my devices. Even sky now supports most of the main devices. It’s only 720p though.
    Hopefully they don’t limit it IOS devices.

What Apple service do you know, that's accessible on non iOS/OSX devices?

iMessage, Facetime......

Of course it's going to be iOS/OSX exclusive, they need something to help boost the sales of their own devices, not boost the sales of others.

Apple Music isn't limited to Macs and iOS devices. In fact, it just launched on Amazon's FireTV and was always available on Android and Windows. iTunes was never limited to Apple products either. So I'm sure their video service won't be.

Apple differentiates between what it sees as proper paid services (Apple Music, iTunes etc) and services that are just features for their devices (iCloud, iMessage, etc). They won't turn down subscriptions from non-Apple users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

They also announced iTunes movie content and airplay is coming to new Samsung/LG/Sony etc TVs. One can only assume a streaming app will come too when it’s actually announced.

The only thing that’s certain with this event is it’s gonna cause a lot of whiners online (more than usual)

Yeah, I very much doubt Apple are going to limit their streaming service to try and boost flagging iPad/iPhone sales.

They see this as a replacement money spinner in a time where we'll be waiting a long while waiting for real innovation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Yeah, I very much doubt Apple are going to limit their streaming service to try and boost flagging iPad/iPhone sales.

They see this as a replacement money spinner in a time where we'll be a long while waiting for real innovation.

Recurring revenue from services are the future and Apple knows this. They've been signalling this quite clearly. Roaring it with the tv announcements. The question is will they bother and persist with the likes of the physical Apple TV. They never realised it's potential as a gaming device, so what else does it really offer that people will pay for. Looking at photos?

eeloe wrote: »
    What Apple service do you know, that's accessible on non iOS/OSX devices?

iMessage, Facetime......

Of course it's going to be iOS/OSX exclusive, they need something to help boost the sales of their own devices, not boost the sales of others.

It appears to have really been under the radar but it was announced in Jan that Apple and Samsung have teamed up and some apple tv capabilities will be available on Samsung tvs going forward (I think even as a software update on some current tvs). airplay2 and access to itunes store for movies etc will be possible natively on the tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

I see the Apple store app is down. New toys so they can focus on software for the event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

bop1977 wrote: »
    I see the Apple store app is down. New toys so they can focus on software for the event?

Yeah that’s been the rumour that today they’ll release some minor hardware updates. New iPods, iPads and maybe even the AirPods and AirPower updates from 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

Apple store back up. New iPad Air and iPad mini.

• Advertisement

There’s really not much value in either of those two new iPads. The 9.7” is a saving of over €200 and you aren’t loosing out on a whole lot. The mini is basically a processor bump and also more expensive than the 9.7”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Jaysus their line-up just gets more confusing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Shn99 wrote: »
    Jaysus their line-up just gets more confusing...
    Yeah, I think they need to channel their inner Steve Jobs, and start looking to simplify the lineups somewhat. That was one of the first things he did when he returned, and for good reason. It is starting to get confusing for the average consumer to know what the differences are between products in a number of the current product lines...

Cook can't bring himself to kill a high-margin product that is still selling, nor apparently give it a proper, reasonably priced update, even if nobody at Apple can remember what the point of the product is anymore.

The iPod Touch "7th Generation". Maybe Cook's feelings might be hurt like when Steve killed the Apple Newton. Steve rode it out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Shame keeping lightning port and old pencil. A mess of a lineup imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I only got the Apple Pencil last year with the new iPad in May, so I for one am glad it’s compatible with the new mini. This new version will provide a much-needed spec boost for current minis without affecting the RRP. I’m in the market for a new mini, as the mini size is very appealing to me as an ultra-compact iPad option, that isn’t an overly-expensive oversized iPhone.

Glad to see an update to the iPad mini, I have one of the original ones and it’s really slowed down now (and can’t get updates) but I think it’s the perfect size for a portable tablet too so one of the new ones will definitely be considered.

• Advertisement

So what news on a new iPod touch?

I'll be picking one up for my sons birthday next month and am waiting to see what they might have.

Will probably just go with the 6th gen unless there's a compelling reason and price for any new one.
    Given Apple's habit of creeping prices in recent years I'm not hopeful.

Advertisement