Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple March Event

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

iPad lineup is bizarre. iPad + iPad Air makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

It’s the same as iPad/MacBook, iPad/MacBook air and iPad/MacBook Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It makes sense. Cobble together parts from 3 year old iPads, whack the latest processor in there and sell for $$$. It’s the Tim Apple way.

Funny thing is... they’re still way ahead of any competition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think the iPad line-up is improvement on what it was. At least there's something resembling a higher-tier (Pro), mid-tier (Air), lower-tier (iPad) strategy now. The Mini is the odd one out, but I guess it's basically just a smaller Air. It's still not clear to a potential customer which model they should go for, especially when you start considering screen sizes.

Bizarrely the new iPad Air/Mini is not compatible with the Pencil 2, only the Pencil 1, which is very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I think the iPad line-up is improvement on what it was. At least there's something resembling a higher-tier (Pro), mid-tier (Air), lower-tier (iPad) strategy now. The Mini is the odd one out, but I guess it's basically just a smaller Air. It's still not clear to a potential customer which model they should go for, especially when you start considering screen sizes.

Bizarrely the new iPad Air/Mini is not compatible with the Pencil 2, only the Pencil 1, which is very confusing.

The mini has a market in Aviation. iPad is the only tablet that's certified to be used inside cockpits in the US, and the size is perfect in such a limited space.

I was being a little facetious with my last post. The choice is better now but I would have liked it to be in a slightly new chasis, that design is a little long in the tooth now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just had a quick look, there's nothing in the new Air that would make me splash out and 'upgrade' from my current iPad. All I wanted was a non Pro with Apple Pencil support for college. I don't do enough on it to warrant a faster processor etc. Even any screen or true-tone display update won't make a bit of difference because I keep a matte finish screen protector on because it helps with the feel of writing notes etc with the Pencil. Not ideal for media consumption but that's ok.

I can see the new mini as an option for small business - a lot of places now have done away with traditional card readers etc and use an ipad POS terminal. Most of those are sized for the mini, anything else is overkill. Plus with Pencil support it adds digital signature capabilities which is very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Cant see any pricing on the Apple Ireland site. Any ideas yet what the Air and Mini will retail at here?

Up now I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

The iMac got a speed bump today.

https://www.apple.com/ie/imac/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,704 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Are they going to release something new everyday till the 25th now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Are they going to release something new everyday till the 25th now.

No, according to rumors earlier this month the IPad update was due out Monday, IMac bump today and apparently iPod update tomorrow. First 2 are correct so far

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Airpods have been updated, and it was a silent release.

Which is a bit of a shock, they won't have a hell of a lot to release next Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,704 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder will the Airpower Pad get a release in the next few days then since the new Pods case is wireless charging one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I wonder will the Airpower Pad get a release in the next few days then since the new Pods case is wireless charging one.

I was thinking the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Ordered the AirPods with the wireless case. I'd been wondering if I'd ever get to spend those bloody gift cards...

I'm having the typical apple "i want it now" with the new airpods.

But to be honest, the only thing that's new for me, is the wireless hey siri...and to be honest, i NEVER use Siri.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

This was always the expected update in fairness. The wireless was announced over 18 months ago (I think) and the hey Siri was the only other big addition to the updated pair.

There was another rumoured pair, supposedly much bigger update with better sound and updated design. That’s still rumoured as a possible late 2019 release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

https://www.recode.net/2019/3/21/18275747/apple-tv-launch-plans-event-hbo-showtime-starz-netflix-news-magazine-goldman-amazon
    Instead, Apple’s main focus — at least for now — will be helping other people sell streaming video subscriptions and taking a cut of the transaction. Apple may also sell its own shows, at least as part of a bundle of other services. But for now, Apple’s original shows and movies should be considered very expensive giveaways, not the core product.

So if the above is true, this sounds like it'll be US only for now. Unless they've come to an agreement with a number of networks outside of the US which I doubt at this stage.

But then:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/20/18254720/apple-streaming-video-service-greenlit-development-list-tv-film

So the announcement is in a little over 2.5 hours.

What are we expecting/hoping for?

I'm guessing it's gonna be AirPower, iPhone SE 2, US only Streaming service......

either way, i'm excited.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is that not basically what they do currently with Apple TV?

Kind of. I don't think they take a percentage for it? This way they'll have say exclusive HBO access, charge end users and take split the subscription with HBO. I'm guessing.

eeloe wrote: »

I'm guessing it's gonna be AirPower, iPhone SE 2, US only Streaming service......

either way, i'm excited.

Interested in the SE2. Nothing else though. I've been mostly underwhelmed by Apple's keynotes of late.

eeloe wrote: »

either way, i'm excited.
    Very unlikely there'll be any hardware announced today. Most likely TV/Video subscription service, newspaper sub service, gaming sub service and a new 'Apple' credit card. More than likely it's going to be a patchwork of support for different counties. I can imagine we'll get the news and gaming stuff and probably none of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

No chance of hardware at this stage EXCEPT, perhaps for the AirPower mat which will likely cost €199 and be a completely niche product of little or no interest to the general Apple user. I have an iphone, Apple Watch and airpods and still would not be interested in an all-in-one solution for €200.

I still reckon most of the media/subscription announcements will be US-centric. In any event I couldn't care less about yet another Netflix/Amazon Prime/Now TV subscription service. I might be tempted by a news/magazine offering if the titles available were any way compelling.

The only thing remains will they consign iPod Touch to the shelf with the Apple Newton?

DubDJ wrote: »
    gaming sub service

Read that it's a subscription based on the amount of playing time. I don't play games on my iPhone, but even if I did I don't think I'd sign up for another subscription.

Though for some it might be better than in app purchases.

I'd prefer to just buy a game rather than use these other models.

Circuital wrote: »
    gaming sub service

Read that it's a subscription based on the amount of playing time. I don't play games on my iPhone, but even if I did I don't think I'd sign up for another subscription.

Though for some it might be better than in app purchases.

I'd prefer to just buy a game rather than use these other models.
    Think you might of mis-read that (or maybe I did) but I think the amount of time part is related to paying developers and how much they earn. Not how much end users will pay.

Think you might of mis-read that (or maybe I did) but I think the amount of time part is related to paying developers and how much they earn. Not how much end users will pay.

Ah OK. That makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

The intro was cool! Take my money ha

Advertisement