Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple March Event

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Big F'n Bird

That's me gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I usually hate when people say Steve would've never let this happen but its entirely applicable in this case

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not one of these shows sounds interesting so far. Not helped by this bizarre method of announcing them.

It's all a bit... bland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

what was the coding big bird stuff? a sesame street like show using swift playgrounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Another video subscription service is surely the last thing people want :)

• Advertisement

"It's not just another streaming service".

Except, that's exactly all it is. With shows that are watered down to Tim Cook's liking.

Oprah?

Aye it's her. Bit of a self-indulgent intro.

bring back big bird

The way these people talk about watching Television Shows is a hoot. haha

Save the world, make it a better place, watch TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

awec wrote: »
    Aye it's her. Bit of a self-indulgent intro.

Wouldn’t be like her at all...

This is so awful.

We should all package up our apple devices and post them back to apple hq now.

wow. what a steaming pile of sh*te that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    This is so awful.

We should all package up our apple devices and post them back to apple hq now.

I’m sorry but I can’t do that. I’m fully ensconced in Sciento… I mean Apple.

ALL HAIL OUR DEAR LEADER! And Oprah!

I think Apple are going the wrong direction by focusing on the big star names. The focus should be the content itself. Most of the best shows on TV are not filled with Hollywood types, or written by big movie writers.

It was all just so...awkward, and not at all revolutionary.

Even if it were available here, I've no idea why I'd subscribe to it. I'd also be concerned that Apple's content policy would lead to bland shows where gritty scenes are not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Apple share price getting hammered while Netflix is flying right now tells you all you need to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

TomasMacR wrote: »
    what was the coding big bird stuff? a sesame street like show using swift playgrounds?

Tim Cook wants everybody to code to make them better citizens for cheap labour going forward.

The Apple service might be ok, they have some good ideas in there. A Netflix killer this is not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

I think I'll stick to Morpheus App, and not get ripped off by apple

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Apple share price getting hammered while Netflix is flying right now tells you all you need to know.

Apple down 1% and Netflix up 0.8% is hardly getting hammered or dramatic.

I think Apple are going the wrong direction by focusing on the big star names. The focus should be the content itself. Most of the best shows on TV are not filled with Hollywood types, or written by big movie writers.

It was all just so...awkward, and not at all revolutionary.

Even if it were available here, I've no idea why I'd subscribe to it. I'd also be concerned that Apple's content policy would lead to bland shows where gritty scenes are not welcome.

It will be available here, probably. They said 100+ countries.

If you think about it all they need is one big breakout hit and they could well get quite a few viewers.

You are right about Apple's content filter, we already have a hallmark channel which I am forced to watch every Christmas and one is enough.

• Advertisement

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    I think I'll stick to Morpheus App, and not get ripped off by apple

And netflix too, am I right?

It will be available here, probably. They said 100+ countries.

If you think about it all they need is one big breakout hit and they could well get quite a few viewers.

You are right about Apple's content filter, we already have a hallmark channel which I am forced to watch every Christmas and one is enough.

They said the app will come to 100 counties. They did not mention what content within the app.

Ireland will probably get the updated app with the same content as today, plus the Apple TV+ shows for extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It'll be 'available' here alright but it'll be like Prime Video and only content they produce themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,704 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They seem to be Gauging market reaction before Announcing pricing.

They said the app will come to 100 counties. They did not mention what content within the app.

Ireland will probably get the updated app with the same content as today, plus the Apple TV+ shows for extra cost.

People said the same when Apple Music was announced and that it wouldn't be available, content etc and it was all available on launch day.

murpho999 wrote: »
    People said the same when Apple Music was announced and that it wouldn't be available, content etc and it was all available on launch day.
    Music is very different.

It won’t all be available. There is no way. The HBO stuff won't be there since Sky own the rights to that here. The Sports stuff won't be there (well, not for any sports that anyone from here cares about).

It'll be the same content as today, with the new apple-produced tv+ content on top.

Music is very different.

It won’t all be available. There is no way. The HBO stuff won't be there since Sky own the rights to that here. The Sports stuff won't be there (well, not for any sports that anyone from here cares about).

It'll be the same content as today, with the new apple-produced tv+ content on top.

Who knows. Maybe Sky will agree to go on the platform.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Who knows. Maybe Sky will agree to go on the platform.
    No chance at all.

I don't know why you're in denial here. Apple still haven't figured out how to bring TV shows to iTunes in Ireland. They still haven't figured out how to bring Apple News here. It will be more of the same with this offering, except now that they're producing some TV shows of their own so they can give us those easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

Sky’s deal with HBO ends next year. They’ll either sign a new one with them or HBO might fancy going it alone. That deal was signed for a sizeable chunk of Europe. It was a sky deal for their customers in the Uk, Ireland, Germany, Austria and Italy. Money talks. It will be interesting.

In saying that, Cable companies have a very linier way of looking at this so who knows.

• Advertisement

No chance at all.

I don't know why you're in denial here. Apple still haven't figured out how to bring TV shows to iTunes in Ireland. They still haven't figured out how to bring Apple News here. It will be more of the same with this offering, except now that they're producing some TV shows of their own so they can give us those easily.

Maybe. I could see Apple TV work with Now TV though. That kind of concept.

Advertisement