Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple March Event

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Luke-m wrote: »
    Sky’s deal with HBO ends next year. They’ll either sign a new one with them or HBO might fancy going it alone. That deal was signed for a sizeable chunk of Europe. It was a sky deal for their customers in the Uk, Ireland, Germany, Austria and Italy. Money talks. It will be interesting.

In saying that, Cable companies have a very linier way of looking at this so who knows.

There is already a way to get HBO content on Apple TV. Buy it. So that’s already there, it is however about a week after it’s shown on Sky. If Apple could reduce that time it could be a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Apple way behind the curve again. Surely their star is finally starting to dim?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

i'd be slow to dismiss the Apple TV+ just yet - while it is very easy for us the consumers to say that Netflix have it all wrapped up and Apple are late to the party - they are investing billions in to something and you can be sure that they have a plan and something that will have appeased the major shareholders etc.

I do believe they need some sort of game changer to make it work - but disruptive technology like that isn't something that is predictable.

I could be totally wrong - but i wouldn't dismiss it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I was surprised by the production quality off the shows they teased on stage. It could be because I had very low expectations before the event based on the Carpool Karaoke type stuff but they seem to be well made shows with some potential. I'll definitely be checking out the subscription when it drops, very little competition to Netflix in Ireland at the moment so hoping Apple do pull off some decent shows.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

DubDJ wrote: »
    I was surprised by the production quality off the shows they teased on stage. It could be because I had very low expectations before the event based on the Carpool Karaoke type stuff but they seem to be well made shows with some potential. I'll definitely be checking out the subscription when it drops, very little competition to Netflix in Ireland at the moment so hoping Apple do pull off some decent shows.

I'd love to know how given they barely showed any footage at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The TV app is in the beta on my apple 4k TV and ipad today

awec wrote: »
    I'd love to know how given they barely showed any footage at all.
    They showed about a minute and a half of clips from the shows. What I meant is the video and overall production quality looks like it’s up there with Netflix Originals. Can’t say whether the shows will be any good but they aren’t the on the same level as what they’ve released so far.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Netflix are spending $15billion on original content in 2019. Apple are spending somewhere in the region of $1-2billion - they are leagues apart, Netflix are the clear leaders and Apple will take a while to catch up.

I'm sure Apple will have some good shows, but it's going to take a lot more than a handful of stars to get people to subscribe on a recurring basis.

Again, my point was that Apple’s teaser for their originals is a long way away from the shows they’ve previously released such as ‘planet of the apps’.

Of course Netflix is far ahead of Apple, they’ve a head start of a few years. Netflix will also produce a lot more shows than Apple for that 15 billion, it’s not exactly like for like.

I love a lot of the Netflix originals and I don’t know if Apple will be able to compete, but it’s good to have a little completion in place to keep things competitive for consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

People are saying the AirPods don’t block out noise so not worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Gael23 wrote: »

It’s a feature. Not all earphones block out noise and will allow sound leakage.

Other earphones create a tighter seal in the ear (usually through foam/rubber tips). It’s also a feature.

You need to weigh up the pro/cons of each yourself to know what’s right for you.

Currently I’m wearing:
    AirPods for calls, podcasts and general walk abouts
    Bose QC35’s for airplanes or where noise is constant
    Some pair of AKG’s for office where there’s chatting where active noise cancelling isn’t as effective and to reduce that “pressure” feeling that active noise cancelling can have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

Gael23 wrote: »

Get noise cancelling ones if that's what you're after, but no they don't.

These look nice, but will cost a fortune I'd say.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/3/18292853/beats-powerbeats-pro-true-wireless-earbuds-announced-airpods

I only have Airpods as I got them as a present. I mean, they're fine. They're the regular bundled earphones without the wire. I actually prefer using the wired ones in work as I can adjust the volume on the remote.

The charging case is good and keeps a charge for about a week (using earpods for 2hrs a day).

Didn't take long for the battery to degrade though.

Advertisement