Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track pump issues

Options
  • 12-03-2019 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Having a few issues with a track pump that I bought recently and wondering if anyone else encountered similar problems. This is the pump I bought:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-joe-blow-max-ii-track-pump/

Now, no matter what I do, I can't get this pump to fill above 80 psi (or what it says is 80 psi). Using it on a presta valve, it will fill to 80 psi with no issue. But no matter how much force I put into it at this point, I can't get the pump to push any more air into the tube once it reaches 80 psi. Tyres are 25mm and I have previously filled them with a different pump to 100 psi without issue.

I don't have a second pump in the house at the minute, so I can't check that the gauge on the JoeBlow is correct, but assuming that it is, has anyone encountered any issues in filling with this particular pump?

Would appreciate any thoughts - am a bit stumped on this one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Having a few issues with a track pump that I bought recently and wondering if anyone else encountered similar problems. This is the pump I bought:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-joe-blow-max-ii-track-pump/

Now, no matter what I do, I can't get this pump to fill above 80 psi (or what it says is 80 psi). Using it on a presta valve, it will fill to 80 psi with no issue. But no matter how much force I put into it at this point, I can't get the pump to push any more air into the tube once it reaches 80 psi. Tyres are 25mm and I have previously filled them with a different pump to 100 psi without issue.

I don't have a second pump in the house at the minute, so I can't check that the gauge on the JoeBlow is correct, but assuming that it is, has anyone encountered any issues in filling with this particular pump?

Would appreciate any thoughts - am a bit stumped on this one!
    Yes have had same issues with this pump, I found if the pump head isn't right down on the valve or not parallel with valve, it won't pump properly. I eventually ran out of patience and bought a new pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Thanks, good to know I'm not the only one. Bought this to replace a BBB track pump which I had for 8 years, and thought I was getting an upgrade. I'll be getting on to Topeak about this one - they claim it can go to 120 psi.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have the sister model: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-joe-blow-sport-iii-track-pump/

One of the best pumps going imo. Do your valves protrude a reasonable distance from the rim?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Also have a Topeak JoeBlow track pump for about the last 8 years, this version:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-joe-blow-sprint-track-pump-1/
    Great pump, only criticism is that the base plate is steel rather than aluminum so prone to a bit of rust given the abuse I've thrown at it.

Well i've checked with an alternative track pump and gauge reads 80psi on both. However, with the other pump I can fill to 100 psi without issue. Gonna try the JoeBlow one again later; reading online there seems to be some sort of 'check valve' which can cause issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've also had the same issue - couldn't even get to 80psi. There was obviously some sort of issue with a valve allowing air out at the end of the cone shaped part. Might have been caused by trying to pump without being on the right setting for presta valve - but in the end I brought it back and wouldn't buy another topeak

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like you're pushing the lever towards the valve not away.

ED E wrote: »
    Sounds like you're pushing the lever towards the valve not away.

Lever is being pushed away from valve, not towards. Locks into place fine, no issues with the length of the presta valve. It will pump with no issue up to 80 psi. At that point it becomes impossible to put any more air into it, air is not leaking out of anywhere, it is as if that is the maximum pressure that it will get to. No matter how much effort I put in at 80 psi, I cannot depress the plunger on the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Sounds like a faulty check-valve - track pumps have a check valve so when the tube's valve is open (pump head locked on, and at least one stroke has been taken), the check valve prevents all of the pressure in the tube from rushing back into the pump's barrel - if the plunger suddenly springs up and wont go down easily, then the check valve is not working.

Advertisement