Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom Annihilation - new film

Options
  • 12-03-2019 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not getting a theatrical release.
    Watched without sound. Gonna be strange seeing the main character being a Scottish woman. I like Amy but don't think she fits the role. Will see, I guess.

Do we have a general video game movie thread? Not that it would get much use outside this and Detective Pikachu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Why though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hard to gauge from the 30-second clip. No theatrical release + video game based movie spells a recipe for disaster though! Thought the FPS segment of the previous DOOM movie was pretty good. The rest wasn't. And now that I've watched Hardcore Henry, I'm not sure that gimmick throughout the movie would have saved it.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I liked the Doom movie. I appreciate I'm in the minority and it may have been simply for the first person view at the end but I remember thinking how awesome that was. Also liked the first couple of Resident Evil movies so there may just be something wrong with me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I liked the Doom movie. I appreciate I'm in the minority and it may have been simply for the first person view at the end but I remember thinking how awesome that was. Also liked the first couple of Resident Evil movies so there may just be something wrong with me.
    There is something wrong with you. Go visit your GP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That looks like horrendous sh*t, floating between the standard of a fan film & something The Asylum would produce. I'm not surprised it's not getting a cinematic release :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Randomly adds a female lead just because...! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This reeks of the same reason Roger Corman's Fantastic four film was made and never released. Universal just making any old tat and pushing it out there as if they don't they will lose the rights to make films on the IP. Better to hang on to it in case down the line it becomes valuable.

And the original Doom was a travesty of a film. The set design was so flimsy it looked like it was from a day time Australian soap opera. The script was so bad and immature that if you told me it was written by three 9 year old kids standing on each others shoulders under a trenchcoat trying to base themselves off as an adult, I'd well believe it. Makes more sense than the actual script we got.

As for the first person sequence was ballocks. It was boring and managed to capture nothing of what the games felt like. It was thrown in there as a homage like the awful carmack homage.

What I'm trying to get at is it's not very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If that's the best trailer they could put out, I would be pretty sure the movie itself is abysmal.

Pretty much a Starship Troopers situation. First movie, €100m budget, second one...€5m. Doom cost something like €50m to make in 2005, I'd be surprised if the budget for this one was more than 5 to 10% of that figure.

I would also say there's a good chance it'll still be better than the 2005 film though, being serious.

how can you make a film about a game with 0 story.

• Advertisement

from the dire trailer looks like they are trying for an "Alien 2 : Aliens" vibe!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The Diversity is strong with this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As I read on another thread, just do Hardcore Henry on Mars. God we need another Hardcore Henry, I loved that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not getting a theatrical release.

No surprise there. It looks like it was made by a 3rd class... for their schools project.

It looks SHOCKING.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Randomly adds a female lead just because...! :pac:

Because we're all woke now. Get with 2019!

• gimli2112 wrote: »

I actually enjoyed the 3 resi CGI movies

The live action ones are dreadful beyond the first two being watchable at best

• ZiabR wrote: »
    No surprise there. It looks like it was made by a 3rd class... for their schools project.

It looks SHOCKING.

And looks like it was made on a camera phone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I see this is available now from various sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I see this is available now from various sources.

Yeah saw that myself. Maybe worth a watch.. as ahem. You know yourself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Not the worst movie I have ever watched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I enjoyed it , it was fairly shoddy cgi wise but was watchable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The Female lead tries to acts like one of the gruff 80s action heroes and just scowls the whole film, the biggest issue with the movie is that it is a bad film, I like the first 20 minutes but it is just boring after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched this. It's like someone decided to remake Aliens on a low budget, but replace the xenomorphs with fast zombies. They're just missing a wee girl saying how they mostly come at night.
    Even the pilot's death was similar to Aliens, with the demon appearing behind him.

They clearly saved what money they had for the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It is absolutely terrible....

Couldn't believe it could get any worserer;-)

Obviously very low budget and they weren't the may west at acting....

Advertisement