Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheltenham Day 4 - Friday 14 March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Perhaps they should automatically withdraw a horse if he has a problem before the start?
    The farrier did an excellent job, his work was filmed.
    Of course the incident might have nothing to do with what happened before the race.
    Horatio Nelson ran in the 2006 English Derby after doubts about him before the start (can't remember if it was a shoe problem or a hint of lameness), and he pulled up in the race and was put down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I had a bad feeling once the shoe came off and the ITV muppets were saying some lad put 10k on him right before that happened. But never thought that would happen.

I'm sure people will say it had no effect but I don't believe that. Had a bruise in the week leading up and then the shoe comes off. They should have pulled him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Without wanting to cause any tension, as a once a year punter, I find it very hard to justify racing at the cost of something like that.

Stop punting once a year for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Can someone explain why a broken leg results in a horse needing to be put down?

Couple of reasons.

1) Very hard to set a leg and not have the horse want to stand on it
    2) Healing takes very long time due to the above
    3) Horse may loose confidence when approaching jumps
    3) Leg will not be as strong as before and as such the horse will loose pace as muscle and tendons can get torn during the break

It is just not feasible to try and repair a break so in 95% of cases the animal is put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Without wanting to cause any tension, as a once a year punter, I find it very hard to justify racing at the cost of something like that.

It is what it is. Everyone knows the risks involved with the sport. No point having that conversation now it's been had hundreds of times before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Slattsy wrote: »

:rolleyes: Surely I can do what I like with my money?

A horses legs are so complex I guess.
    The problem is a horse will try to get up and use his broken leg.
    The only solution that ever worked was to suspend the horse in a sling for weeks/months as was done with Mill Reef, but few horses will cooperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Slattsy wrote:

Wise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

Thoroughbreds are the only farm animal bred and reared not for slaughter. There is less than 2% risk that they die on a racecourse. There is always going to be risk involved but I believe the positives of the sport far outweigh the negatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Not sure what you mean by that? Surely it makes no difference how often someone chooses to place bets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭munster87

It’s raining a River load!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

munster87 wrote: »
    It’s raining a River load!!

Earlier in the day pre recorded part of the show.

Earlier in the day pre recorded part of the show.

What a disappointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

STFU about Byronys win ITV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Shed a tear. Buzz gone. Emotions all over the place. Heart broken.
    Desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Horrible about Sir Eric. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

Paddy Power's (and some others, especially online) allow 'place only' doubles, trebles etc by the way, and so you don't always have to waste money on the win part of an e/w bet if what you really fancy is your three (or however many) horses just to place in their races.

No way! Didn't know that. Cheers Pete.

jkbkhhho7t wrote: »
    What's more upsetting is how quiet and proud he looked while getting his shoe done, he didn't deserve what followed

I agree. It made the whole thing worse having those closeups. I don't have horses but I have a dog who I groom myself and always stands very good for it, she's getting an extra belly rub now.

Now ITV scrambling to bring the mood back up it's pathetic. I'm switching it off for now, probably put it back on for the Gold Cup but that really does dampen the spirits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Yeah don't think I'll perk up now until the GC. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Didn't appreciate the severity of it at the time, rewound it back it was horrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The jockeys should all object to having a camera and microphone stuck in their faces with a presenter talking ****e down at the start.
    ITV coverage gets more appalling by the minute.Brian Gleeson who has some common sense on RTE has allowed himself to become a complete Muppet on ITV.Awful stuff.
    So sad to see a beautiful horse gone in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Angliru wrote: »
    Yeah don't think I'll perk up now until the GC. Shocking.

If I hadn't all my bets done, I'd find it hard to look at doing it now for some reason. This one hit's hard as he was such a lovely horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tomw86

RIP - Hate seeing that.

This is the risk though with any type of sport. Dogs, horses and even humans have died doing what they love.

Not saying its ok, but it is a risk for elite sports persons/animals.

Thank goodness the second race went ok.
    A repeat of what happened in the first race would have been disastrous for racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Jack Kennedy went very early on Eclair De Beaufeu there

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dave81

Lost first two races. Down a nice bit, but dont really give a b ol lix, seeing that horse break its leg is heart breaking. For a full stallion, he was such a pet. Would have been nice to have a Cheltenham winner breeding Cheltenham winners instead of Epsom winners breeding cast offs not good enough to run on the flat

The next race came up so quick I didn't get the chance to switch it off.
    Eclair goes to the front at the last and promptly unseats.

Really wish I had switched it off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I am this side of puking in my mouth with the way racing has turned into aren't women brilliant. Harry Skelton rides a winner and it's nearly more about his fiancee, because she is a woman!!

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Jack Kennedy went very early on Eclair De Beaufeu there

has happened with several of Gordons horses this week - they don't seem to seeing out the trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

Shemale wrote: »
    I am this side of puking in my mouth with the way racing has turned into aren't women brilliant. Harry Skelton rides a winner and it's nearly more about his fiancee, because she is a woman!!

Yeah, it’s awful. ITV turning it into a pantomime. Just focus on the racing, instead of trying to make a story out of everything . Chamberlin would drive you mad.

Commander of Fleet here. Backed it a while back at 7s and didn't shorten as I anticipated!

Loved how he jumped and finished the race last time. Everything in his favour today so no excuse. Its a good race though. Serious each way bet for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ruby' s turned into Jamie Spencer. Rides all horses the same way these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Shemale wrote: »

It's actually patronising as F&*k to them. There's 2 types of jockeys. Good ones and bad ones. Not male and female. They should be pissed off at the complete obsession with their sex.

...............and don't even start me with Chapman and the poxy "social stable"

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

On Derrinross at 14s and Rockpoint at 33s
    Hoping Rockpoint can repeat what Kilbricken storm done last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Fair play noel fehily. Brilliant jockey who had to cope with terrible injuries. Silver Jaro - never forget!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Lisnagar Oscar for me here. has the right profile

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

Lisnagar Oscar for me here. has the right profile

Fingers crossed for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Win L.31.

Derrin ross
    Native River
    Magic Saint
    Dallas des Pictons

E.W. patent.
    Rhinestone
    Gino Trail
    Daybreak Boy

E.W. patent.
    Thistlecrack
    Road To Rome
    Brelan D'as

E.w. double

Derrin Ross
    Native River.

Didn't post my selections tuesday and thursday,and lost both days.
    Posted wednesday and won.

So ,fingers crossed. Gl all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

That was a lovely piece about Danoli. Loved that horse.

On Derrinross at 14s and Rockpoint at 33s
    Hoping Rockpoint can repeat what Kilbricken storm done last year

Rockpoint was super impressive at the Dec meeting but I've backed a few tizzard horses and they've stank out the place.

• Advertisement

Rhinestone to turn the tables on COF

Birchdale, Derrinross and Dinions for me!

Dionions massively underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

I have watched the last 4 days of itv coverage .
    Way to many presenters , each trying to get the better of the other .
    Any sports show starts with the head presenter .
    Chamberlain isn't up to it .
    Chapman is a joke .
    Harvey ain't much better .
    Cumani shouldn't be let near any national hunt programme .
    Any racing programme needs a very good head presenter / an ex jockey / someone in the betting ring that knows their stuff .
    Racing is been diluted by these pc bull**** pieces .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Harvey is a Grade A geebag, mentioning Walsh who is showing his horse the hurdle "who had that unfortunate incident earlier", just before he starts a race.

Cumani is now Cesc as they are all BFF, McCoy and Cumani are the only two that should be presenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭jkbkhhho7t

Absolute ****e from Ruby there, allaho comfortably beat minella indo but like everything else he rode this week taking the longest way around

Commander of Fleet here. Backed it a while back at 7s and didn't shorten as I anticipated!

Loved how he jumped and finished the race last time. Everything in his favour today so no excuse. Its a good race though. Serious each way bet for me.

****ing 50s shot beats me!

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Birchdale, Derrinross and Dinions for me!

Dionions massively underrated

Rhinestone never got going even with the slow pace

Great win again for Blackmore.
    Had heard strong word for Dinons awhile back, backed it antepost, they’ll be disappointed with that.

Bookies benefits today so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

What even is this day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Hindsight is a good thing but,

How was that allowed to go off at 50/1 ? Wtf it was way to big

I didn’t back it either

• Advertisement
Advertisement