Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubeless Pump

Options
  • 12-03-2019 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Looking to invest in a tubeless pump... any ideas on good ones out there? like anything, value and performance the decider!

grma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

This has been very good for me, perfectly adequate of seating CX and larger tyres.

https://www.wiggle.com/lifeline-airblast-tubeless-tire-track-pump/

Fat bike ones may require a better blast, but it really depends on the tyre in this territory - I had a 3" baloon set up in one go, but the fitting was very tight with the rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

looks good, I suppose theyre all that bit pricier than a regular track pump... lifeline stuff isnt bad at all... thanks alek

It's really well made! Better than my SKS ones.

The only thing is that the tubeless reservoir is always connected to the system - this means that if you use it for high PSI tyres, first few strokes will only increase the pressure in the tank until it breaks through the valve... this makes it kind of laggy.

So I keep a normal track pump for daily jobs.

On a second thought, if I have not had a voucher for this one, I'd perhaps invest in one of the tubeless tanks - they have larger volume and take less space in storage ;)

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Schwalbe/Tire-Booster-Tubeless-Inflator-p61908/

The downside of tanks is that you need to disconnect them (I guess?) to continue pumping to make the tyre pop (seal completely). With the Lifeline one, you just release the blast and can pump further immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Topeak do a track pump with integrated resevoir (Joe Blow Booster) so you can either use it as a pump or flip a switch to fill the reservoir, then release when ready. It's expensive; somewhere just north of £100. I keep meaning to get around to buying one, but tbh my £20 Aldi/Lidl trackpump has only ever had an issue seating one tubeless tyre, which was due to the specific tyre model/type, not the rim so I'm in no rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Alek wrote: »

On a second thought, if I have not had a voucher for this one, I'd perhaps invest in one of the tubeless tanks - they have larger volume and take less space in storage ;)

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Schwalbe/Tire-Booster-Tubeless-Inflator-p61908/

The downside of tanks is that you need to disconnect them (I guess?) to continue pumping to make the tyre pop (seal completely). With the Lifeline one, you just release the blast and can pump further immediately.

I recently converted the mountain bike to tubeless. Bought an AirShot tank and it got both tyres to pop before disconnecting it. Yeah, you lose some air removing it and reinstalling the valve core but by this stage the tyre is on. Track pump just needed to regain desired pressure.
    Robins shop has them for €59. LBS support. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

You could make one too if you were savvy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I didn't even know you could get tubeless pumps! Could have done with one years ago when I had a ghetto tubeless set up that needed a lot of encouragement to seat.

With proper tubeless rims and tyres, a decent track pump should do the job most of the time and if the tyre won't seat, one blast with a C02 should do it.

You could make one too if you were savvy enough

Hell Yeah

With proper tubeless rims and tyres, a decent track pump should do the job most of the time and if the tyre won't seat, one blast with a C02 should do it.

Not in my experience re: track pump.

A single CO2 is fine *most* of the time, but if not, not everyone has been cunning enough to run a large order of cartridges for the forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

@Alek I do have an old fire extinguisher in a track car that's gone past it...

• Advertisement

Or use a coke bottle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=EtmatxJG_zg

Friend made one and it works but I would not trust 100psi in a coke bottle no matter how much you reinforce it

I have a mix of tubeless rims and tyres on the mtb, but there's a bit of ghetto on them all wether tyre or valve etc... track pump and fairy liquid just doesnt work.. tried the air at a petrol station... another bad idea...

I'll have a look at the airshock that Expert have, lbs etc, if not then the lifeline will do the job...

anyone try tubeless on the road with 100+ psi?

@ Steamsey

Yess!! New shed project... I think I'll do it in a Linden Village Flagon.. Gorilla Tape should do the trick...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LagunaSeca

I recently converted the mountain bike to tubeless. Bought an AirShot tank and it got both tyres to pop before disconnecting it. Yeah, you lose some air removing it and reinstalling the valve core but by this stage the tyre is on. Track pump just needed to regain desired pressure.
    Robins shop has them for €59. LBS support. ;)

Yeah, if you already have a decent track pump an Airshot or Schwalbe's equivalent (Tire Booster) is the way to go.

25sean wrote: »
    @ Steamsey

Yess!! New shed project... I think I'll do it in a Linden Village Flagon.. Gorilla Tape should do the trick...

Gorilla Tape the bejaysus out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Think I'll have a go at making one myself. I've a load of keg dispensing equipment lying and a small cylinder for co2 that would do the trick.
    I didn't know when I started using tubeless that I'd need a new pump. First time I encountered a problem I had to go to cycleways and they did it with a small co2 cartridge pump.

Effects wrote: »
    Think I'll have a go at making one myself. I've a load of keg dispensing equipment lying and a small cylinder for co2 that would do the trick.
    I didn't know when I started using tubeless that I'd need a new pump. First time I encountered a problem I had to go to cycleways and they did it with a small co2 cartridge pump.

I don't think you need a new (tubeless) pump if you already have a decent track pump. If the pump isn't doing it, a C02 should and if it doesn't, technique could be the problem. This is assuming a proper tubeless set up, not ghetto.

C02 inflator is a fiver - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lifeline-cnc-co2-inflator-thread-on-valve-head/rp-prod165265

Cannisters are cheap enough and handy to have for rides anyway, Lidl/Aldi do deals sometimes

Note that CO2 and alkaline sealant is not a good idea, it neutralises the alkali to some degree and promotes latex clumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

I have a Bontrager Flash Charger and its really good.

Works every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

steamsey wrote: »
    I don't think you need a new (tubeless) pump if you already have a decent track pump.

I had deflated the tires to put the bike on a plane and then left them deflated too long. My track pump didn't do the trick at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Or use a coke bottle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=EtmatxJG_zg

Friend made one and it works but I would not trust 100psi in a coke bottle no matter how much you reinforce it

Use a sparkling Ballygowan bottle, much better quality!!!!

I have one on the go nearly 3 years now, has never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭covey123

I don't think you need a new (tubeless) pump if you already have a decent track pump.

Yeah I've managed it by first putting an old tube inside the new tyre and putting a ton of air in, leave it overnight and when the tube is taken out,the tyre should be formed well enough that sealing isn't too much hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

covey123 wrote: »
    Yeah I've managed it by first putting an old tube inside the new tyre and putting a ton of air in, leave it overnight and when the tube is taken out,the tyre should be formed well enough that sealing isn't too much hassle

I used to fit my tubeless tyres with just a track pump but an airshot can or equivalent does make life so much easier. Pretty much first time every time. One trick I found is to rub soapy water around the bead of the tyre before inflation, it makes it much easier to seat it in the rim.

Advertisement