Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park West Dublin 12 living

Options
  • 12-03-2019 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi folks
    Can I get some advice about living around Park West apartments. Is it a safe area generally for family living? And how is the area in general in terms of amenities etc. Prices seem to be quite decent but I wonder if there's a reason for it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwilldare

lots of anti social behaviour around that area. During summer and in warm weather canal area is a no go area, robbed cars vandalism, muggings etc. Not and area id move a family into if I could avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I am fairly familiar with the area to walk through and I don’t think I would live there with kids (maybe temporarily) if it’s the apartments near the Plaza you are looking at! Park West is just a major industrial estate with the nearest amenities being in Clondalkin Village/Palmerstown/ Ballyfermot. There is a swimming pool and gym....two shops but they shut around 7 and hotel. Park west is right beside Cherry Orchard and there has been several serious crime incidents in the area. Used to see a lot of unsavory things and that’s only walking home from work! There is a relatively new national school in Cherry Orchard but Ithink I would be veering towards Clondalkin village for schools and school run might be a nightmare with work traffic using the Nangor Rd!

+1 for the canal.....what should be a nice amenity can be dodgy even when out walking on your lunch break. Several of us used to walk there on lunch and would see lots of “stuff” going on!
    On the positive side there is good transport links. It’s the terminus for the 79a. You can get the 151 from Nangor Rd and if you fancy a walk ...20 mins will bring you up to the Lucas stop at Kylemore!
    And a quick jaunt will bring you up to Liffey Valley!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MissTiny

Totally agree with both posts above but I'll just add that the gym & pool actually shut down last summer unfortunately

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/conditions-were-terrible-people-were-14786692

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I get paid to work there....you couldn’t pay me to live there

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I lived in the apartment in Park West for a year.

The general area is bland. Very little around, unless you are willing to walk into Ballyfermot or Liffey Valley. Some of the apartments, like a lot of complexes have unsavoury characters in it. The apartments themselves are actually quite nice. How many are in the family and what ages? There are plenty of families in the blocks. Train station right beside is handy.

I never had any trouble, but I know others who did. I used to also work in Parkwest, and it's literally night and day between business hours and closed hours. Business hours, the place is bustling, lots of people around and traffic. Once the businesses close, it's a ghost town.

To sum up, there are better places, but you will pay a higher amount.

Happy to answer any more questions you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Stay away unless temporary stay. You have the cherry orchard estates too close to it and they are in a league of their own. As others also said, they come and go to the canal during the summer and have zero respect. Also a lot of HAP gone into the apartments beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I lived there in an apartment over 10 years ago. It was a middle of nowhere industrial estate then and it seems that amenities haven't improved at all since going by what people have posted here. Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Theres a number of reasons they are cheap there. I used to work in the area and there is no way I would live there. I live close enough by but even if it was free I wouldnt want to be living in those apartments. I suspect the rumours about what goes on there are not completely unfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 casheltipp

@ kcdiom, what rumours are you talking about, as a owner, occupier I'm not aware of these rumours. I find living here great also with a nice view of The Dublin Mountains to boot. Also I hear the unoccupied ground floor apartments that were planned as retail are being converted for new apartments for sale.

casheltipp wrote: »
    @ kcdiom, what rumours are you talking about, as a owner, occupier I'm not aware of these rumours. I find living here great also with a nice view of The Dublin Mountains to boot. Also I hear the unoccupied ground floor apartments that were planned as retail are being converted for new apartments for sale.

Drug dealing in one part and 2 brothels in another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Really depends on where your apartment is facing. You’ll also get a great view of the scrotes from down the road, riding their horses and scramblers to the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 casheltipp

@ kcdiom, Had no knowledge of this, will be asking at the next agm have other residents information and if so I will get the Garda involved. Can you PM me further information which block etc,

@ kcdiom, Had no knowledge of this, will be asking at the next agm have other residents information and if so I will get the Garda involved. Can you PM me further information which block etc,

I did not ask which blocks as I have no interest in either activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Was looking at a really nice apartment in The Academy block but it seems like the area is a proper hell hole.

A bit disheartening to realise this is what you can have as a single first time buyer in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Joker_R

I've been residing in Park West from past 2 plus years, I would say it's not a bad area, as indicated in some of the comments. The apartments are really nice and quite big in size as compare to the apartments in city, Additionally, the convenience of having a train station and bus stop right outside the apartments is a considerable advantage. We frequently enjoy walks along the nearby canal and office area and never encountered any problems.

It seems a total of roughly 2000 new homes, comprising both houses and apartments have been proposed near Park west train station to enhance the area and make it more appealing to potential buyers.

However, it's worth mentioning that one potential drawback is the proximity to Cherry Orchard, an area known for having a slightly rougher reputation and instances of anti-social behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭con747

Also worth mentioning this thread is over 4 years old.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,330 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bizarre that someone would sign up with this as their first post......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭con747

Yep, but it is still a kip 😂 I'm trying to remember what if any train station is there though, It's been a few years since I was down that way though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement