Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can the irish be trusted?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I was kidding, but OK. We are naturally a delinquent, irresponsible and untrustworthy people.

Is that acceptable?

image.jpg
    Some of what Irish people here write would indeed be more at home on publications like Punch 120 years ago.

But no, there's no self loathing here.

I agree with them that post colonialism isn't relevant to the people they're talking about. It's relevant to THEM, the forelock tuggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Have to agree with Mr. B, most people are *****. Just look at the state of the world. Everyone out for what they can get, whatever the cost.

The value of human life is next to nothing.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Incorrect. It's very easy spot a one by the two traits above and I can recognise the two traits above. If you don't agree then you don't agree but I'd hardly expect one of you to.
    One of you? Lol. You're the one who acts so hostile here (and you're proud of it too). Most others here are civil.

The fact that it's just you who thinks everyone else is a cuntt, and everyone else actually isn't a cuntt at all, and most don't think everyone else is a cuntt... but it has to be you who's right and everyone else wrong... displays extraordinary lack of self awareness.

Have to agree with Mr. B, most people are *****. Just look at the state of the world. Everyone out for what they can get, whatever the cost.

The value of human life is next to nothing.
    The majority aren't cuntts actually. It's a minority who cause all the pain. Are the majority of your family and friends cuntts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

One of you? Lol. You're the one who acts so hostile here (and you're proud of it too). Most others here are civil.

The fact that it's just you who thinks everyone else is a cuntt, and everyone else actually isn't a cuntt at all, and most don't think everyone else is a cuntt... but it has to be you who's right and everyone else wrong... displays extraordinary lack of self awareness.

I'm only hostile to arseholes, and since the Celtic Tiger most people are arseholes and being Irish as we knew it died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Nope, it is YOU. Most people are not cuntts at all, and most people don't think most others are cuntts, whereas you go out of your way to put yourself across as a horrible person here constantly.

Are you Irish? Most likely you are, so perhaps think of the logic of what you're saying - that you, your family and friends cannot be trusted. How does that even begin to make sense?

I am, I still stand by what I say. A lot of Irish in those places are dirt bags, the problem is they bring small town Irish mentalities to big cities.

I see it has changed from "the Irish" so, to "A lot of Irish", which begs the question: why refer to these untrustworthy Irish people as solely "the Irish"? Currently people on this thread are implying that no Irish are trustworthy.

And there are dirtbags in numerous communities - it's not exclusively Irish. Also, Irish communities seem to thrive mostly in the U.S. and UK, despite the awful bigotry they were on the receiving end of. But it must not be difficult to subject a people to bigotry when there is so much of it directed towards themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

I was kidding, but OK. We are naturally a delinquent, irresponsible and untrustworthy people.

Is that acceptable?

image.jpg

Honesty, I look at people blaming a post colonial mindset for Ireland's mistakes in the exact same manner that I do people in their 20's, that have never stepped foot inside a church, bleating about 'Catholic guilt'. Might have worked for your parents or grandparents generation that were effected by these things, but the excuse is wearing a little thin as this stage and has begun to feel like deflection.

Ireland is a narcisistic nation at heart with a serious aversion to personal or collective responsibility towards society or as a society. We are a nation of extremes, ruled by emotion and distrustful of rationality.

The aversion to personal responsibility I very much agree with (although this is certainly not just an Irish thing - freeloaders all over the place in Britain too). But a shouty minority does not make us "A nation of" anything. The majority of Irish people face up to their responsibilities and get on with things

The post colonial legacy is seen in the stuff here that you'd see in Punch magazine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think that we can

branie2 wrote: »
    I think that we can
    As with any people, some Irish people can't be trusted, most can. The poll options are pointless.

To say "we" can't be trusted is absurd, insulting and idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No in my opinion, they seem to be worse outside of Ireland too, places like New York and Toronto they'll easily exploit their own, crabs in a pot springs to mind.

Where in Toronto did you live?

I'm curious because the Irish here have a very good reputation, both from locals and from other immigrants from across the world, many of whom have picked up help or advise from Irish people having moved over. It's kind of weird to be honest,but likely something to do with those two FB groups that by now might as well be "Foreign and new in Toronto" or "foreign and applying for PR".

Advertisement