Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed to Variable

• 12-03-2019 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭

I have a mortgage with EBS and I am currently on a fixed 1 year rate.

Is it possible to go with a variable for 1 year, throw in a lump sum amount to pay off some of it and then revert back to a fixed rate the following year?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Should be. You hoping to reduce the term or the monthly payment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭PCros

Wheety wrote: »
    Should be. You hoping to reduce the term or the monthly payment?

I think the monthly payment I think or would you suggest term?

PCros wrote: »
    I think the monthly payment I think or would you suggest term?

If you reduce the term, your payments will stay the same and it won't be easy to reduce them in future.
    If you reduce you monthly payment, you could always over pay and this would reduce the term anyway. And you could stop overpaying quite easily.

This is general advice, you'd need to check any T&Cs of you own mortgage, especially around overpayments if you change back to fixed.

Wheety wrote: »
    If you reduce the term, your payments will stay the same and it won't be easy to reduce them in future.
    If you reduce you monthly payment, you could always over pay and this would reduce the term anyway. And you could stop overpaying quite easily.

This is general advice, you'd need to check any T&Cs of you own mortgage, especially around overpayments if you change back to fixed.

Thanks Wheety.

I've sent my contact off an email now with a few questions.

Also, when your fixed term ends, you can pay a lumpsum straight away and then fix again. You don't have to wait a year.

• Advertisement

Ah that's interesting - I'll certainly bring that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Moving2017

You will automatically move to variable at the end of the fixed term.

You can then pay the lump the next day, and sign up to the fixed rate again..

There is no reason why you can't do this.

This calculator is really useful for working out the impact of the lump sum: https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/tools-and-calculators/mortgage-calculators/extra-mortgage-payments-calculator/

Advertisement