Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental/Optician Benefit - refund

Options
  • 12-03-2019 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

I went to an optician last year. She asked me do I have the optician benefit. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I said no and she said she would sign me up. I was sent out some things and got them signed by work, sent them back and qualified for optician and dental.

Meanwhile, the optician went ahead with checking my eyes and giving me glasses and said I would be able to claim back if I qualified in the meantime. I contacted the opticians after I qualified thinking they would give me the refund but they said I would need to ask the treatment benefit people for a refund, is this right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sarac87

I would think that this should be the same as the dental benefit as in you go in fill out a form for the optician they send that off and they recieve the money from the benefit section but refunding you the amount the treatment benefit covers as you paid them I would ring and ask again and if no joy ring the benefit section.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sarac87 wrote: »
    I would think that this should be the same as the dental benefit as in you go in fill out a form for the optician they send that off and they recieve the money from the benefit section but refunding you the amount the treatment benefit covers as you paid them I would ring and ask again and if no joy ring the benefit section.

This is partly right.

With the new computerised system the DSFA have installed since Oct 17, approval for optical/Dental benefit can be checked instantly, and if qualified/approved, the benefit of cover is applied at the time you receive treatment.

But, if DSFA need further information (usually a P60) from the persons employer, approval may not be granted by DSFA at the time, it comes up as “pending” on the dentist/optician computer system and they will not be paid, so the person in this case has to pay the full fee and then reclaim it when the approval comes through. If the optician refunds the money to the op, they will not have been paid at all.

Lastly, the DFSA work on a calendar year system, so if the op went to optician, say in August 2018, the DFSA may not process a claim entered for this in 2019. Op, you need to contact DFSA, you will not receive a refund from optician if they are not going to be paid by DFSA.

Advertisement