If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Speakers

Options
  • 12-03-2019 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

Hi

I recently purchased a Denon AVR X 2500h and working fine. However my speakers are older and what I have is 

Yamaha NX E130 speakers 

Manual is located at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/578461/Yamaha-Ns-P100.html#manual

So I have one center , left and right subwoofer and 2 surround sound speakers. They are working ok for the moment but If I do want to upgrade what would you recommend?

Our room is open plan so we dont want any massive speakers or one that would wake up the neighborhood just something small. May buy them in stages depending on the costs. Wireless ones preferably but if they are more expensive also wired speakers 

Cheers 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Irish Gunner,

thanks for the post and well done on your AVRX2500 - it is a super amp!

Your Yamaha speakers will work fine with the AVRX2500, but to be honest the AVRX2500 is really capable of driving far, far better speakers than those Yamaha speakers.

I like your idea of buying the speakers in stages, I'm a big fan of building a system slowly rather than everything landing in one go as if you build it slowly and in increments then you can actually hear where the improvements are coming from! 

If it was me I would look at a few options - if you want to fire ahead and get it all sorted in one go I would look at the Focal Sib EVO 5.1.2 system which is a super system with quite compact satellite speakers but critically the front speakers have the Atmos channel built in - you can check them out here:
    £:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203199-focal-sib-5-1-2-dolby-pack-black-dolby-atmos-speaker-package.aspx

( They are actually better value in € tho')
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203199-focal-sib-5-1-2-dolby-pack-black-dolby-atmos-speaker-package.aspx?swapstore=1

..but back to the staged approach and I would recommend two separate options - I would start by replacing the fronts and centre and in that vein here are two suggestions:

Cambridge Audio Min22 - Front / Centres - these are really stylish and good sounding ultra compact speakers - they are available in Black or White and they look great - there is also a variety of pedestal stands / Floorstands or wall bracket systems available - check them out here:
    £:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201159-cambridge-audio-minx-min22-white-white-single-speaker.aspx?swapstore=1

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201159-cambridge-audio-minx-min22-white-white-single-speaker.aspx

However if you were prepared to upgrade really slowly and get a speaker system that really matches the 2500's capability then I would recommend that you look at the Monitor Audio Radius system - these are really super speakers, really a world apart from your Yamaha in build quality, appearance and sound - I would start with the centre as this will give you the biggest advance in audio as it will really enhance the detail over your Yamaha:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-12548-monitor-audio-radius-200-black-single-centre.aspx

( There is actually one Radius 200 in white Gloss left at just £149 as that finish is being replaced by the white satin finish!)

Then you can add the Radius 90 satellites as time and of course money allows:
    £:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-12540-monitor-audio-radius-90-black-speakers-per-pair.aspx
    €:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12540-monitor-audio-radius-90-black-speakers-per-pair.aspx?swapstore=1

( Don't panic the Radius 90 are priced in pairs!)

And finally when you are ready you can upgrade the Sub to the Radius 380 or even the Radius 390!
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-12553-monitor-audio-radius-380-black-black-subwoofer.aspx

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-12557-monitor-audio-radius-390-black-subwoofer.aspx 

Hopefully that will give you a few different options - don't throw the Yamaha away just yet - use them as a base to upgrade and as ever don't hesitate to mail or post us and we will do our very best to assist or of course give you a Boardie deal ;)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks for that will do it in stages

The centre that you have for £149 thats the best price. Also for Cambridge is that price for each of them (left, Right and centre)

Also which speakers would be for the surround?

Take it all of these are wired speakers no wireless that you link with Denon?

Cheers

On the Radius 200 - that £149 is as low as it goes but TBH you are probably better off ordering in Euro as it's €179 and that price includes shipping whilst the £149 does not inc shipping - that's an additional £6.99.

One thing to keep in mind on the £149 - Radius 200 in the Gloss white ( it's beautiful) is that that white gloss finish is now discontinued ( hence the price!) but there is a new White Satin available in the Radius 90 / 380 / 390 so I don't think it's an issue..

On the Radius 90 - these are priced in pairs, the Radius 200 / Cambridge Audio Min22 are all priced singly.

In terms of all these speakers - yes these are all wired and we would strongly recommend that you use wired speakers for all the main surround speakers - the Denon does feature HEOS multi room capability so you can use the Denon amp as a hub or as a HEOS source which means that you can add any other Denon HEOS product / soundbar or wireless speakers in other rooms of your home to create a really excellent whole home network, but we would really recommend that you don't use wireless speakers in the same area as the AVRX2500 to avoid delay / latency issues.

Thanks again and keep me posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks

For the surround speakers what would the Monitor Audio Radius 45 be like?

We have the front speakers and center speaker under the TV on a glass stand so would like to look at something that would fit there. The Cambridge seem small enough to fit and the Radius 200 but the Radius 90 seems a bit big to fit in neatly.

Are there any similar small speakers that would do a better job than what I have?

Cheers

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks

For the surround speakers what would the Monitor Audio Radius 45 be like?

We have the front speakers and center speaker under the TV on a glass stand so would like to look at something that would fit there. The Cambridge seem small enough to fit and the Radius 200 but the Radius 90 seems a bit big to fit in neatly.

Are there any similar small speakers that would do a better job than what I have?

Cheers
    Hi Irish Gunner.

The Cambridge MIN12 would be one of the smallest speakers we stock followed by the Radius 90's.
    All our other bookshelf speakers are a good bit larger than the Min12 and the Radius 90's.
    I have checked down our list of bookshelf speakers and there is nothing else of this size without purchasing a full 5.1 pack.

The Radius 45 would work well for rears as they are only for sound effects etc.. They would not suit as fronts in my opinion.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Advertisement

Thanks

I may just start with the Centre Speaker (Radius 200)initially so do you have many of these(£149) as just trying to work out my Finances :-)

For the Monitor Audio Radius 45 I may purchase at a later stage for surround are there stands available for these also as I would like to put these behind the couch.

Then I will look at the Cambridge. For these I don't have enough height in the tv stand to put them vertically would be difference of sound if they went horizontally ?

And for my final question on the Denon Avr X2500 set up it asks if I have surround speakers. At the moment all I have is back speakers so cannot set these up separately. Is it better to have 4 surround sound speakers 2 in front 2 behind? At the moment not enough room in our house for 4 so I just use 2 at the back? I have front speakers and centre under TV in a stand and sub woofer to the right of the tv

Thanks

I may just start with the Centre Speaker (Radius 200)initially so do you have many of these(£149) as just trying to work out my Finances :-)

For the Monitor Audio Radius 45 I may purchase at a later stage for surround are there stands available for these also as I would like to put these behind the couch.

Then I will look at the Cambridge. For these I don't have enough height in the tv stand to put them vertically would be difference of sound if they went horizontally ?

And for my final question on the Denon Avr X2500 set up it asks if I have surround speakers. At the moment all I have is back speakers so cannot set these up separately. Is it better to have 4 surround sound speakers 2 in front 2 behind? At the moment not enough room in our house for 4 so I just use 2 at the back? I have front speakers and centre under TV in a stand and sub woofer to the right of the tv
    Hi Irish Gunner.

The stand for the Radius speakers are priced at 250 Euro. I could drop these to 210 euro per pair.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12543-monitor-audio-radius-stand-black-per-pair-speakers-not-included.aspx

For setting up the Denon 2500 you would just set it up as a normal 5.1 system until you have the extra speakers to add in.
    It would be front left and right, Centre and rear left and right followed up with the subwoofer which gives the 5.1 setup.
    You can not set the amp up with only a centre and two rear speakers unfortunately.
    The only way to get surround sound is with all 5 speakers in place (or more if your going 7.1 or 5.1.2 for Atmos).

You can set the MIN12 speaker either way and it will not effect the sound. They are designed to be able to be positioned both ways.

On the Radius 200 there are a small amount left in stock in Black, Satin White and Walnut finishes.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Ok once I get my CC cleared for this month I will start with the Center speakers and then the front speakers later in the year. But if I win the lotto will buy them all.............but chances of that slim

will let you know. As and when I do want to purchase is it best to PM you?

Thanks

Ok once I get my CC cleared for this month I will start with the Center speakers and then the front speakers later in the year. But if I win the lotto will buy them all.............but chances of that slim

will let you know. As and when I do want to purchase is it best to PM you?
    Hey Irish Gunner.

No problem at all.

When your ready drop me your contact number in a PM and we can give you a call.

(Fingers crossed for your lottery win ;) )

Sorry one more question.

I don't have room for the Radius left and right speakers so would get radius centre and Cambridge left and right speakers.

How would the 2 be as a system as 2 different brands would sound be different from each or are they compatible.

How about these below also would they be good options as small size also. Would they require a good subwoofer to get best sound?

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201628-dali-zensor-pico-walnut-speakers-per-pair.aspx

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201629-dali-zensor-pico-vokal-walnut-single-centre.aspx

Cheers

• Advertisement

Sorry one more question.

I don't have room for the Radius left and right speakers so would get radius centre and Cambridge left and right speakers.

How would the 2 be as a system as 2 different brands would sound be different from each or are they compatible.

How about these below also would they be good options as small size also. Would they require a good subwoofer to get best sound?

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201628-dali-zensor-pico-walnut-speakers-per-pair.aspx

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201629-dali-zensor-pico-vokal-walnut-single-centre.aspx

Cheers
    Hey Irish Gunner.

The Pico range are also excellent speakers and would sound better than the Cambridge. They would also match up better with the Monitor Audio range.

Unfortunately I feel you may require a subwoofer with any speaker of these sizes.
    When you start to go into smaller drivers they can not produce the same bass response as the larger one and so a subwoofer would be required to fill those gaps. 

Hope this help a bit.

So if i buy the pico set and centre at first that would be okay for starters and I will use yamaha subwoofer i have and upgrade later.

Are pico speakers compact enough?

Later I could add the surround but it's where to put them. I've 2 behind couch already and not much room elsewhere to put another 2 unless I get a bigger house.

Any suggestions as to put surround speakers anyway or anywhere else??

Cheers

So if i buy the pico set and centre at first that would be okay for starters and I will use yamaha subwoofer i have and upgrade later.

Later I could add the surround but it's where to put them. I've 2 behind couch already and not much room elsewhere to put another 2 unless I get a bigger house.

Cheers
    Hi Irish Gunner.

Sorry I thought you had checked they would fit your space and that's why you had asked if they would suit the Radius 225.

The Pico are 23cm in height to the 20cm of the Radius. So if the Radius are too large then the Pico will be too.
    The Pico are pretty much larger in every way to the Radius.

I'm a little confused over the rear question. Are you looking to replace the two behind the couch or add an extra 2 for a 7.1 setup?

Cheers
    Hi Irish Gunner.

Sorry I thought you had checked they would fit your space and that's why you had asked if they would suit the Radius 225.

The Pico are 23cm in height to the 20cm of the Radius. So if the Radius are too large then the Pico will be too.
    The Pico are pretty much larger in every way to the Radius.

I'm a little confused over the rear question. Are you looking to replace the two behind the couch or add an extra 2 for a 7.1 setup?
    Thats my dilemma

We only have a small table similar to the below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clear-glass-chrome-silver-screens/dp/B00NVL3R5A

So we have the TV on top sat box etc in middle and speakers on the bottom of the table 

I know this is not ideal but limited to space and also little infant running around who likes to pull at speakers.

Thought the Pico would fit on the table even if positioned on its side?

What if we put the speakers behind the TV would the sound be not great if positioned there? Cannot position them at the side of the TV table as it would be like a red rag to a bull with Junior running about and he would have them broken or eaten in a sec.

Current speakers have the below dimensions
    Dimensions (W x H x D)

<NX-E130>.......................... 72 mm x 164 mm x 111 mm
    (2-13/16” x 6-7/16” x 4-3/8”)

<NX-C130> ......................... 300 mm x 72 mm x 110 mm
    (11-13/16” x 2-13/16”x 4-5/16”)

So may just start with the center see how that goes and see where we can locate the left and right speakers but continue to work with the existing ones

We have our existing Yamaha subwoofer in a corner beside TV so thats well out of view so any new subwoofer we could just replace that.

In relation to Surround sound we have 2 speakers on pedestal behind couch(junior just discovered these) but was looking at option to get the full surround sound effect and get 2 more. But where would we put them .....That is the question as Hamlet once thought.

So its trying to strike a balance and compromise etc taking all things into consideration.

First world problems eh?

Any suggestions let me know

Cheers 

Hey Irish Gunner.

That's pretty much the same rack I use myself.

I use the middle shelf for my centre speaker  and the bottom for my amp and bluray player, Sky Q box.
    TV on the top.

If you re-gigged you shelves and moved the sat box etc down to the bottom you could perhaps use something like the Monitor Audio Radius one. It has all 3 speakers built into one bar. Right, left and centre and could fit the middle shelf.
    Priced at 539 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202011-monitor-audio-radius-one-black-3-channel-speaker-passive-soundbar.aspx

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/radius/radius-one/

I wouldn't recommend putting speakers behind the TV as it would block the sound from the speaker.
    The subwoofer is no issue and can remain in the corner of the room. Does your current sub run on speaker cable or a single phono cable. Does it have a power supply that plugs into the wall?

For adding in two extra speakers for 7.1 these would be sides which usually go half way between the front and rears, not ideal for everyones living rooms.
    Or you could add in an extra two Atmos speakers and run 5.1.2

Something else for you now to think about :)

That actually looks better option

The sub woofer is a Yamaha SW-P130 and have this connected to the Denon and also runs a power cable. I can continue to use this but are there others that I should consider

Just checking online for sound demo of the Monitor Audio Radius one but I may pay another visit to your shop soon for a demo 

Cheers

Irish,

just to throw another spanner into the works - if you were looking at the Zensor series and building a system over a while, be a little cautious as the Zensor series is being gradually phased out and you may not be able to complete a full Zensor system - but a Radius One system at the fronts would be a clever idea okay if you could fit it and Junior would find it more difficult to dislodge / eat / fall over a Radius one on a shelf :D

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Irish,

just to throw another spanner into the works - if you were looking at the Zensor series and building a system over a while, be a little cautious as the Zensor series is being gradually phased out and you may not be able to complete a full Zensor system - but a Radius One system at the fronts would be a clever idea okay if you could fit it and Junior would find it more difficult to dislodge / eat / fall over a Radius one on a shelf :D

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Radius seems the best option but you dont have video online with demo? Google and found a few but nothing great but think there is 90% chance of buying this. I can then use the existing Yamaha nx E130 speakers for the surround and I have Yamaha SW P130 Amp, this amp should be ok or should I upgrade this also

Cheers

Irish,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Radius seems the best option but you dont have video online with demo? Google and found a few but nothing great but think there is 90% chance of buying this. I can then use the existing Yamaha nx E130 speakers for the surround and I have Yamaha SW P130 Amp, this amp should be ok or should I upgrade this also

Cheers
    Hi Irish Gunner.

I don't think there is a demo video by Monitor Audio for the Radius One unfortunately.

You could get away with using your current rears for the mean time and upgrading them over time.
    The SWP130 subwoofer can also be used and upgraded when the chance arises.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.