Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotunda consultant recommendations

Options
  • 12-03-2019 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all, first time pregnancy and I'm considering going semi private in the Rotunda. Any recommendations for consultants there?

Thanks!

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Congratulations! I had Richard Horgan and he was brilliant, I’d highly recommend him. I also saw Michael Geary once or twice, too. He was also excellent. TBH everyone I dealt with in the Rotunda was fantastic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Semi-private on all three in the Rotunda....to be honest, it depends on when your first appointment is booked, who is sitting that day.I just went with the same doctor I saw on my 12 week scan for each one.Unfortunately one has left and the other has retired!!But they were all very good, and the midwives are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

This is reassuring as i have decided to go semi private in the rotunda! Can I ask is the €1100 fee inclusive of everything? Due €500 back from my Vhi so seems reasonable :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Hi Nerd Queen,

Yes, I believe the 1,100 euro fee covers everything and you can then claim back 500 euro of that from Vhi. I think the 1,100 euro fee covers an early pregnancy scan, the 12 week scan, and then a later scan.

It might depend on your specific Vhi coverage but my plan will give me 500 euro back from the 1,100 fee. I think that's the biggest cost as Vhi should cover your hospital stay, the birth etc.

I had my 8 week scan yesterday and it was fantastic, it couldn't have gone better. The woman doing it was so lovely and I also met our consultation Michael Geary. I have to say, I was super impressed by the semi-private facility at the Rotunda. Looking forward to the 12 week scan in a couple of weeks now!

Hi Nerd Queen,

Yes, I believe the 1,100 euro fee covers everything and you can then claim back 500 euro of that from Vhi. I think the 1,100 euro fee covers an early pregnancy scan, the 12 week scan, and then a later scan.

It might depend on your specific Vhi coverage but my plan will give me 500 euro back from the 1,100 fee. I think that's the biggest cost as Vhi should cover your hospital stay, the birth etc.

I had my 8 week scan yesterday and it was fantastic, it couldn't have gone better. The woman doing it was so lovely and I also met our consultation Michael Geary. I have to say, I was super impressed by the semi-private facility at the Rotunda. Looking forward to the 12 week scan in a couple of weeks now!

Brilliant thanks! My plan sorry will give me €500 towards the €1,100 and then as you have said they cover the birth etc. Oh an 8 week scan fab! im getting an early 7 week one with my private gynae next week so lots of scans is good. I think you get a scan everytime in the hospital?

Glad you are happy!

• Advertisement

I just panicked when asked whether i wanted a specific consultant by my GP and said no! So its up to fate now! Probably should have done more research but hey its done now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Nerd Queen wrote:
    This is reassuring as i have decided to go semi private in the rotunda! Can I ask is the €1100 fee inclusive of everything? Due €500 back from my Vhi so seems reasonable !

I'd recommend ringing the hospital admissions team just to double check what the fee includes. I went semi private twice in another Dublin hospital and scans were not included in the fee.

bovril wrote: »
    I'd recommend ringing the hospital admissions team just to double check what the fee includes. I went semi private twice in another Dublin hospital and scans were not included in the fee.

Thanks for the advice, i had already rang them to doublecheck alright. That was one of the reasns i liked the rotunda - the pricing structure was very clear and while it initially looks the most expensive you know your cost from the outset.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The 1100eur fee covers everything.I believe that is not the case in Holles St.In the Rotunda, it covers all your appointments, you will see the midwife, and then the doctor seperately in your apptmt.We had a small scan at each appointment by the doctor.It covers all your bloods, any extra visits (I popped in for a 15 week one in semi-p due to a bleed on my third).The 7/8 week scan seems to be an extra thing they have introduced.The only thing not covered is the optional test done around 12 weeks (NIPT?Harmony?) to identify things such as Down's. They offer that at about 350eur I think-you don't have to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

That's right, the test for Down's etc is not covered and it costs 450 euro. I'm getting it done just for my own piece of mind but it's probably not necessary for low risk candidates, such as those under 35 years and with no family history.

Also, Nerd Queen - I didn't ask for a certain consultant in the end and just happened to get Michael Geary. The woman doing my early scan said he's excellent so I'm delighted I got him. I'm sure whoever you get will be great though. Best of luck with everything! :)

• Advertisement

That's right, the test for Down's etc is not covered and it costs 450 euro. I'm getting it done just for my own piece of mind but it's probably not necessary for low risk candidates, such as those under 35 years and with no family history.

Also, Nerd Queen - I didn't ask for a certain consultant in the end and just happened to get Michael Geary. The woman doing my early scan said he's excellent so I'm delighted I got him. I'm sure whoever you get will be great though. Best of luck with everything! :)

Thanks a mill best of luck to you too! I'm going to get the harmony test done too for myself and DH's piece of mind!Also it has the added bonus of indicating gender and seeing as i have a shopping trip stateside booked for months the temptation to buy will be massive!

Advertisement