Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Maynooth

Options
  • 12-03-2019 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know who is the best ISP serving Maynooth. Currently with Virgin Media and they throttle the speed at peak times making it useless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Virgin unfortunately. Nobody else offers anything above 100mbit VDSL and you basically need to see the Eir cabin from your front door for that.

SIRO are coming but aren't here yet

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Does anyone know who is the best ISP serving Maynooth. Currently with Virgin Media and they throttle the speed at peak times making it useless.

I've not experienced this with VM.

If the local cabinet is extremely overloaded it can happen

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We have Virgin too and no experiences of our connection being throttled at peak times. It was used a lot for video conferencing and streaming.
    There is no real competitor in the area.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    We have Virgin too and no experiences of our connection being throttled at peak times. It was used a lot for video conferencing and streaming.
    There is no real competitor in the area.

We're in an estate of old people who don't use the internet much; and there's middling VDSL also.

Some estates have useless VDSL (Eir, Vodafone, Sky) and piles of kids and students who use the internet like crazy in the early evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

L1011 wrote: »
    We're in an estate of old people who don't use the internet much; and there's middling VDSL also.

Some estates have useless VDSL (Eir, Vodafone, Sky) and piles of kids and students who use the internet like crazy in the early evenings.

And you know who is using what device on each connection and its throughput?How did you get these facts?

magentis wrote: »
    And you know who is using what device on each connection and its throughput?How did you get these facts?

I know the demographics of the town. I've worked in an ISP, many years ago but in the broadband/wifi age. I also know from many past posts that Moonbeam lives around the corner from me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Try to keep on topic folks & lets not get personal

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

I live in an apartment near the college, terrible speed drops in the evening. Only able to stream Netflix at 480p at evening time. Paying for 4k

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

VM dont throttle.
    And that comes from an engineer-- we do all the work their vans.

Ive been down this road with them.If youre loosing speeds at peak times raise a complaint with the tech team and you`ll be sorted.And specifically ask if they are throttling.
    Ive been with them for over 10 years now in Maynooth and the only time I experienced slow down I raised the issue with them and it was fixed within a week.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    VM dont throttle.
    And that comes from an engineer-- we do all the work their vans.

Ive been down this road with them.If youre loosing speeds at peak times raise a complaint with the tech team and you`ll be sorted.And specifically ask if they are throttling.
    Ive been with them for over 10 years now in Maynooth and the only time I experienced slow down I raised the issue with them and it was fixed within a week.

Its not throttling, its UBR oversubscription (or whatever euphemism they use for that now) where there are too many subscribers off one termination point.

The removal of analogue TV channels which is underway should open up a lot more potential DOCSIS channels and help here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'm with VM for years now and never experienced any throttling.

Advertisement