Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strabismus - Post Op

• 12-03-2019 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I had surgery to correct strabismus last Friday on one eye (and one muscle). Op went well from surgeons perspective insofar as there were no complications. I was warned that there was a chance I'd still need a small prism post-op, but the brain might even work things out resulting in no prism being required.

Before the op, taking the optimistic view, I asked consultant if I should buy glasses without prisms to wear after the surgery. Definite yes, from surgeon/consultant. After surgery I tried these before leaving hospital, but took them off again after a few mins because there was no comfort, as in vision was very distorted. But this was only a few hours after surgery so too early to expect miracles.

It's now 6 days since the op, and the specs without prisms are still unsuitable. I need to function and find my way around so I reverted to my pre-op glasses with prisms...surprisingly (disappointingly) these were a lot more comfortable. I actually had a plastic layer added to these by the consultant last year which increased the prism and I was able to remove this so that as I type this I'm basically using specs with prisms installed identical to the prescription I had when I presented to the consultant in the first instance.

What have other peoples experiences been like?
    I appreciate this is something I should have asked the surgeon, but should I avoid wearing my glasses to allow my eyes to settle on their own?
    Lastly, this grit in the eye thing is getting old. I notice there is some floating tissue in the corner of my eye. Not sure it should be there and it appears to the source of my irritation (I can move it around and the grit feeling moves with it). Anyone have this occur?

Advertisement