Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to send phone back to UK

• 12-03-2019 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Has anyone chanced sending a smart phone via An Post (Registered Post) from Irish address to UK? If not with An Post with any other parcel/postage service?

Do An Post use Air Freight to send the majority of they items that go to UK.

I got the apple phone from UK shipped over via AddressPal service delivered to my An Post office in the west of Ireland. But know I have to send it back now for repair but An Post won't return cause it has ion battery.

Is there anyone on this forum that can explain why smartphones can't be sent via Air Freight with a sender declaration that a ion-battery is depleted? Christ is very frustrating and time consuming to so get this back over to UK.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

send it via parcel motel, cheaper and easier. address pal is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 11 thorny_twig

@jeepcj ok sound and Thanks for that, I just checked them out. Seems they'll ship my smartphone for under €15 to UK to a direct address. I was under the impression for some strange reason that I couldn't send to UK mainland. Cheers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Has anyone chanced sending a smart phone via An Post (Registered Post) from Irish address to UK? If not with An Post with any other parcel/postage service?

Do An Post use Air Freight to send the majority of they items that go to UK.

I got the apple phone from UK shipped over via AddressPal service delivered to my An Post office in the west of Ireland. But know I have to send it back now for repair but An Post won't return cause it has ion battery.

Is there anyone on this forum that can explain why smartphones can't be sent via Air Freight with a sender declaration that a ion-battery is depleted? Christ is very frustrating and time consuming to so get this back over to UK.

2 planes turned back in January, one to Heathrow because of Lithium Ion batteries in phones. UPS lost 2 pilots and a 747 in 2010 because a fire broke out when Li-ion batteries went on fire. AddressPal should never have shipped it in the first place, it is on their list of prohibited articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Parcel Motel send it by road not air

As do Addresspal I suspect

Ya, I have sent an email to AddressPal to confirm whether its by Air they send parcels/packages. No reply yet.

I was looking at another website that uses An Post Registered Post services called "Parcel2Go" www . parcel2go . com/ie/ and they appear to send smart phones, laptops under the "Special Provision" listed under this web page www . parcel2go . com/ie/prohibited-items. Seems its one rule for big business and another for the common man.

@whiterebel re fires on the UPS 747 flight in 2010, that plane had cargo of 81000 batteries on a pallet, an extreme case I think to make your point. What about all the battery Lith-ion power devices that are carried by people, pilots included, everyday on flight, not just smartphones, toys for example.

It may be just an idea if people did want to send a smartphone / laptop / toy that contains a Lith-ion battery via road or air that the person sending it should have a written declaration that the device is completely depleted of battery power and device is switched off, that it's not connected to a power source, when in use doesn't feel too hot to touch when being charged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ya, I have sent an email to AddressPal to confirm whether its by Air they send parcels/packages. No reply yet.

I was looking at another website that uses An Post Registered Post services called "Parcel2Go" www . parcel2go . com/ie/ and they appear to send smart phones, laptops under the "Special Provision" listed under this web page www . parcel2go . com/ie/prohibited-items. Seems its one rule for big business and another for the common man.

@whiterebel re fires on the UPS 747 flight in 2010, that plane had cargo of 81000 batteries on a pallet, an extreme case I think to make your point. What about all the battery Lith-ion power devices that are carried by people, pilots included, everyday on flight, not just smartphones, toys for example.

It may be just an idea if people did want to send a smartphone / laptop / toy that contains a Lith-ion battery via road or air that the person sending it should have a written declaration that the device is completely depleted of battery power and device is switched off, that it's not connected to a power source, when in use doesn't feel too hot to touch when being charged.

You ignored the situation where the planes had to turn back because single phones went on fire. The UPS situation forced all couriers to reconsider Li-ion batteries as hazardous. Also it doesn’t matter whether it is depleted or not. It is the battery itself is the problem, not whether it is charged or not. The pressure fractures the battery causing it to go on fire.

@whiterebel touché but you ignored my previous point and the biggest elephant that you ever saw in the room. What about all the battery Lith-ion power devices that are carried by people, pilots included, on everyday flights, not just smartphones, toys for example. I did indeed do a google search referring to your turned back planes but it didn't show up in results, you might point me in the right direction to view what your referring to. Thanks ;)

@whiterebel touché but you ignored my previous point and the biggest elephant that you ever saw in the room. What about all the battery Lith-ion power devices that are carried by people, pilots included, on everyday flights, not just smartphones, toys for example. I did indeed do a google search referring to your turned back planes but it didn't show up in results, you might point me in the right direction to view what your referring to. Thanks ;)

Phones , toys and tablets are in the passenger cabin. Where they can be extinguished. Cargo and Mail is shipped in the belly hold where you can’t put out a fire like that.
    Go look for the information on the turn backs if you’re interested, they aren’t hard to find.
    This isn't a p*ss*ng contest. You asked why - I told you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm looking for a solution to send a phone abroad too, I checked parcel2go on the recommendation above, but their https://www.parcel2go.com/ie/prohibited-items page states:

"Batteries
    Batteries And Items Containing Built In Batteries Like Hover Boards, Certain Phones Etc."

as prohibited by all carriers/services :(

Does anyone know of an alternative to ship to Europe?

Also, what are the chances of sending it with an post successfully by just putting a load of stamps on it and sticking it in the drop box at a post office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Start your own thread, plus if a repair with Apple call them and they will arrange the shipping for you.

• Advertisement

Might prove more successful to post in a thread where the other posters had been looking into the same issue before. Less chance of them seeing it otherwise as they may follow/have email updates on this one :)

cormie wrote: »
    I'm looking for a solution to send a phone abroad too, I checked parcel2go on the recommendation above, but their https://www.parcel2go.com/ie/prohibited-items page states:

"Batteries
    Batteries And Items Containing Built In Batteries Like Hover Boards, Certain Phones Etc."

as prohibited by all carriers/services :(

Does anyone know of an alternative to ship to Europe?

Also, what are the chances of sending it with an post successfully by just putting a load of stamps on it and sticking it in the drop box at a post office?

Despite it being on the prohibited list for An Post? You can see why in the thread you have posted this in in consumer affairs.

@cormie Since my last post on this thread, last summer of 2019 I had successfully had my faulty phone sent back from Ireland to UK for repair via "Parcel Motel". Also in summer of 2019 I had same phone and battery powerbank sent to me from UK to Ireland via "AddressPal", do I recommend you do it, NO, do so at your own risk. I don't know any courier that you could possibly send a smartphone containing a battery to Europe from Ireland.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Despite it being on the prohibited list for An Post? You can see why in the thread you have posted this in in consumer affairs.

Yeah I see that now alright!
    @cormie Since my last post on this thread, last summer of 2019 I had successfully had my faulty phone sent back from Ireland to UK for repair via "Parcel Motel". Also in summer of 2019 I had same phone and battery powerbank sent to me from UK to Ireland via "AddressPal", do I recommend you do it, NO, do so at your own risk. I don't know any courier that you could possibly send a smartphone containing a battery to Europe from Ireland.

Thanks, seems parcel motel is the cheapest option to get one to the UK alright. I've never had trouble getting things delivered TO me in Ireland, just shipping stuff out!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jeepcj wrote: »
    send it via parcel motel, cheaper and easier. address pal is a joke

I sent this size parcel this week. An Olight Torch actually.

Parcel Motel was €14.50.
    An Post insured, track and trace with signed delivery was €11.55.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If you got a phone from UK why would you need to send it back to UK?

Does the worldwide warranty not apply if still valid?

I would get in touch with Apple via chat and see if possible for Apple Ireland to arrange things.

Advertisement