Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraying a frame

Options
  • 12-03-2019 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I fancy spraying a frame, in some retro team colour scheme, but want to do it myself. Has anyone anyone any experience of using that spray.bike paint, have seen some clips of people on youtube who have used it, and it looks pretty good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Why dont you just get car paint in the colours you want instead of using what looks like re branded graffiti paint ? Bit of clear coat over the top then and you'll be left with a nice finish. Could even wet sand and polish to make it better and of course wax it after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Is a guy in Donard, Co. Down who sprays frames. maybe give him a ring & he might give you some adviuce re paint type, techniques, etc.

http://donard.cc/contact

Works of art

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

LCD wrote: »
    Is a guy in Donard, Co. Down who sprays frames.

I love following bike builders and painters on instagram. Lovely craft. I hadn't heard of that guy before.

Field cycles in the UK do lovely work: http://www.fieldcycles.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

bsb1971 wrote: »
    I fancy spraying a frame, in some retro team colour scheme, but want to do it myself.

There's a place opposite the old entrance to Connolly staton in Dublin. They spray bikes. Could be worth dropping in for advice if you're around Dublin.

• Advertisement

Its brilliant work. Love it when they replicate the old graphics too, some serious time put in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Don’t use rattle can paint if you want it to last. Chips too easily.

Powder coat or professional paint.

Car sprayers are not likely to do as good a job as guys who regularly spray paint bikes..... so I’ve read.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Chris at Custom Designs is also pretty good. He's on Facebook. Based near Newry. He can do any colour scheme you have in mind, no matter how complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Look for Madclown designs on Facebook if you want a seriously intricate job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

I've gone to Chris Customs Designs. Lovely guy, excellent work. He is up near Scarva near Criagavon.
    Wouldn't be huge fans of Celtic around there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Thanks for all the comments, I've thought about getting it done professionally, but fancy having a crack at it myself, its not something I really want to spend big money on to be honest, I got myself a bargain on ebay - a Peugeot Optimum Reynolds 531 frameset, and I have a set of 1 inch Giant carbon forks in the ONCE colours, which I have always had a gra for. So its a pretty straight forward job tbh, my plan is to do a respray and then pop on a modern groupset. Again, thanks, plenty of food for thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You thinking of something like this?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92151264

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

@eamonnator, my current plan is to respray it in the once team colours (I know they cycled Giant, but have given up trying to get one of those frames), and spec it out probably with ultegra 6600/6700 groupset, use up some of the parts in my possession. Not to everyone's tastes, but that's my plan!

Advertisement