Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think they were saying on Sky panel that she had only a working majority of 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Headshot wrote: »
    I wonder is just a matter if time before the Government collapses

They're hardly even a government at this stage. May has no control over her own party and can't really even afford to fire rebellious ministers. It's an unprecedented situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Sky News contributors think a general election is looking a lot more likely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

bilston wrote: »

That'd have to come with an extension from the EU side. Wonder what manifesto the Tories would run on. "Strong and Stable" needs to be retired methinks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I wish the Tories the very best of luck in agreeing a manifesto.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

30 Rebels on the Letwin vote, including Damian Green, according to Sky News.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    They're hardly even a government at this stage. May has no control over her own party and can't really even afford to fire rebellious ministers. It's an unprecedented situation.

The brexiters may force a general election now as they see the dream slipping away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If you're in the mood for a dose of irony, the last one was penned by Nick Timothy and Ben Gumner with no input from MP's or ministers. You had the likes of Jeremy Hunt not knowing what was there for the NHS until the release. Doesn't seem like such a bad idea in hindsight.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Maybe, but they were making a counterpoint that to go to a General Election now, would mean having to campaign with May still as leader, with May's deal still as their prime campaign point (and with the ERG having to stand behind it, or tear the Tories apart) and as a party in disarray. More likely IMO they'll buy time, possibly even Revoke before calling a GE, so they can sort themselves out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Labour sucks; Free economy is better than communism; Corbyn would lead to disaster.

Now spin it a few times and keep it high level and you're gold. Don't mention Brexit, DUP or May of course. That's how I'd expect it would be spun; high level on things everyone can agree on with some vague NHS improvements etc. thrown in to ensure it sounds good and proper. Call it "Allowing candidates to listen to their constituencies concerns on Brexit" or something similarly noble as an excuse to why it's not included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Brexiteers will be moving to TMs Deal as it's the best on offer for them at this point.

The brexiters may force a general election now as they see the dream slipping away.

Yeah, it looks very like straw-clutching. Given the Tory rebellions tonight, No Deal is almost certainly a non-runner.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Beckett's amendment result

Ayes 311
    Noes 314

REJECTED

• Registered Users Posts: 54,292 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Oh wow that is a big of a shocker there for Beckett Amendment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Akrasia wrote: »
    Or the soft brexiteers/remainers will feel emboldened to push for revoke/2nd referendum.

That's exactly why I think the Brexiteers will cave, they see Brexit slipping away entirely, or at least getting a lot softer.

I hope it's revoked ppersonally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

We still have to see Letwin get through as the main motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Beckett loses, that means No deal is till a risk. That might actually undermine May further as ERG and DUP know that keeping up their shenanigans might lead to an accidental crash out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭briany

I didn't realise there'd be votes tonight. What did I miss so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Can we now be confident that a 'No Deal' crash-out will not happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I thought that was it. What are they voting on now?

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Labour sucks; Free economy is better than communism; Corbyn would lead to disaster.

Now spin it a few times and keep it high level and you're gold. Don't mention Brexit, DUP or May of course. That's how I'd expect it would be spun; high level on things everyone can agree on with some vague NHS improvements etc. thrown in to ensure it sounds good and proper. Call it "Allowing candidates to listen to their constituencies concerns on Brexit" or something similarly noble as an excuse to why it's not included.

They could try that but Brexit is the new EastEnders/Coronation Street so everyone has a strong opinion and everyone has an interest. The GE will have to be fought on Brexit not least because it would be the cause of the GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Headshot wrote: »
    Oh wow that is a big of a shocker there for Beckett Amendment

All i can think of to explain this, is that most of the tories who broke the whip last time did so because they want a no deal?

I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I thought that was it. What are they voting on now?

The original motion as ammended by Letwin

• Registered Users Posts: 54,292 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Akrasia wrote: »
    All i can think of to explain this, is that most of the tories who broke the whip last time did so because they want a no deal?

Ya Tories still want that threat of No Deal on the table

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Inquitus wrote: »
    We still have to see Letwin get through as the main motion.
    Explain please?

Not in my opinion. It's still the default unless Parliament can at least agree on an extension with the EU the prerequisite of which is a new plan, ie second referendum, a large extension or general election in decreasing order of my preferences.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Explain please?

The first vote tonight was just to add Letwin as an amendment.

Now voting on the main motion with amendment added.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I'd wager no general election being run on a stay or leave manifesto, just like the last one people will vote for taxation, pensions and local issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

If you're in the mood for a dose of irony, the last one was penned by Nick Timothy and Ben Gumner with no input from MP's or ministers. You had the likes of Jeremy Hunt not knowing what was there for the NHS until the release. Doesn't seem like such a bad idea in hindsight.

Did you read any of Tim Shipman's books by any chance? I think I read the above in that but I cant quite remember. His third book will be bloody huge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement