Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Explain please?

Government puts down a motion, "This house..."
    The motion is in neutral terms and is amendable, in other words, the motion itself does not do anything and is only there to allow amendments to be tabled.
    MP's put forward their amendments and the Speaker selects a number of them to put to the vote.

The house and votes and aproves or rejects each amendments as the case may be. These votes on amendments are simply changing what the motion says. When the amendment phase is over, the amended motion is then put to the house to be passed or rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

327 Aye
    300 No

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Ayes: 327

Noes: 300

Majority: 27

Overall Motion

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Claire Byrne does not give any rope at all to the Brexiters she interviews.

4 Must have abstained.

• Advertisement

Did I really just see one Tory personally attack another?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Did you read any of Tim Shipman's books by any chance? I think I read the above in that but I cant quite remember. His third book will be bloody huge.

Both of them, yes. The third is due later this year.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭maebee

nc6000 wrote: »
    Do any of you know why Faisal Islam is still on Sky? It was announced last year he was moving to the BBC. I'm guessing he's waiting until Brexit is over before moving so he could be on Sky for another while yet.

Hadn't heard he was moving to the BBC but have to say I find him excellent. Whenever I'm conbrexitfused, he makes it clearer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

devnull wrote: »
    4 Must have abstained.

Looks like it, or they just left early to beat the traffic.

Jeremy Corbyn just called for a confirmatory referendum on any proposals agreed by the EU

Tories now screaming at Bercow cause he made a joke about the Tory whip being ineffective

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It's like an argument in a pub. Shouting and roaring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Bercow dropping bombs here, he's great

He overstepped the mark there surely (in his comment to Greg Hands)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

He overstepped the mark there surely.

seems more like he was ribbing his mate than anything more serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

maebee wrote: »
    Hadn't heard he was moving to the BBC but have to say I find him excellent. Whenever I'm conbrexitfused, he makes it clearer to me.

There was a load of journo's announcing today they are moving actually. Sam Coates from The Times is moving to Sky also.

He overstepped the mark there surely (in his comment to Greg Hands)

In all fairness, the guy who had a right go at Letwin in a very aggressive way showed a complete lack of respect and I have no problem with Bercow for dealing with that, people could show each other respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

It's like an argument in a pub. Shouting and roaring.

No matter what my opinion of the brexit-voting electorate is, they deserve better representation than they're being given in the HOC right now.

These mps are an absolute disgrace, carrying on like a herd of braying donkeys.

Predictable government response
    It is disappointing to see this amendment pass, as the government made a clear commitment to provide a process to find a majority in parliament for a way forward this week.

This amendment instead upends the balance between our democratic institutions and sets a dangerous, unpredictable precedent for the future.

While it is now up to parliament to set out next steps in respect of this amendment, the government will continue to call for realism - any options considered must be deliverable in negotiations with the EU.

Parliament should take account of how long these negotiations would take and if they'd require a longer extension which would mean holding European parliamentary elections.

The bit in bold is laughable, it would be undemocratic if the government could do what it wants without having to hold votes and abide by any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,915 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The sun are reporting according to LBC that JRM and Ian Duncan Smith have said they will back the WA if Theresa May lays out a timetable for her stepping down as PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Interesting that there wasn’t much of a consensus on the sky panel that the votes on Wednesday will do much to move things forward. That Henry Newman guy seemed to be suggesting it might make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Letwin is in charge of the process on Wed according to Bercow.
    Newman is watching his own bright future in the Tory Party. Wed will depend a lot on the structuring of the voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The sun are reporting according to LBC that JRM and Ian Duncan Smith have said they will back the WA if Theresa May lays out a timetable for her stepping down as PM.

Thought so. typically self serving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is a dreadful air of superiority with the Brexiter in the audience on C Byrne Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Itssoeasy wrote: »

What about their commitment to the DUP?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the answer to that is on the side of the big red bus. (- or under it).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great to see the Brexiteers moaning at tonight's vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

I think the answer to that is on the side of the big red bus. (- or under it).

And ERG can now point to DUP if Brexit does not happen. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,292 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

They dont give a **** about the DUP, it's just an excuse to not vote for May's deal.

If Northern Ireland wasnt part of the UK they'd be ****ing delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Who says it can actually pass without the DUP?

• Administrators Posts: 53,810 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

She has to be finished now. Surely we’ll all wake up tomorrow to a resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Has the erg simply run out of road here? It’s a choice between not supporting pm and letting process run on, hoping for no deal but fearing something a lot worse or voting for WA, replacing May with Boris and taking control of the critical second stage of the process. Probably too late for that now, though, they still wouldn’t have the numbers. Their power to influence any outcome looks a bit weak right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The man is a genuine idiot (I hope that does not count as unparliamentary language) and one who the BBC let loose with that ridiculous Airbus/WW2 interview.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement