Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That's different from a 2nd ref yeah?

Eod100 wrote: »

A confirmatory referendum on May's deal and PD vs Remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What times are they going to be debating the amendments and the actual times of the votes for tomorrow?

• Advertisement

A Tory MP named Andrew Bridgen was just on BBC News and he managed to put the following words next to each other, in this order: "They [the EU] are so desperate for us [the British] to sign this withdrawal agreement..."

The level of incredible conceit and delusion among these people is the only thing world class that they have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

So it’s essentially a 2nd Referendum, without them losing face.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A Tory MP named Andrew Bridgen was just on BBC News and he managed to put the following words next to each other, in this order: "They [the EU] are so desperate for us [the British] to sign this withdrawal agreement..."

The level of incredible conceit and delusion among these people is the only thing world class that they have left.

Oul Andrew is a special kind of Tory, and that hasn't been his most outlandish comment during Brexit. He's the guy who live on radio said he's entitled an Irish passport because he's British. When the host pulled him up on his nonsense and wanted him to delve deeper into it his phone mysteriously hung up and remained switched off.

SNIP.

The BBC still give this person of questionable intelligence airtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It sure is the opposite of Stockholm Syndrome anyway.

I don't think their left hand knows what their right hand is doing now, it is just absolutely bizarre.

But I am hopeful for a sensible solution other than No Deal, which no one wants anyway. Sad thing is, they don't seem to know what they actually WANT either, hence all the flailing around at the last minute.

Interesting days ahead. Let us hope that common sense prevails. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If LB are stepping into positive options, I can't see why they are not attainable.
    The EU will have little problem granting an extended extension if the UK want a soft Brexit or a 2nd Ref.
    With the voting system tomorrow, they can support two positions.

• Advertisement

Also, what's keeping the Tories from throwing the DUP under the bus?

Yeah, they might need them for holding power for the moment, but how long more are English Tories going to allow the nature of their post-Brexit state to be held to ransom by the wishes of the remnants of Empire in Ireland?

That day of reckoning/"betrayal" must be widely talked about behind closed doors in English Brexitland. It would be a radically different, more "independent", Brexit if the Tories dropped the claim over part of Ireland. The DUP really have a very short game to play here before the English decide what's going to happen the constitutional position of Unionists in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Cheeky of them to only compell 'this parliament' to hold a referendum given that 'this' parliament might only have 2 weeks left before it is dissolved

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ray Bassett on prime time talking rubbish as per usual

Ray Bassett on prime time talking rubbish as per usual

What's he saying this time?

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Will Labour whip their members to vote for their amendment? Can they do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That ray bassety guy is a special case. Clearly some kind of axe to grind with the EU, must be on Trumps payroll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Eod100 wrote: »

Should that not be explicit - is there a way May could twist that to call a General Election and declare that a 'confirmatory public ballot'?

If it clearly means a referendum, is there anything to ensure it's those two options and not May's deal / no deal?

Headshot wrote: »
    What's he saying this time?

Ireland should never have pushed the backstop and been the UKs bff

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

This is by far the best outcome far as I’m concerned, has been for ages. Not up to speed on tonight’s developments, but if this is a result of labour remainers finally taking the initiative in their party, then we might finally be getting somewhere. Just a hopeful interpretation on my part though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Headshot wrote: »
    What times are they going to be debating the amendments and the actual times of the votes for tomorrow?

Order of business will be decided in the morning by Bercow. Usually these votes have been beginning at about 7pm but if there are a large number of amendments to be debated in one day, the speaker might choose to delay the votes..

It's going to be a very long day tomorrow that's for sure.

Even the morning is going to be contentious. I can see at least an hour or two taken up by arguments and accusations of bias about why some amendments were selected but not others

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Ireland should never have pushed the backstop and been the UKs bff

sigh what gob****e thing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That ray bassety guy is a special case. Clearly some kind of axe to grind with the EU, must be on Trumps payroll

Apparently holds a grudge against his former employers the DFAT

Oh clearly. He’s bursting with unbridled resentment against the Irish state. Hope he’s well gone from all ambassadorial and diplomatic roles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I hope he represented Ireland as ambassador to Canada with more logic than he is using in his approach to Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The indicative voting itself won't take that long as it's just one ballot sheet. Tabulating the results will take an hour.

Seems Lb are coalescing and Tories disintegrating.

I hope he represented Ireland as ambassador to Canada with more logic than he is using in his approach to Brexit.

Very unlikely from what I’ve seen of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Some diplomat there alright. But I suppose as long as he is not breaching the Official Secrets Act he can say what he likes now that he is out of Colditz.

He is on my non Boards ignore list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Why is Kate Hoey a Labour MP? She sides with the Tories/defies the Labour whip on every single Brexit-related amendment. Was amazed to see she’s been a Labour MP since 1989, in Vauxhall of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Hurrache wrote: »
    The cat may be out of the ERG's bag. They're really making burning the crap out of their bed for the future trade talks. And these same eejits are whinging that the backstop is not needed!

https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1110585429600993280

I still don't see where the swing of 75 is going to come from. Even with the DUP and ERG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Ray Basset is a 'Senior Fellow on EU Affairs' with the British centre-right 'think tank' [propaganda dissemination] Policy Exchange. I'm not sure what privileges that bestows upon him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement