Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    May won't be got rid of so easily. She's determined to put it mildly to get her way.

Those who hold the reins of power do not often relinquish them lightly

Bercow getting serious flak from all sides. This won't end well for parliamentary procedure.

Was this during PMQ's or in general?

Any link please and thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Those who hold the reins of power do not often relinquish them lightly

If I was her I would have retired by now and let someone else sort the mess..!

Eod100 wrote: »
    If I was her I would have retired by now and let someone else sort the mess..!

I suppose...but her doing so would only add to her enmity in the public eye. Even though she wasn't supportive of Brexit in the first place you can guarantee there would be people jeering about rats jumping a sinking ship etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Was this during PMQ's or in general?

Any link please and thank you

Here. Scroll down to 16.12pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

I suppose...but her doing so would only add to her enmity in the public eye. Even though she wasn't supportive of Brexit in the first place you can guarantee there would be people jeering about rats jumping a sinking ship etc.

I'd say Theresa May could afford to live somewhere out of the way, if public opinion was really that set against her. Most reasonable people would see that her position was impossible and that she's had to play some of the most difficult political hopscotch in the entire history of British politics. Tony Blair can still show his face in public despite having led the UK into a completely needless and unpopular war, so I expect May could do the same after a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

https://news.sky.com/story/live-mps-to-vote-on-brexit-alternatives-as-theresa-may-battles-to-save-her-deal-11676313
    So May says she'll go before phase 2 of the negotiations provided her deal is passed, still heading for no deal IMO because CP remainers will be worried about a hard line Brexiteer becoming PM.

EDIT Also Bercow has still disallowed an MV on it for this session of parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

May bites the bullet. She has surprised me and it has me worried that we'd see the likes of fecking Boris now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Headshot wrote: »
    May bites the bullet. She has surprised me and it has me worried that we'd see the likes of fecking Boris now.

Imagine if Boris became leader and installed a Brexiteer/ERG cabinet. How many Tory MPs would defect?

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    So May says she'll go before phase 2 of the negotiations provided her deal is passed, still heading for no deal IMO because CP remainers will be worried about a hard line Brexiteer becoming PM.

Thankfully, the job of British PM isn't taken by force. It must be voted upon. So, if there are more Brexit moderates than hardliners in the party, how would a hardliner win it? And wouldn't it be an act of party suicide to do so anyway? There's already been resignations due to the party's shift to the right. A further shift to the right would surely prompt more resignations.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The DUP aren't releasing a statement today. Were they meant to be releasing one today on brexit ? Well they aren't now it seems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He was the favorite last I checked and remains popular among the membership of the Conservative party.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

But the WA is still a bad deal. JRM even said it is worse than remaining. Will this do anything to change the minds of the DUP?

briany wrote: »
    Thankfully, the job of British PM isn't taken by force. It must be voted upon. So, if there are more Brexit moderates than hardliners in the party, how would a hardliner win it? And wouldn't it be an act of party suicide to do so anyway? There's already been resignations due to the party's shift to the right. A further shift to the right would surely prompt more resignations.

Well firstly the Brexit WA would be agreed so it comes down to negotiating the trade deal etc.

It doesn't matter about more moderates than hardliners it's votes for not votes against so that would depend on who wants the job, probably Boris and who's going to run against him?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The DUP aren't releasing a statement today. Were they meant to be releasing one today on brexit ? Well they aren't now it seems.

A sign that they are thinking seriously about drinking the WA Koolaid?

He was the favorite last I checked and remains popular among the membership of the Conservative party.

The only thing against him is this colleagues cannot stand him, so they have to put 2 people up for election and hopefully one isnt Boris

The election will then go to the members who are idiots and will vote for Boris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

briany wrote: »

Thats the dreaded "split" the tories, even moderated Tories fear, but it might become inevitable. Brexit has really exposed the divisions.

While I won't quote specific examples for fear of getting a talking to from a mod. Lots of things have been popular amongst many groups of people it doesn't mean it's a good thing.

The only thing against him is this colleagues cannot stand him, so they have to put 2 people up for election and hopefully one isnt Boris

The election will then go to the members who are idiots and will vote for Boris

You don't need two that's how May got in by default.

• Advertisement

A sign that they are thinking seriously about drinking the WA Koolaid?

I didn't hear what they were specifically they were supposed to be making a statement about, other than it being some version of saying no about the WA.

True but I was listing to Sky news and one of the Tories who's responsible for the elections wants a proper competition this time

Is May stepping down conditional on all the ERG backing her to get deal through? Don't think DUP statement will back May's deal when they oppose it so much

Theresa May got in because the two others who would have been against her in the final vote pulled out. She didn't run unopposed for Tory party leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Enzokk

May offering to resign to get her deal through is just another bribe from a desperate politician. Do anything and say anything to get it done. The fact remains that whoever takes over will have a shambles of a deal to contend with. If they are a leaver then they will have the deal as it keeps the UK aligned with the EU rules due to the GFA. If they are a remainer, it is too far apart from the EU for their liking.

I think Nicola Sturgeon says it best, again it seems:

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1110958913678176258

May is not the problem here, Brexit is the problem and you are not going to solve Brexit without either doing harm to the country or upsetting a lot of people.

Is May stepping down conditional on all the ERG backing her to get deal through? Don't think DUP statement will back May's deal when they oppose it so much

It's reported she'll resign when "brexit is delivered" which I find an interesting way of putting it. There isn't Going to be a DUP statement tonight now.

Well firstly the Brexit WA would be agreed so it comes down to negotiating the trade deal etc.

It doesn't matter about more moderates than hardliners it's votes for not votes against so that would depend on who wants the job, probably Boris and who's going to run against him?

If Boris ran on a platform of continuing Euro-scepticism, then it invites another contender, as it's not exactly a view that unites the party. Secondly, even if he ran unopposed, would he maintain the support of his whole party? All those Remain MPs would surely become a major thorn in the side of his plans.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's reported she'll resign when "brexit is delivered" which I find an interesting way of putting it. There isn't Going to be a DUP statement tonight now.

Seems to be a few different wordings of her statement going around. Other was before next stage of negotiations. Who knows really tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

2 Things:

#1 Its not clear that she can get MV3 across the line, even with the DUP and most of the ERG, there's still about 10 ERG who won't go for it, and then a number of remainers who may prefer to see the outcome of indicative votes which can deliver the softer Brexit they want.
    #2 Bercow may not allow it to be brought back, as per his comments earlier.

It may just be that Indicative votes are given the chance they need to see if consensus can be reached, and a Softer Brexit the conclusion. MV3 can always be brought back by Bercow if its the only way forwards I guess.

• Advertisement

Seems to be a few different wordings of her statement going around. Other was before next stage of negotiations. Who knows really tbh

But surely the wording of what she said is coming from people in the actual room. If it's the room where the result of the vote of confidence happened last year it's not that big a room. I'm asking how is there a few different wordings from one speech she gave ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement