Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭briany

May sort of needs the DUP's support on her deal. It's not about the numbers, it's about the fact that there's no reason for the DUP not to pull support for the government in the event of May's deal going through, putting a border in the Irish sea. It's their dead man's switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,780 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Eod100 wrote: »
    She is loving the attention.
    Let's hope in next GE their votes aren't needed

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

May had to offer her job to get her deal across the line and now has to hope it fails to remain in power.
    Bizarre.
    The whole thing is bizarre. "We hate your deal so much that we will only support it if you resign". It makes zero sense unless you consider that the only reason anyone blocked May's deal is because they hate her, but they don't actually mind the deal at all.

Which takes pettiness and recklessness to a whole new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Eod100 wrote: »

Are they abstaining or voting against? Jacob is hiding behind Arlene's skirt and saying he will vote for the WA if the DUP abstain. Be great if they voted against and Jacob would have to come up with another excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

So May will stay in position? But she's even weaker than she was before? Why make promises about resigning when DUP were never onside?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Surely causing a no deal exit/no Brexit also threatens the integrity of the United Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ulster sez..... ah yis know the story by now
    https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1111006639774199808?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Why are the DUP so against the deal, when it was changed to make the backstop UK-wide and not NI only, for them? Tired of hearing them bleat on about the threat to the integrity of the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

bob mcbob wrote: »

Davidson is a media construct - 'her' cohort of 13 MPs are invisible and ineffectual at protecting Scotlands interests - the reason of course is that they there is no such party as the Scottish Tories, they all report to May and the Tory whips

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Very unlikely indeed it can pass now:
    The DUP will definitely be voting against May’s deal, not abstaining, a source confirms.

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1111008642348826625

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Good auld DUP, they are really the party of the minority in NI. It's quite clear they want a no deal brexit and so they can burn up the Good Friday Agreement.

I really would love a GE and toss those pieces of work out of Government.

All though in a sense I would love to see Mays deal to go through and look at the head of Foster when it does. It would be a thing if beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just home, have the votes actually happened or what.

I am now looking at Mark Francois. Oh he is so good (at making people go the other way lol).

So, the WA is toast. May will wander on like a stray pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just home, have the votes actually happened or what.

I am now looking at Mark Francois. Oh he is so good (at making people go the other way lol).

Votes have been completed but no results yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Shelga wrote: »
    Why are the DUP so against the deal, when it was changed to make the backstop UK-wide and not NI only, for them? Tired of hearing them bleat on about the threat to the integrity of the union.

They have nothing else in their sad lives only the bloody union.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

So ironically enough we could be looking at no/slow Brexit rather than no deal? And DUP unintentionally helping it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Funny how a lot of media journalists and commentators were disparaging the indicative vote process, but have warmed to it as they have seen it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭brickster69

Leo just sh#t his pants.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Headshot wrote: »
    I really would love a GE and toss those pieces of work out of Government.

It may be the last, and only, time they have power in parliament. I cannot see anyone ever again getting into bed with them in order to make up a government. It has to be a case study of how poor research into your suitor and desperation for power royaly ****s you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Leo just sh#t his pants.

Why, if anything things are moving towards a softer Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,780 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

boggerman1 wrote: »
    They have nothing else in their sad lives only the bloody union.
    That is it exactly, Scotland would have killed for a backstop.
    It could have been a real boon to the economy in northern Ireland but nope torched that.
    The fact she is still there after cash for ash, Ian Paisley junior is still there after all his paid for holidays, says it all about the neck of them.
    You know what they will still get the same idiots voting for them no matter what.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the DUP are giving Boris et al a political masterclass.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Now voting on not leaving on Friday and delaying until April or May.

Faugheen wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but the DUP are giving Boris et al a political masterclass.

Last sting of a dying wasp. They have alienated the Tories and a large part of their base. Next election, they will be irrelevant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

But the Tories reassured Arleeeene that the backstop would apply to the whole of the UK? So NI will be treated the same as the rest of the previous mainland? So NI will also be going up in flames along with their masters, which is literally all she/they care about.

Unless she thinks the Tories might later break their promise and cut NI loose? Surely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The DUP voting against something and saying no ? Imagine that. The People of the north have a lot to answer for for voting to the extremes of both traditions.

Faugheen wrote: »

Not really. It's a cliché and every cliché has truth behind it. They only know how to say No, or Yes.

They have no idea as to how negotiate or compromise when it's in their, and their country's best interest, e.g. they had a dream offer gifted to them by the EU and they said, have a guess, No. They can't even govern their own country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

NI unionism drags down the UK

You got to admit karma is a bitch

• Advertisement

The DUP not going to abstain. Stabbing the ERG in the back. What will Jacob do now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement