Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Being a nuisance is one thing, but this is the first time that the political union has caused a signifncant disruption and frustration of English policies.

But for WWI, there'd almost inevitably have been a civil war a decade early, and the Tories were cheek-in-jowl with unionists during that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Hurrache wrote: »
    Interesting point raised on Sky, DUP worried about the upcoming local elections as apparently the funds aren't coming in to their war chest from their usual business and farming sources.

The UUP will be happy bunnies watching the DUP furiously shooting themselves in both feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In the backstop the UK could diverge from the EU but NI cannot move with them as they have to stay aligned to the EU/ROI. This is where the schism, as far as they are concerned would happen. My best understanding of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Shelga wrote: »
    I still don’t understand the DUP’s objection. What barriers would there be between NI a and GB if both are in a backstop/customs union?

They know. Like the rest of us know that the hardliners will never be happy in the customs union. Sure aren't they going to deals all over the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

And where are Sinn Feins MPs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its something like 5,000 paper votes to be counted and confirmed by a limited staff. Thats way out of the norm and who wants to get this one wrong....?

The HoC needs to move with the times, the devolved parliament in Scotland voted this today and it was known in seconds as they use electronic voting

https://twitter.com/BBCsarahsmith/status/1110953338722492419

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Where they always said they would be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭maebee

Alastair Campbell saying he got a txt from David Blevins who said that businesses in NI have stopped supporting /financing the DUP. They are masters at biting their nose to spite their face

Same place they've been since 1918. But of course you already knew that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Arlene says the Union is the most important thing for her, for the DUP and for the 10 MPs. To hell with the people of NI of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Arlene says the Union is the most important thing for her, for the DUP and for the 10 MPs. To hell with the people of NI of course.

The union is most important when it suits them and noone else. They suit themselves when it isnt in the common interest of all of course.
    Hurrache wrote: »
    Interesting point raised on Sky, DUP worried about the upcoming local elections as apparently the funds aren't coming in to their war chest from their usual business and farming sources.

So it begins..... Their actions, arrogance, stupidity and absolute failure to even be competent and pragmatic is finally beginning to show actual consequences for them.

##SNIP##

No Memes please.

The DUP seems to think the "treaty" can still be changed.

Cloud cuckoo land.

They're dealing with the EU now

Not Bertie and Blair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

You won't be surprised at some point Arlene will join JRM & Boris as the last rat off the No Deal sinking ship

• Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The poor NI Farmers and business are hurting big time because of Brexit and the uncertainty but the DUP don't get a toss, this will cost them big time in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sky News saying a GE is VERY likely now and the DUP are likely to suffer serious damage particularly the real prospect of losing their balance of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Arlene foster apparently regrets not being able to vote for the deal. Is she feck regretful. She also blamed the prime minister for going for the backstop. Isn’t that nice of her ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks to all who put me right about the latest suspension re counting etc.

Just wondered (and I am sure some know) if all votes are paper based or just this series?

Is it because all votes were taken simultaneously? Seems results from other votes are quite swift.

My apologies if my questions are off the wall, I was out earlier, and really finding it difficult to keep up with all this. But you are very generous with your help I find, and thanks.

Not representing their constituents
    Absentee MPs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭briany

The HoC needs to move with the times, the devolved parliament voted this today and it was known in seconds as they use electronic voting

https://twitter.com/BBCsarahsmith/status/1110953338722492419

The HoC positively revels in its traditions. I'm surprised they even allow mics or cameras into the place. Looking into the Lords is even worse. 'Decrepit' accurately describes both the people and the furniture.

Absentee MPs

They are

• Advertisement

Absentee MPs

By abstaining they are representing their constituents. They where elected on a platform of abstention

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is Parliament TV down? All I am getting is a clock.

Headshot wrote: »
    The poor NI Farmers and business are hurting big time because of Brexit and the uncertainty but the DUP don't get a toss, this will cost them big time in the next election.
    Of course the DUP don’t care. They have proven themselves to be mé feiners and feck the rest.

briany wrote: »
    The HoC positively revels in its traditions. I'm surprised they even allow mics or cameras into the place. Looking into the Lords is even worse. 'Decrepit' accurately describes both the people and the furniture.

True, although the HoL as an institution needed to be retired decades ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Results are delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Thanks to all who put me right about the latest suspension re counting etc.

Just wondered (and I am sure some know) if all votes are paper based or just this series?

Is it because all votes were taken simultaneously? Seems results from other votes are quite swift.

My apologies if my questions are off the wall, I was out earlier, and really finding it difficult to keep up with all this. But you are very generous with your help I find, and thanks.

Votes are on the one piece of paper, so not the simple case of counting different stacks.

We should have sent over our tally men to help them out.

• Administrators Posts: 53,814 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No matter what the DUP do now they're going to get hit.

They just have to decide who they want to piss off more.

No the commons has been suspended while they count the votes for the indicative votes from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Kind posters here informed me that there is a suspension due to counting the numerous votes. And getting the result right too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Same place they've been since 1918. But of course you already knew that
    Absentee MPs
    They are

##Mod Note##

This issue has been done to death and we're not getting into in again.

Drop it and move on.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement