Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,820 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The whole thing is a great big farce at this stage.

They actually just rejected all types of brexit, and rejected no brexit. How do you work with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

CU would have passed if SNP hadn't abstained:

https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/Divisions/Details/658

or the 9 Lib Dems

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Will they be able to get sufficient votes for a GE? I don't see much reason to assume it will happen.

A general election doesn't have to be passed by the HoC. May can just call one as she did in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Letwin supports the WA. People shouldn't be attaching false motives to him.
    This selecting options is a fallback position, in his mind. Others who supported him in the process, had various reasons.
    The vitriolic opposition by some MPs was saddening.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Some things astonishing from that
    - DUP voting against customs union.
    - Lib Dems and SNP abstaining.

Seems like some of these voters may have decided to vote for their most favoured options and abstained on other stuff that they like in the hope that it doesn't pass at the expense at what they really want. Suggests even SNP and the Lib Dems are playing games now as well, which is a little surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Surely it's pretty obvious what can and should happen - Ken Clark's content proposal + Margaret Beckets process proposal on Monday

Those are also two serious politicians.

Approve withdrawal deal with permanent customs union. The referendum for this deal or stay in EU.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Bercow is the only competent one

I find him overbearing. It's just a massive stage for that guy. All about putting on a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Laois_Man wrote: »
    A general election doesn't have to be passed by the HoC. May can just call one as she did in 2017

That was passed by parliament. Fixed Term Parliament Act requires it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Can I also just say that I would not be surprised if MPs didn't understand what was happening tonight and they weren't aware on what and how they were supposed to be voting. Seeing that there was no whipping (AFAIK) some MPs may have abstained or voted for something they would not again. So as an exercise to reduce the options I think it was successful, even with nothing being agreed. Even if it was it would still be confirmed with another vote and may not have been successful at that later stage.

Devnull yes there was considerable negative voting to boost a group's preferred option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,930 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Those are also two serious politicians.

Approve withdrawal deal with permanent customs union. The referendum for this deal or stay in EU.

Yeah Kenneth Clark has probably forgotten more and seen more than any of the MPs bar Dennis skinner of labour so I wouldn't try and out fox him on anything political.

• Administrators Posts: 53,820 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I find him overbearing. It's just a massive stage for that guy. All about putting on a show.
    He does a phenomenal job to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Remember that these are just indicative votes. The carry the weight of an opinion poll - nothing more. They reveal the hopeless confusion within British politics but nothing else.

Nothing could have "passed" tonight. The best that can happen is that the results give the government something to work on.

Water John wrote: »
    Devnull yes there was considerable negative voting to boost a group's preferred option.

Yeah - having 8 options on the ballot paper tonight probably want against Clarke and Beckett. If there was only theirs they'd probably both have passed but the fact there was too man encouraged tactical voting and spread the votes out too thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Sky News is basically running May's political obituary at the moment recapping on the a career that could have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You can be sure that if the Customs Union proposal makes it to round two the SNP will back it.

Yeh? Why didn’t they now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Kate Hoey obviously slept through proceedings. I'm being kind here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

awec wrote: »
    He does a phenomenal job to be honest.

I think so too. He gets a bit carried away with the theatre of it at times but if you actually listen to what he's saying he's always clear, logical and sure footed.

First Up wrote: »
    Remember that these are just indicative votes. The carry the weight of an opinion poll - nothing more. They reveal the hopeless confusion within British politics but nothing else.

Nothing could have "passed" tonight. The best that can happen is that the results give the government something to work on.

Some people abstained from stuff they actually support tonight, because of the fact that they support another option more. If their prefered option wasn't on the table they'd probably have voted for a Customs Union for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

devnull wrote: »
    Yeah - having 8 options on the ballot paper tonight probably want against Clarke and Beckett. If there was only theirs they'd probably both have passed but the fact there was too man encouraged tactical voting and spread the votes out too thin.

On the other hand by having a 2 stage process it's basically eliminated the worst options from the board by significant margins leaving only the sane one's on the board for a 2nd vote on Monday. Additionally it now means over the next 5 days more pressure will be put on them to agree to one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

First Up wrote: »

What needs to happen to make the votes binding?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Enzokk wrote: »
    Can I also just say that I would not be surprised if MPs didn't understand what was happening tonight and they weren't aware on what and how they were supposed to be voting. Seeing that there was no whipping (AFAIK) some MPs may have abstained or voted for something they would not again. So as an exercise to reduce the options I think it was successful, even with nothing being agreed. Even if it was it would still be confirmed with another vote and may not have been successful at that later stage.

Did lab not whip for the Beckett motion? Thought I’d heard earlier they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The position is one for a showman tbh. But behind the showmanship is a man on top of his job and scrupulously non-partisan.

Once you announce you're going, you're finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The whole thing is about show and he is definitely the most competent at it

Yeh? Why didn’t they now?

Because they wanted something else more than they want this, and they didn't want to boost the numbers of another option other than their favoured one, in case it meant that option got more support than their favoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Bercow's the only person stopping the proceedings from descending into utter chaos and he's had to make a few massive calls under huge pressure. Big cajones.

Infini wrote: »
    On the other hand by having a 2 stage process it's basically eliminated the worst options from the board by significant margins leaving only the sane one's on the board for a 2nd vote on Monday. Additionally it now means over the next 5 days more pressure will be put on them to agree to one or the other.

Indeed, but May's deal will be voted for before those options now, and if May's deal passes, as unlikely as it is, these things will not go back to another vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Eod100 wrote: »
    Petition at 5,902,000 + at this stage, it's going up pretty steadily this evening.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

Has no passed the 5,906,000 + mark

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement