Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Headshot wrote:
    Or something might come out of the indicative vote Monday.

Too late on Monday to keep the May 22nd date. It will be April 12th deadline for decision

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Headshot wrote: »
    History lol

But relating to Politics, it seems mostly the French are the resisting to the UK extensions, they were mostly out spoken voice from the last meeting and they just want them out.

I can see where they are coming from but it's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

"History lol". What is this drivel? This is the sort of idiotic sh*te that lead to Brexit to begin with. Oversimplistic "Us vs. them" nonsense. They can never be like us because they're too different. Or something about Napoleon who was vanquished over 200 years ago I suppose.

The French simply seem to be reaching the end of their tether when it comes to indulging the Conservatives and their shenanigans. That's it. Putting forward an idea that a nation of 65 million free individuals hates a slightly smaller nation is beyond daft.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

"History lol". What is this drivel? This is the sort of idiotic sh*te that lead to Brexit to begin with. Oversimplistic "Us vs. them" nonsense. They can never be like us because they're too different. Or something about Napoleon who was vanquished over 200 years ago I suppose.

The French simply seem to be reaching the end of their tether when it comes to indulging the Conservatives and their shenanigans. That's it. Putting forward an idea that a nation of 65 million free individuals hates a slightly smaller nation is beyond daft.

That would be a novel idea if it were anyway true, how many times do we get the expression " Remember the last 800 years"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Strazdas wrote: »
    Katya Adler said on BBC News last night the mood in Brussels is really bad. They are disgusted with how Parliament (and May) are behaving.

I'd say they're amazed and appalled at the circus going on in London. This whole thing makes the Irish Water fiasco look like a well organised job.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,318 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Unfortunately it's always going to be like this. I support your thoughts completely on this but unfortunately it's just what we see in Politics these days and I cannot ever see it change.

You will constantly see the likes of the British blaming the Germans for their woes in Europe and bringing up the war etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Hypothetically speaking.

If the WA vote was held via a secret ballot. I wonder if it would pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Hypothetically speaking.

I would say yes. I have read journo's comment the exact same. Too many politicians wanting to save face and not change.

Also I would imagine absolute brexit fatigue would cause some to vote for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

I would say yes. I have read journo's comment the exact same. Too many politicians wanting to save face and not change.

Also I would imagine absolute brexit fatigue would cause some to vote for it.

This is exactly what I was thinking too

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hypothetically speaking.

If all the ballots were secret then we wouldn't be where we are.

Can they actually have secret ballots out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Are they voting on the elements that contain the backstop tomorrow?

What are the chances of it passing (without DUP)?

Well they are voting for the deal with the backstop as you said so the chances of it passing based on the previous votes should be small. But she is bound to get more support than last time. Even if she had DUP support I don't think she will get it through as there are enough ERG members to oppose it and you will have some Conservatives that will also vote against it. The Labour MPs that will go against the whip will not be enough to get it through, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't know and a quick search doesn't bring up any results. My thinking would be that you cannot have secret ballots as your MPs votes should be recorded for reference. If you don't agree with their voting record you can write to them or not vote for them in the next election. If there was secret ballots then while they could speak against a motion they could vote for it and be open to influence to buy their votes.

I mean if there vote was secret what is to stop outside influences from paying for those votes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Parliament can do what it wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

What time tomorrow is the vote in Westminster due at?

bazermc wrote: »
    What time tomorrow is the vote in Westminster due at?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/mar/28/brexit-latest-news-live-no-deal-on-12-april-most-likely-unless-mps-back-mays-deal-or-alternative-says-letwin-politics-live

MPs are scheduled to vote on Theresa May’s withdrawal agreement alone from 14.30 tomorrow, the 29th of March, the day Britain was originally meant to exit from the EU. Unless some last-minute shifts occur, it would be a huge surprise if the prime minister managed to get enough MPs to back her agreement, even after having separated it from the deal’s political declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hypothetically speaking.

If it was a secret ballot, revocation of Article 50 would have happened months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Alberto Nardelli reports that the divorce deal, citizens' rights, and the backstop would remain prerequisites to trade talks in a no deal scenario:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/eu-uk-brexit-choices-no-deal-delay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭trashcan

DrumSteve wrote: »
    There is a part of me that wants to see the EU call their bluff and turf them out.

Let them **** or get off the toilet.

Another argument for that is the leave voters ( at least large numbers of them) still don't seem to get it. If Article 50 is revoked, or they are narrowly defeated in a referendum ( and I can't seem it being other than extremely close again) there will be ongoing war with them and their leaders for the foreseeable future. Maybe the only thing that will bring them to their senses is to see how their no deal promised land works out in reality. Of course the tragedy is by the time they truly realise what they've done to themselves it will be too late. It won't be easy to put the toothpaste back in that tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Rees Mogg on news night taking offense at someone on hje bbc allegedly comparing the erg to the NF in France, and then pays tribute to the DUP who he shares many values with! What a shyster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The big question is if they dont get it over the line tomorrow how will the EU react???

The EU knows as well as everyone else that it’s not getting over the line tomorrow

They won’t say much publicly other than politely reminding the UK that they’ve only got 2 weeks left, and not a second more, to come up with a cohesive plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Newsnight commented that two thirds of NI voted against Brexit and decided they would visit it to find out the views on the ground. They visited Ballmena and East Belfast only, FFS!!

Water John wrote: »
    Newsnight commented that two thirds of NI voted against Brexit and decided they would visit it to find out the views on the ground. They visited Ballmena and East Belfast only, FFS!!

What do you expect by the ministry of UK propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If you want to understand the DUP, tune into the DUP adviser on Newsnight.

Extraordinary arrogance and rudeness.

Jon Worth on Twitter made a really good point a couple of days ago. Many commentators say that should there be MEP elections in the UK that anti EU/UKIP would clean up. He made the point that actually, the true irony of Brexit is that it has lead to a europhile rising ie marches, petition and millions of people who want to remain, now old enough to vote etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Jon Worth on Twitter made a really good point a couple of days ago. Many commentators say that should there be MEP elections in the UK that anti EU/UKIP would clean up. He made the point that actually, the true irony of Brexit is that it has lead to a europhile rising ie marches, petition and millions of people who want to remain, now old enough to vote etc.

Hadn't thought of that factor. Would love if Farage lost his seat.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Hadn't thought of that factor. Would love if Farage lost his seat.

Either had I. 33 million voted in the referendum, 16 million voted in the last MEP elections. Thats 17 million Brexit voters floating about this time! Could make for interesting results.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

trashcan wrote: »
    Maybe the only thing that will bring them to their senses is to see how their no deal promised land works out in reality. Of course the tragedy is by the time they truly realise what they've done to themselves it will be too late. It won't be easy to put the toothpaste back in that tube.

Is it indeed necessary at this stage, at least in the short term, that the UK leave? I'm wondering what difficulties might arise were they to remain and whether, by way of a cooling-off period, it's in everyone's interest that they leave, and maybe come back in a few years when they get their house in order.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hermy wrote: »
    Is it indeed necessary at this stage, at least in the short term, that the UK leave? I'm wondering what difficulties might arise were they to remain and whether, by way of a cooling-off period, it's in everyone's interest that they leave, and maybe come back in a few years when they get their house in order.

If they rejoin, they have to adopt the Euro.
    So once they're gone, they're gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

josip wrote: »
    If they rejoin they have to adopt the Euro.

And that would be the red line to trump all red lines I assume?

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement