Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So what does the EU have planned for this outcome?
    https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1111640125690310656

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No deal Brexit on 12 April unless the UK requests an extension and has a pretty good plan to justify one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The £ in freefall too. Down 4 points on this morning.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

What a ****show

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Corbyn again selfishly and cluelessly calling for a General Election, yet going off literally every poll he simply cannot win one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

VinLieger wrote: »
    Corbyn again selfishly and cluelessly calling for a General Election, yet going off literally every poll he simply cannot win one

Labour lead 39-35 in the latest Survation poll, released last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What happens now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭golfball37

Can they just leave without a deal on April 12th and stop all this uncertainty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

bear1 wrote: »
    What happens now?

Further round of indicative votes on Monday and then May will probably start pushing her deal again. After that, God only knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,639 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What happens now?

One theory is that the UK will appeal to the EU for a year long extension to the exit period

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Or they could revoke

What happens now?

The UK beg for a long extension to hold either a second vote or a GE. If not then a hard Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

golfball37 wrote: »
    Can they just leave without a deal on April 12th and stop all this uncertainty

But that won’t end the uncertainty. It sets a nuclear bomb off in the middle of it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Strazdas wrote: »
    One theory is that the UK will appeal to the EU for a year long extension to the exit period

Very likely I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Barnier has just offered the UK the Custom Union.
    Source: https://www.politico.eu/article/michel-barnier-eu-open-to-customs-union-with-uk-brexit-deal/
    What does the EU want in exchange for it ? Cash, Gibraltar, fishing rights ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Labour lead 39-35 in the latest Survation poll, released last week.

They'll do even better if Bojo takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

devnull wrote: »
    Customs union was by 6 after the recount.

They'll have to start seriously discussing that in parliament, but it seems that May will resist that at all costs, even at the cost of No Deal. She needs to take the blinkers off - she should've done that a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

34 Tory Rebels, and 10 DUP, means 13 odd Labour rebels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

I really don't see what good a general election does. The two main parties are divided. At this stage the EU need to spell out to them what to do, and under what terms they will accept a long extension.

If I was JCJ I would be saying you can only have a long extension to facilitate a people's vote, on the withdrawal agreement vs remain.

I'm sure this is unlikely though. Well, as unlikely and also likely as literally every single other option.

Complete and utter catastrophe for UK politics.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Very likely I’d say

They need to give something in return for a long delay. 2nd vote or revoke. That is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

If he puts a second referendum as the highlight of his campaign grand, if not then whats the point? Leavers will lose in remain areas, while remainers will lose in leave areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He way outperformed polls last time. Of course he’ll back himself, why be in the role if you wouldn’t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Didn't realise there was another pro-remain assemblage today.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Shelga wrote: »
    I really don't see what good a general election does. The two main parties are divided. At this stage the EU need to spell out to them what to do, and under what terms they will accept a long extension.

If I was JCJ I would be saying you can only have a long extension to facilitate a people's vote, on the withdrawal agreement vs remain.

I'm sure this is unlikely though. Well, as unlikely and also likely as literally every single other option.

Complete and utter catastrophe for UK politics.

Yeah, I can't see a general election making a difference. Politicians are voting whatever way they want to, they're not voting along party lines. Their country is ****ed at the moment, completely divided.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What happens now?
    May's response to the defeat was pretty clear that if the WA is dead, then the UK is going to be taking part in the EU elections.

Meaning a very long extension to this mess.

Based on what's going on right, the WA will be defeated if she goes again, May will step down, and the only option put to MPs will be to approve an extension into 2020. It's either that or allow Britain to fall out with no deal, right in the middle of a GE campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

seamus wrote: »
    May's response to the defeat was pretty clear that if the WA is dead, then the UK is going to be taking part in the EU elections.

Meaning a very long extension to this mess.

But she has nothing (consensus on a way forward) to get that extension.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    N'ah - they still need another 55-60 switches!

Good shout!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

She won't be able to call another MV, can she?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Good shout!
    Naw, she was only short by 29 switches.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement