Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

She won't be able to call another MV, can she?

I'm pretty certain they've talked about MV4, 5, AND 6!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Assuming no, unless she can find some way of changing it enough for Bercow to allow it.

Naw, she was only short by 29 switches.

She lost by 58 in total...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Assuming no, unless she can find some way of changing it enough for Bercow to allow it.

It's quite nebulous. I thought today was the last chance or they have to come up with something new by April 12.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Yeah, but if 29 of those had voted the other way, it would've been a tie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

The £ in freefall too. Down 4 points on this morning.

Thats weird...They normally go in opposite directions when reacting to Brexit "news"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

But if a rejecter didn't vote to reject and voted for the deal instead, that's a sum of 2 more for the deal.
    We are talking swing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

It's quite nebulous. I thought today was the last chance or they have to come up with something new by April 12.
    Careful with the use of that word regarding TM...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Kalyke wrote: »
    Thats weird...They normally go in opposite directions when reacting to Brexit "news"

"Freefall" is a very strong word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Balanadan wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't see a general election making a difference. Politicians are voting whatever way they want to, they're not voting along party lines. Their country is ****ed at the moment, completely divided.

I think a General Election would make a significant difference.

My belief is that the electorate would increasingly move Labour's way during a campaign, as they would realise the need for change to break the deadlock, and Labour could actually end up with a decent enough majority.

If that were to happen, it's a complete game changer as regards Brexit, presuming there is another extension.

However it's possible that Labour's Customs Union proposal could even be adopted by parliament in the coming week through Ken Clarke's amendment.

That would put May in an impossible position. Would she accept the will of parliament or go against them?

Going against them would turn an already grand farce into an almost unimaginable one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There was definitely an indication in her speech that she was going to go again.

Otherwise, given the outcome of the indicative votes this week (and potentially next week), she might request the longer extension on the basis that she's going to call a GE and it's clear that the results of that will yield either new red lines (i.e. "Actually a customs union is fine") or a people's vote before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i wish the MP's that voted against the WA came out and said where they stand. are they rejecting it because a better deal can be gotten or because they want to cancel brexit. i suspect its the latter in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It would be some slap in the face if any of the indicative votes get more than 286 votes on Monday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's obvious what the solution is. It was obvious in 2016 that this would be a sh*tshow. And those of use who are aspiring to build lives here are being treated as being unwelcome.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

They can potentially end the current parliamentary session and start a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

In other news, it seems that the EU has decided on a change of colour for its passports. Guess what they've opted for?

https://twitter.com/EPinUK/status/980320102183788544

It's obvious what the solution. It was obvious in 2016 that this would be a sh*tshow. And those of use who are aspiring to build lives here are being treated as being unwelcome.

April Fools joke from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

A lot of MPs mentioning an indicative vote on a people's vote but what was put forward was a confirmatory vote which as my understanding is, is a vote after the HOC passes a deal that will ask the people if they support it YES or NO rather than this deal or remain or this deal or no deal. So all it adds is another layer before a deal is passed. If the people vote no in a confirmatory vote it still leaves the govt. to decide where to go next.

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    April Fools joke from last year

FFS. Was editing my post. Caught that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Boris and Jacob voted against the WA. They're changing their minds on an hourly basis now.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Some MP on now bleating about making the backstop temporary. ****in' hell.

• Advertisement

Boris and Jacob voted against the WA. They're changing their minds on an hourly basis now.

Must be nice to be able to do that. Speaking for the one million who marched last Saturday and the over 6 million on the petition.

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    I think a General Election would make a significant difference.

My belief is that the electorate would increasingly move Labour's way during a campaign, as they would realise the need for change to break the deadlock, and Labour could actually end up with a decent enough majority.

If that were to happen, it's a complete game changer as regards Brexit, presuming there is another extension.

However it's possible that Labour's Customs Union proposal could even be adopted by parliament in the coming week through Ken Clarke's amendment.

That would put May in an impossible position. Would she accept the will of parliament or go against them?

Going against them would turn an already grand farce into an almost unimaginable one.

I think it will be a GE and I do think your unimaginable farce will come true. Theresa May has zero intention of entertaining the indicative votes!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tory split must now be into pole position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Someone accused May during the debate of ignoring the 16.1 million remainers. To which she replied "Those people recognise the need for compromise."

To that I say, I recognised that need on June 24th 2016. However, you and your government have ****ed it up completely, and have burned bridges with all remainers. You don't deserve to lead the country anymore. Revoke, revoke, revoke. You've blown it.

EU released a statement, the end of which says....
    The benefits of the Withdrawal agreement, including a transition period, will in no circumstances be replicated in a "no deal" scenario. Directorial mini-deals are not an option

It actually wouldn't be surprising if UK MPs hadn't actually realized this!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

ERG deputy chair was complaining about people who campaigned for Brexit who then voted against this deal...... the sky reported pointed out that hes also voted against it 3 times...... cognitive dissonance ensued of course

Boris is some man for one man. A fine elected representative :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭nemefuria

They voted FOR it today I believe.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/mar/29/how-did-your-mp-vote-on-the-withdrawal-agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They voted for it.

From the Guardian.
    I've highlighted some of the bigger names.

People who voted against the deal at Meaningful Vote 2 but for it this time include: Lucy Allan, Richard Bacon, Crispin Blunt, Conor Burns, Rehman Chishti, Simon Clarke, Damian Collins, Rosie Cooper, Robert Courts, Richard Drax, Iain Duncan Smith, Charlie Elphicke, Michael Fabricant, Sir Michael Fallon, Jim Fitzpatrick, James Gray, Chris Green, Mark Harper, Gordon Henderson, Eddie Hughes, Boris Johnson, Gareth Johnson, Daniel Kawczynski, Pauline Latham, Andrew Lewer, Ian Liddell-Grainger, Jonathan Lord, Esther McVey, Anne Main, Sheryll Murray, Tom Pursglove, Dominic Raab, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Grant Shapps, Henry Smith, Royston Smith, Bob Stewart, Ross Thomson, Michael Tomlinson, Craig Tracey, Anne-Marie Trevelyan, Shailesh Vara, John Whittingdale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Thought they voted for it this time? Guardian website was reporting that at the time I think?

Whatever, Theresa May has been shown to be a complete disaster as a prime minister time & again now. The writing was on the wall many months ago and she has repeatedly refused to read it. No sympathy whatsoever for her and history will judge her harshly.

Two year extension, general election, second referendum and let the people give a clearer steer in how they want things to progress one way or the other. God knows, she's run enough votes herself now on the issue - time to get out of the way and finally grant some real democracy to the UK electorate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement