Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Really? The latest polls don't suggest a massive swing for remain. Yes a swing, but we are taking 5 - 10%. And then it is all down to exactly where that is. If spread evenly then yeah, it probably makes sense, but if it is concentrated in remain areas then not so much.

I think we here on boards, and certainly in the EU, just cannot understand why people in the UK seem so intent on this course of action. They have been shown in any number of ways how terrible it will be, how they were mislead, how Leave campaign broke the law, and how very clearly this is all just a Tory catfight that has taken over the entire country.

But none of that seems to matter.

The difference between Remain and Leave is that Remain supporters are united in their goal. Leave voters are fragmented between No Deal, Canada, WA, Soft Brexit, Norway and whatever you're having yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think "catastroshambles" is the word you're groping for. And it has the advantage that boards.ie will not censor it.

Malcolm Tucker would like you to know that OMNISHAMBLES is the correct word, in fact it's been noticable by it's absence in media coverage. The BBC really should run TToI as soon as this Brexit business is over

in about 10 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So shock horror the vote was lost. I know this may be unparliamentary language for both a national parliament and the hallowed halls of boards.ie, but is the phrase Cluster**** too kind a word to describe this mess in the UK ?
    Only if you deliver it like Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge.

I'm still standing by my prediction which I've repeated in three threads; crash out due to incompetence. Nothing has shown me any signs the parliament is going to actually have the guts to vote for something as majority and make a decision. The crash out and the consequences of it will then fulfill all relevant requirements (i.e. ERG group gets their crash out pound money, the new leader of government gets an excuse to do what they always wanted to do and sign the WA for lack of better deal while blaming May and EU get's the stability it seeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The British media now needs to begin interrogating the pro-Brexit crowd instead of providing them with a direct line-of-communication to the British public.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Nody wrote: »
    Only if you deliver it like Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge.

I'm still standing by my prediction which I've repeated in three threads; crash out due to incompetence. Nothing has shown me any signs the parliament is going to actually have the guts to vote for something as majority and make a decision. The crash out and the consequences of it will then fulfill all relevant requirements (i.e. ERG group gets their crash out pound money, the new leader of government gets an excuse to do what they always wanted to do and sign the WA for lack of better deal while blaming May and EU get's the stability it seeks).
    Yeah. I think I likened it to flight 401 crashing in the Everglades back in 1972. A similar omnishambles and a pretty comparable end result.

• Advertisement

The British media now needs to begin interrogating the pro-Brexit crowd instead of providing them with a direct line-of-communication to the British public.

TBF to Emily Maitlis last night, she did exactly that with Jacob. In fact, it was less of an interrogation and more of a beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

a well sourced rumor on bbc radio 5... 30 min ago suggesting TM is considering another vote ..

Talk of a run-off between the WA and whatever garners the most indicative votes. That would concentrate minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is the press conference at 5 happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Is the press conference at 5 happening?

Doesn't look like it. No mention of it on Sky anyway.

Talk of a run-off between the WA and whatever garners the most indicative votes. That would concentrate minds.

But it has to be the WA or Revoke? If they decide to go by indicative voting outcome, that requires a new deal with the EU?

But it has to be the WA or Revoke? If they decide to go by indicative voting outcome, that requires a new deal with the EU?

It does but the EU have made it clear that they are willing to reopen the WA and offer an extension if May drops some of her red lines.

It does but the EU have made it clear that they are willing to reopen the WA and offer an extension if May drops some of her red lines.

It would have to be a pretty big majority for the indicative vote so. Imagine May or another PM going off to negotiate a new deal only to come back and not be able to get it through. Groundhog Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Brexiteers protesting outside parliament.

"What do we want?"
    "We don't know"
    "When do we want it?"
    "Now!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Well done lads, welcome to 2016.

476600.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

The £ in freefall too. Down 4 points on this morning.

If you take a little bt of a longer look, you will see that the pound is up at its highest all year, clearly markets believe that a no-deal Brexit is off the table. They fully expect parliament to go for a long extension. That is probably accurate, but does mean that there will probably be a big shock to the system if they do crash out because markets were not expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Interesting nugget from an RTE article - seems 2.5 times the traffic is using sea freight, rather than the landbridge:

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/0329/1039355-brexit-dublin-port-shipping/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hurrache wrote: »

My eyes rolled so far back I can now see my own eye sockets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Nigel Farage giving his "We'll fight them on the beaches etc" speech now. Very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Hurrache wrote: »

Not in the least unexpected. The DUP are driven by their need to preserve the Union as they see it.

Their first choice is to have a hard Brexit that preserves the Union and drives the South further away in economic divergence.

If such a hard Brexit is off the table and the available choices are a hard Brexit with different arrangements for Northern Ireland or a soft Brexit with the same thing, then the DUP are against it. Revoking Brexit is much preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nigel Farage giving his "We'll fight them on the beaches etc" speech now. Very funny.

It's completely gone to pieces for them. Hilarious at this stage.

But I don't put no deal by default out of reach of this dysfunctional Parliament quite yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

lawred2 wrote: »
    My eyes rolled so far back I can now see my own eye sockets
    It is indeed a painful exercise for the DUP to dismount that unicorn they were riding for the last three years and come face to face with their electorate again.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So could the DUP do a complete 180 on Brexit?!

That would be pretty incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The DUP are a joke.
    99% of their concern is for the union, 1% for Brexit.

Now with any normal society, once it came to the next election such a party holding such views which could likely destroy any economy thats left in NI, would be destroyed in the polls.

But not in NI, its that thick when it comes to voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

NIMAN wrote: »
    The DUP are a joke.
    99% of their concern is for the union, 1% for Brexit.

Now with any normal society, once it came to the next election such a party holding such views which could likely destroy any economy thats left in NI, would be destroyed in the polls.

But not in NI, its that thick when it comes to voting.

Northern Ireland seems to be living in the 1900's with regards to politics. No bigger picture or understanding how interconnected the world is now

• Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Do we know what labour MP's voted for May's deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

bilston wrote: »
    So could the DUP do a complete 180 on Brexit?!

That would be pretty incredible

RealPolitik.

Who cares anyway as long as they realise that staying in EU is actually the best deal for NI (and of course ourselves). I think anyway, that Dodd's statement is quite significant.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Interesting nugget from an RTE article - seems 2.5 times the traffic is using sea freight, rather than the landbridge:

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/0329/1039355-brexit-dublin-port-shipping/

That'll only increase.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement