Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The BBC have released their flowchat with an update:

_106230053_brexit_flowchart_next_steps_29_march_640-nc.png

Nice to see any possible vote on the WA pushed well back.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

NIMAN wrote: »
    The DUP are a joke.
    99% of their concern is for the union, 1% for Brexit.

Now with any normal society, once it came to the next election such a party holding such views which could likely destroy any economy thats left in NI, would be destroyed in the polls.

But not in NI, its that thick when it comes to voting.

Vox pop on the BBC from Larne last night was hilarious.. bunch of angry middle aged men not quite so eloquently pushing for the DUP to fight to the end..

For what they were to fight for wasn't clear but the important thing was the fight.

As an aside - who goes to Larne to get a reasoned viewpoint on anything? BBC must have quite literally found the first few people to interview after they got off the ferry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Reckon dodds & the duppers have also finally copped on to the lean from the rich protestant farmers and business leaders in the north.
    If they had an election up there tmoro, the uup and alliance would make serious inroads to their base

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Headshot wrote: »
    Do we know what labour MP's voted for May's deal?

MqowYCO.png

https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

NIMAN wrote: »
    The DUP are a joke.
    99% of their concern is for the union, 1% for Brexit.

It's not really for the so-called Union it's for British/Unionist control of the north. If they were truly for the so-called union they'd be trying to make the north a pluralist society where everyone enjoyed the same rights/norms as everywhere else in Ireland and Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

These five. Surprisingly not including Kate Hoey.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

prawnsambo wrote: »

Cannot believe Kate didnt vote for it.

Really surprising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/mar/29/how-did-your-mp-vote-on-the-withdrawal-agreement

Lab
    Sir Kevin Barron
    Rosie Cooper
    Jim Fitzpatrick
    Caroline Flint
    John Mann

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

retalivity wrote: »
    Reckon dodds & the duppers have also finally copped on to the lean from the rich protestant farmers and business leaders in the north.
    If they had an election up there tmoro, the uup and alliance would make serious inroads to their base

And yet they dismissed those same farmers in parliament today during the debate.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Does Jeremy Corbyn really think there’s time for a general election between now and the 12th of April?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

MadYaker wrote: »
    Does Jeremy Corbyn really think there’s time for a general election between now and the 12th of April?

He wants a request for a long extension to allow a general election

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Please do not dump links here. Post deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭kalych

I think a people's vote could do with a rebrand ahead of MV4. Meaningful People's Vote, anyone? 🀗

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Usual shenanigans from Westminster. Who knows what May will come with for the EU summit on the 10th. Very strong possibility the EU27 will call a halt to it all on that date, the continued uncertainty and debacle from Westminster could well elicit an enough is enough response. If so I think only a referendum would halt a no deal, a GE could well result in more paralysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's not really for the so-called Union it's for British/Unionist control of the north. If they were truly for the so-called union they'd be trying to make the north a pluralist society where everyone enjoyed the same rights/norms as everywhere else in Ireland and Britain.

It does smack of a last ditch, all in effort to preserve what is left. It is the only reasonable explanation of why they have gone steadfastly against all agri/business interests on their home turf.
    I think their leaflet campaign underscores this too. They are trying to find some alliance on the 'mainland', maybe they thought the ERG pony was worth backing.

kalych wrote: »
    I think a people's vote could do with a rebrand ahead of MV4. Meaningful People's Vote, anyone? ��

The phrase "Confirmatory vote" has been doing the rounds lately.
    woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Usual shenanigans from Westminster. Who knows what May will come with for the EU summit on the 10th. Very strong possibility the EU27 will call a halt to it all on that date, the continued uncertainty and debacle from Westminster could well elicit an enough is enough response. If so I think only a referendum would halt a no deal, a GE could well result in more paralysis.

I can't see her coming back with anything big. They EU put nearly two years into negotiating the WA. They won't fundamentally change it. They can't as doing so would require EU-wide ratification. It's no deal or no Brexit now which brings us closer to ending this mess IMO.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I'm not convinced that a general election will resolve things because politicians aren't voting along party lines, they're voting however they themselves see fit. I can't imagine Macron entertaining an extension for a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They need a long extension, a general election, renegotiate the withdrawal agreement, pass it in the HOC and then let the people vote on it. Option A: leave via this agreement or B: stay in the EU.

Seems be a really poor turn out for the Brexit march compared to the peoples vote referendum march

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It does but the EU have made it clear that they are willing to reopen the WA and offer an extension if May drops some of her red lines.

Would someone point me to where the EU have clearly said they'll reopen negotiation of the WA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Balanadan wrote: »

I'm not convinced that a general election will resolve things because politicians aren't voting along party lines, they're voting however they themselves see fit. I can't imagine Macron entertaining an extension for a general election.
    I had thought that no deal was off the table (From the British side) from following the past week and that a long extension would be requested and granted with the separate one for a GE being called.

I'm revising it to a no deal arising through British incompetence and the EU27 concluding there's nothing more to be done.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Would someone point me to where the EU have clearly said they'll reopen negotiation of the WA?

I don't think they've said that. Barnier has said he is open to the political declaration being changed though, and the future relationship being changed. People and MPs still don't seem to understand what the withdrawal agreement is.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/03/29/brexit-eu-would-allow-permanent-customs-union-if-uk-wants-it-says-barnier

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Seems be a really poor turn out for the Brexit march compared to the peoples vote referendum march

Yeah maybe people have things to do on a Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

Interesting nugget from an RTE article - seems 2.5 times the traffic is using sea freight, rather than the landbridge:

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/0329/1039355-brexit-dublin-port-shipping/

One piece from that article sums up Brexit for me.
    A ferry company has begun operating extra services as part of a £46.6m UK taxpayer-funded no-deal Brexit contract.

The first of 20 additional weekly cross-Channel sailings by Brittany Ferries departed Portsmouth for Le Havre at 8am.

The firm said it was too late to cancel the extra crossings despite the UK's withdrawal from the EU being postponed.

Yeah maybe people have things to do on a Friday?

Good point didnt think of that.

I suppose they wanted to make a point of Marching on supposed Brexit day but they could of gotten bigger numbers for the weekend but I strongly suspect they sill wouldnt get any where near the the peoples vote march

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I see Vote Leave have very quietly dropped their appeal to the finding of the electoral commission that they committed numerous offences during the referendum campaign.

https://twitter.com/ElectoralCommUK/status/1111682932979232768?s=09

Of course nothing will be done and there will likely be little to no coverage of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

One of us has to be confused here... The WA, afaik is the housekeeping part of the agreement and has nothing to do with the future relationship, which is in the political declaration. So the UK adopting the customs union would not affect the WA itself, just the PD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Watching the BBC 6:00 News now. The BBC seem to be only interested in the opinions of Brexiters.
    They interviewed an old man and he said "I don't fear a no deal Brexit".
    No crap Sherlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Nigel giving the crowd a load of old crap in Westminister today. The crowd included UKIP, EDL and Trump supporters. They were joined by a couple of Loyalist Flute & Drum bands. Of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

In January, Barnier said that the EU is willing to reopen talks if May dropped some of her red lines. Article

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement