Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

A happy non-Brexit day to all our UK posters!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭briany

Gintonious wrote: »
    Imagine the scenes if Brexit was cancelled or A50 revoked? They are bad when its only delayed!

5 people arrested. That's an orderly weekday night in Rochdale town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

So the 108 times confirmed departure at 23:00 today hasn't materialised. Who'd have thunk it eh?

Imagine all the little ERG'rs right now crying into their English sparkling wine which was supposed to be used to toast Brexit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So the 108 times confirmed departure at 23:00 today hasn't materialised. Who'd have thunk it eh?

Imagine all the little ERG'rs right now crying into their English sparkling wine which was supposed to be used to toast Brexit!!

I’m surprised how low key the “upset” is. This was supposed to be their crowning moment. Now it’s come and gone as a non existent joke

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Just bumped into this on twitter
    Dominic Grieve loses confidence vote at Beaconsfield Conservative Association by 182 to 131 votes; paves way for deselection

Not much sympathy in some of the replies

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1111767579792683008?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭briany

road_high wrote: »
    I’m surprised how low key the “upset” is. This was supposed to be their crowning moment. Now it’s come and gone as a non existent joke

The Brexit train has run out of steam for now, but the seething resentment hasn't gone away. That'll build back up into another explosion. If you combine the gripes about austerity with Brexit being scuppered, I do wonder if that'll lead to something very ugly indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Farmer wrote: »
    Dominic Grieve loses confidence vote at Beaconsfield Conservative Association by 182 to 131 votes; paves way for deselection

Says far more about them than him. He's one of the most able men in the Conservative Party and easily one of the most intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's very ugly - the London gathering tonight - if that's the 'Right' then I am happy to be a loony liberal lefty. As a long time away Brit I am not sorry I don't live there at the moment, there is a sense of security in being European - maybe misplaced but better than the apparent alternative.

briany wrote: »
    The Brexit train has run out of steam for now, but the seething resentment hasn't gone away. That'll build back up into another explosion. If you combine the gripes about austerity with Brexit being scuppered, I do wonder if that'll lead to something very ugly indeed.

Yes indeed. But if the U.K. government had been brutally honest with the idiot public over there then something “may” have sunk in. Instead the division and hatred of Europe were sown in even deeper

• Registered Users Posts: 39,923 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Leroy42 wrote: »
    A CU won't solve the backstop, or would it?
    It would because the customs union would extend over the whole island of Ireland so wouldn’t that negate the hard border coming back ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,923 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So if everything had worked out rightly the UK would have left the EU 29 minutes ago.

What's the sense in Europe- are they leaning towards allowing a long extension or just finally getting shot of them once and for all?

looksee wrote: »
    That's very ugly - the London gathering tonight - if that's the 'Right' then I am happy to be a loony liberal lefty. As a long time away Brit I am not sorry I don't live there at the moment, there is a sense of security in being European - maybe misplaced but better than the apparent alternative.

Trying to be as neutral as possible, I thought that demonstration today was ghastly publicity for the Brexit movement. Two Loyalist flute bands in attendance and then the likes of Farage and Kate Hoey giving speeches and Tommy Robinson on the opposite side of the square. It was hard to conceal this was an unpleasant event with a bad atmosphere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Torres are going the way of the Republican Party in the states - no one with a grasp of reality belongs with them

Time for him to switch sides of the House in Westminster - perhaps head over to Anna Soubry and co

Daily Telegraph saying- Cabinet Ministers urging the PM to embrace No Deal. Like as if it's something warm and cuddly and without dire consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

One does not simply leave the EU without a plan! Thus they got nothing and like it! :D

But seriously the likes of Boris, Farage, Mogg's, Hoey and the rest are the biggest collection of waster's, idiots, fool's, lying shítstirrers and failures and fúck ups. They between them have turned the the UK into a sad and laughable entity all the while doing nothing but waste time and people's sanity for their own vainglorious bullshít. None of them are fit for any sort of office same as the whole DUP they're all out for their own pathetic brandead delusional interests with no interest in the common good or the national interest. They're only fit to be ridiculed and made to be examples of how human stupidity is the cancer of this existence. Meanwhile the opposition has a dope of a leader in Jeremy Corbyn who's quite literally 40 year's behind the times and was given literally the EASIEST government to tear apart factually and has spent the entire time enabling a self destructive polity simply by refusing to do his goddamn job because hes an idelogical idiot like the rest of them.

Britain is a mess, it needs serious sorting out, toxic rag publications like the telegraph, express and the daily mail either need to be brought to heel by not being allowed to basically publish distorted information and outright lies. Their political system needs to be reformed to be more representative and the likes of the leave campaign should definitely been denied their victory by either annuling or rerunning the referendum for blatent cheating.

Stugeon over there is the only leader right now with any real standard's and interest in the welfare of the people she represents (Scotland). Honestly I hope they get their 2nd referendum and use the oppertunity to get the hell out next time because the Tories have shown clearly their interests are not served by them they'll do anything for power no matter who they screw over. As for the DUP I really hope they get their political comeuppance for their stupidity and those farmers and businesses put their money and support into the alliance at least just to make sure they're turfed out. Hang em with their own stupidity I say.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Trying to be as neutral as possible, I thought that demonstration today was ghastly publicity for the Brexit movement. Two Loyalist flute bands in attendance and then the likes of Farage and Kate Hoey giving speeches and Tommy Robinson on the opposite side of the square. It was hard to conceal this was an unpleasant event with a bad atmosphere.

They are the core Brexit mob- no hiding or sugar coating it. That's what they are when you pare it back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1111767579792683008
    Safe seat. The area has been Tory since for ages.
    There was a liberal in 1924 and 1885. The liberal in 1885 joined the Tories.

Like most seats in the UK the voters choose the party and the party chooses the MP, but not in that order. At least with our multi-seat constituencies TD's have to win the vote of the faithful every single time, because it's devil take the hindmost.

In truth these MP's aren't "elected" in the way we would understand. A party "yes man" would get elected every. single. time. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

He'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Strazdas wrote: »

You can’t stop people turning up across the square I suppose.

Most Brexiters aren’t really that thuggish - they are old, rural, often middle class. For that reason any worries about civil breakdown are unfounded. The ballot box is another thing entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

A few more interesting details from the wiki about that constituency.

EU Referendum
    Beaconsfield is estimated to have voted 51% Remain in the 2016 referendum on the UK's membership of the EU.[3]

2010 election
    The Conservative incumbent's win in 2010, Dominic Grieve, with 61.1% of the vote, was the second highest share of the vote in the general election after William Hague in Richmond, North Yorkshire.

He might not be doing what the party wants but the voters seem to like him.

You can’t stop people turning up across the square I suppose.

Most Brexiters aren’t really that thuggish - they are old, rural, often middle class. For that reason any worries about civil breakdown are unfounded. The ballot box is another thing entirely.

I definitely agree that Robinson is not a typical Brexiteer and nor are his thuggish mates.

I thought the demonstration came across badly on TV though and it can't have done anything to win anyone over. Mainly middle aged and older people, all white, Loyalist flute bands, Farage addressing them, 'treachery' and 'betrayal' on everyone's lips......it just seemed an unpleasant event and not something you'd go near.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

After the third defeat of TM's deal, why is there now all this talk of a fourth Meaningful Vote taking place? See this UK newspaper front page headline from this morning.......

Newspaper.jpg

Infini wrote: »
    One does not simply leave the EU without a plan! Thus they got nothing and like it! :D

But seriously the likes of Boris, Farage, Mogg's, Hoey and the rest are the biggest collection of waster's, idiots, fool's, lying shítstirrers and failures and fúck ups. They between them have turned the the UK into a sad and laughable entity all the while doing nothing but waste time and people's sanity for their own vainglorious bullshít. None of them are fit for any sort of office same as the whole DUP they're all out for their own pathetic brandead delusional interests with no interest in the common good or the national interest. They're only fit to be ridiculed and made to be examples of how human stupidity is the cancer of this existence. Meanwhile the opposition has a dope of a leader in Jeremy Corbyn who's quite literally 40 year's behind the times and was given literally the EASIEST government to tear apart factually and has spent the entire time enabling a self destructive polity simply by refusing to do his goddamn job because hes an idelogical idiot like the rest of them.

Jeremy has done ok. He’s brought the Labour Party into a second referendum stance which would have been impossible 2 years ago. And to be fair to the DUP they are politicians of principle, even if you don’t like their principles.
    Britain is a mess, it needs serious sorting out, toxic rag publications like the telegraph, express and the daily mail either need to be brought to heel by not being allowed to basically publish distorted information and outright lies.

Lies yes. Stuff you disagree with, perhaps not. Funny enough what you feel about with regards to Corbyn is exactly the kind of thing the media manipulates.
    Their political system needs to be reformed to be more representative and the likes of the leave campaign should definitely been denied their victory by either annuling or rerunning the referendum for blatent cheating.

They voted (in a binding referendum) against a more proportional system a few years back. If anything was keeping extremists out of UK politics it’s their FPTP system. Be careful what you wish for.
    Sturgeon over there is the only leader right now with any real standard's and interest in the welfare of the people she represents (Scotland). Honestly I hope they get their 2nd referendum and use the oppertunity to get the hell out next time because the Tories have shown clearly their interests are not served by them they'll do anything for power no matter who they screw over. As for the DUP I really hope they get their political comeuppance for their stupidity and those farmers and businesses put their money and support into the alliance at least just to make sure they're turfed out. Hang em with their own stupidity I say.

The DUP will get the same vote as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I wish he was running in my constituency. I moved a few KM closer to central London this year and I now have the pleasure of knowing Kate Hoey will win regardless of my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

WhiteMan32 wrote: »
    After the third defeat of TM's deal, why is there now all this talk of a fourth Meaningful Vote taking place? See this UK newspaper front page headline from this morning.......

Newspaper.jpg

That’s the headline from this morning no? Before they held MV3.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So if everything had worked out rightly the UK would have left the EU 29 minutes ago.

No, it hasn’t been today for a few weeks. There’s a extension until April if no deal happened today (and until May if a deal was agreed).

Monday is therefore very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Shelga wrote: »
    That’s the headline from this morning no? Before they held MV3.

Yes correct - before MV3, which was defeated later in the day. Therefore, I ask why now is there talk of a MV4 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

WhiteMan32 wrote: »

Newspaper.jpg

It's no longer politics as we know it, Jim. The reality of what's going on is lost in a fog of narcissism as the MPs take centre stage. Most of the Tory party don't give a foxtrot about Britain or its people. It's all about Orderrrrr, petty cut and thrust, and pithy speeches as they lap up the limelight. The world looks on aghast but the House of Commons is blissfully unaware. A ship of fools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Jeremy has done ok. He’s brought the Labour Party into a second referendum stance which would have been impossible 2 years ago. And to be fair to the DUP they are politicians of principle, even if you don’t like their principles.

Lies yes. Stuff you disagree with, perhaps not. Funny enough what you feel about with regards to Corbyn is exactly the kind of thing the media manipulates.

They voted (in a binding referendum) against a more proportional system a few years back. If anything was keeping extremists out of UK politics it’s their FPTP system. Be careful what you wish for.

The DUP will get the same vote as always.

The DUP are struggling in the polls. They have completely ignored farmers and business in NI. Might change, but the wind is against them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement